Home Technical Talk

Zbrush : 3dsMax Unit Ratio?

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
Here's a question which I've had for a good while and have never found a solution to: Is there an established ratio between default Max units and zbrush's pixol unit scale (or whatever it's called).

This question stems from an issue I have been dealing with today where a model I had begun in 3ds Max and taken into zbrush to detail has now lost it's original scale when I bring it back into Max )it's considerably smaller). These are dozens of individuals .objs we are talking about here, and it's not very practical to individually re-scale each object. The scale between the old and new elements obviously needs to align ideally perfectly for baking purposes, so I was hoping there is some sort of known factor by which I could scale in a batch import so I wouldn't have to do it all by hand. I've done a few quick tests and it seems like a rough estimation would be about 17.3:1 for Max:Zbrush in my case, but I'm not sure if that would be the same for everyone (which is essentially my question lol).

Knowing the cause of the re-scaling in zbrush doesn't really help me much now in this particular situation, but for what it's worth, I have no idea how this happened. I'm typically very careful when going between max and zbrush for this very reason, and I had gone back and forth several times between the two programs during this project with no issues. I use Subtool master to do batch exports of subtools when exporting from Zbrush, and when coming from 3ds Max, I group everything before export. Typically this works out for me just fine, but for whatever reason this time around my scale got thrown out of wack.

And before people scold me for not using Go-Z... I am aware lol, and after this experience I will use it more in the future, but it doesn't help me in this situation at the moment. But those kind of tips/workflows for future projects are greatly appreciated though, as I would love to avoid this mess in the future.

Thanks!