Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Sci-fi Corridor!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Soldeus polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys!.

I've been trying to get to work and make an environment, so I could improve my workflow and other things I didnt have clear yet, like nDo, how to make proper speculars and modularity and tileable issues..., So, decided to make a simple sci-fi corridor to try and learn all this things. I started with the idea of a very clean and futuristic corridor, and had the luck of finding this amazing concept art by Chromoform
034_max.jpg

So decided to give it a try and here's the result. All the renders are from marmoset. The textures in the image are at a higher res than the ones used for the Marmoset render.

BYjlcOz.jpg
nLpT4nN.jpg
YuS4MvY.png

Any criticism is more than appreaciated!.

Replies

• Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Well I'd say you hit the concept pretty well, though IMO I feel like the concept itself lacks any real contrast/ is a bit too repetitive for my tastes in terms of showing off your ability to model.

Maybe you could add some inlets or something to break up that corridors spacing a bit? Maybe break off into a more open section/doorway entry with benches/etc? Anything that could add a spice of color to it which should really pop since it would turn it into a spot color piece. Green plants/ red pipes/something to make it be a little less passive.

I'd say the concept's color striping itself is a little confusing as well, i wish there was a bit more of a lip on those black plate sections to make it read as more of a separate plate and less a paint overlay.

Then again you got the concept down pretty well, so it may be a matter of personal taste :)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I definetely see what you mean.This was my first environment so thought off starting small with a simple yet nice looking concept and when I get the hang out of the workflow thingy then jump into some heavier and more complex things.

While working on it I too thought off adding something to break in the tiling of the environment(Maybe some circular pilars in the sides) but I also wanted to stick and try to match up the concept as much as I could so It was a small internal fight I had with myself, decided to stick to the concept at the end.

So I guess thats the most I can get of it, already looking for inspiration for more environment work.

Thanks for the criticism!
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The way you're half-rendering the wireframe doesn't work. Make one 'in-game' rendering, and one with a wireframe, and possibly with flat/fullbright textures.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Nice, feels very flat tho; put emphasis on any recesses man, like the ceiling for example. Slap a cubemap everywhere :D! and push the material definition between between matte surfaces :thumbup:

I'd agree with having one shot without wires well :)
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Snader : Thought using that half-rendering wire would look nice, looks like I was wrong! Getting rid of it in next projects for sure. Still trying to achieve some kind of standard compo for my presentation shots.

Here are the shots without wireframe.

vlJtRgW.jpg
    yrqDEn8.jpg
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    That's nice and clean, it reminds me of Kamino from Star Wars:

562743362_6150e08c80_o.png
  • Soldeus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, what a coincidence. That was actually what I had in mind when I started looking for reference and concepts, and comparing that picture to the concept. I can clearly see that chromoform(the concept artist) took an enormous inspiration from it!
  • Lephenix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lephenix polycounter lvl 6
    Definetly! Keep up the good work :).