Home General Discussion

Matching Concept To 3D Camera..

Dave Jr
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys,

I'm currently at work so apologies for any posting my actual camera view from MAYA but I wanted to query this whilst I had a few minutes of spare time.

I'm currently working on this concept:
hac0.jpg

However my camera view does not allow me to have such as large amount on screen at all times. In that although I match up the "Tavern" quite well in my blockout when overlayed in photoshop; I have no where near enough space on the left side or above it for a sky.

So, what I'm asking; is there any way to *MAGICALLY* match the camera view size to a concept image size? I.e 1600x900?

Hope this helps; if not ill post an image after work.

Cheers.

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yes, sort of.

Go into your render settings and set the rendering size to whatever size of the image you are trying to create, here 1600WX900H.

Then, in whichever maya camera you are trying to match the concept (top, right, left, perspective, or a camera you have created specifically for this purpose), click 'view' in the upper left of that window, then 'camera settings' then tick the box 'resolution gate'.

A green window with your exact size RATIO will pop up, framing inside that cameras view.

My suggestion is that you:

1 - create a camera specifically for this. Be sure to try to match the FOV as closely to the concept as you can using whatever perspective information is in your image.

2 - Match you view.

3 - Once you have your view matched, go to 'view' --> edit bookmarks --> new bookmark.

___

This will create a camera location bookmark. If you ever mess up by moving your camera, or want to slightly adjust things without losing your old spot, you can click 'view' --> bookmarks --> and then click whichever bookmark you had created.

When you do that, your camera view will snap back to that bookmark, including the FOV.

-- Hope that helps, good luck.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Yes, sort of.

Go into your render settings and set the rendering size to whatever size of the image you are trying to create, here 1600WX900H.

Then, in whichever maya camera you are trying to match the concept (top, right, left, perspective, or a camera you have created specifically for this purpose), click 'view' in the upper left of that window, then 'camera settings' then tick the box 'resolution gate'.

A green window with your exact size RATIO will pop up, framing inside that cameras view.

My suggestion is that you:

1 - create a camera specifically for this. Be sure to try to match the FOV as closely to the concept as you can using whatever perspective information is in your image.

2 - Match you view.

3 - Once you have your view matched, go to 'view' --> edit bookmarks --> new bookmark.

___

This will create a camera location bookmark. If you ever mess up by moving your camera, or want to slightly adjust things without losing your old spot, you can click 'view' --> bookmarks --> and then click whichever bookmark you had created.

When you do that, your camera view will snap back to that bookmark, including the FOV.

-- Hope that helps, good luck.

Thank you so much!

Greatly appreciated, this was driving me crazy haha.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers guys,

managed to apply what you reccomended quite well.

Having difficulty solving the FOV - is there an easier way other then just moving it closer/further until I have a similar result - and by that I mean a general rule of thumb or an easier option then a dozen renders
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Click the camera icon and adjust the fov slider there, also take the suggestion about the perspective lines, that should help a bit too. Probably you'll never get it perfect, but I'm guessing you'll be able to come fairly close.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    Click the camera icon and adjust the fov slider there, also take the suggestion about the perspective lines, that should help a bit too. Probably you'll never get it perfect, but I'm guessing you'll be able to come fairly close.

Cheers for the help Ysalex, I was just finding issues over the FOV before the view; so was moving things about to match the FOV... then double checking the view;

Kind of backwards approach I know; but i'll continue playing.