Home Technical Talk

New CryEngine with Physically Based Shading

Dashiva
triangle
Offline / Send Message
Dashiva triangle
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHiqHzxZSMU"]CRYENGINE Demo - YouTube[/ame]

I had given up on CE3 because of the silly login/DRM requirements, but apparently those are now gone. While I'm excited about the physically based shading the CryMannequin system looks more interesting. Getting animations working in CE3 was a nightmare (for someone with my skill level at least). Has anyone had a chance to use this version yet, and if so, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think it looks amazing. I was just tarting a new project and i was thinking planning to use the Free SDK. But i read on the page that they would update the engine somehow.

My question is, is this that update? In that case it would be amazing. Also, do we know yet if the SDK will be free like the old one or is the update only for the commercial lisence?
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    Visceral wrote: »
    I think it looks amazing. I was just tarting a new project and i was thinking planning to use the Free SDK. But i read on the page that they would update the engine somehow.

My question is, is this that update? In that case it would be amazing. Also, do we know yet if the SDK will be free like the old one or is the update only for the commercial lisence?

AFAIK the free SDK and the commercial are the same thing, except with the commercial you get full source access. The 'updates' worry me though. I had a map that was completely hosed by the login and server troubles they had awhile back.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Is this in the free SDK?
  • Dashiva
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dashiva triangle
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Is this in the free SDK?

As far as I know this includes the Free SDK.
  • encore
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    encore polycounter lvl 5
    Dashiva wrote: »
    CRYENGINE Demo - YouTube

I had given up on CE3 because of the silly login/DRM requirements, but apparently those are now gone.

That's good news. I don't use CE3 for the same reason.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] polycounter lvl 3
    BARDLER wrote: »
    Is this in the free SDK?

Looking on their site it looks that the free SDK is stuck on 3.4.5 version last updated on 18.04.2013, but according to latest news it should get also update this week or so.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its great ! First free engine to support PBL ! Im so hyped, going to be awesome learning some new workflow :D
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    From what I've seen, yes, these features and the older tech demo that showed off Crysis 3 tech will be coming in the update. Crytek is doing away with some free SDK restrictions(like working offline), but they haven't said anything else. I'm pretty sure the free SDK has all of the same features as the licensee version, aside from the fact that they're already using the stuff from the Crysis 3 demo I think and they have access to source code.

I'm loving the new site and logo, but the new "Achieved with CryEngine" splash screen is a little disappointing. :shifty:
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Question.

How do you suppose physically based shading will be implemented? What I mean is, is physically based shading typically a set of parameters similar to HDR and other lighting tools that can be ticked on/off and adjusted PER object?

Or, is it a global world effect where as its an automatic feature that every object in the scene/level is effected by, and is globally controlled through parameters (if controlled at all)?

I know its not released yet, though figured I would ask incase anyone here has a better understanding of what it actually does/is/how its used :)
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
  • sargentcrunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sargentcrunch polycounter lvl 10
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I FUCKING LOVE THIS INDUSTRY.

That water drying up at the end.....My god. I want to punch babies and jump out the window. at the same time. With explosions. Powered by CE3
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What exactly is physically based shading? I see that it looks beautiful, but what it makes it different? I don't understand the technical part of it at all.

Take a look at the link posted above by joeriv. That should get you caught up. The last few pages should have most of the good information since it was merged with another thread from UE4 stuff.

It's different because it allows artists to create more accurate(and modular) materials. It puts more emphasis on the surface and how lights interact with it, more specifically the roughness of the surface as that defines the specular falloff and usually the reflected color.
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    That rain scene at the end (and of course the puddle drying up) was absolutely killer!
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    What exactly is physically based shading? I see that it looks beautiful, but what it makes it different? I don't understand the technical part of it at all.

It's basically how light works in the real world. Light is basically photons being bounced around a room and into your eye. Any point in 3d space is receiving lighting from all directions, not just from actually lights. If you had a sphere ball, any light being reflected by it is lighting being recieved at that point. Physically based lighting is trying to recreate that effect, instead of using a small number of lights to add lighting to a scene.
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    I got a read at http://www.crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf some time ago and thought it was already implemented for Crysis 3...

guess they didn't want to realease to public before actually getting some titles for next gen done?

or I'm completely mistaken and i didn't understand shit in that pdf...

Anyway I can't wait for the update to the free SDK as i really want to try this stuff out!
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox wrote: »
    I got a read at http://www.crytek.com/download/fmx2013_c3_art_tech_donzallaz_sousa.pdf some time ago and thought it was already implemented for Crysis 3...

guess they didn't want to realease to public before actually getting some titles for next gen done?

or I'm completely mistaken and i didn't understand shit in that pdf...

Anyway I can't wait for the update to the free SDK as i really want to try this stuff out!

Yeah, they used it in Crysis 3. All of the features in the older tech demo were also used and available for licensees, but the free SDK is just now getting all of the features.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After reading the PDF and several articles on PBL I wonder is there are tools or corrective things to make sure our textures are correct?

To clarify: Lets say i make a texture, but my AO is too strong, will i be able to check if its too contrasty in engine with some kind of tool, or do i have to rely on if it looks "good".
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    After reading the PDF and several articles on PBL I wonder is there are tools or corrective things to make sure our textures are correct?

To clarify: Lets say i make a texture, but my AO is too strong, will i be able to check if its too contrasty in engine with some kind of tool, or do i have to rely on if it looks "good".
    After you understrand concept making textures for PBR is easier than on old workflow.
    It depends on engine but generally:
    1. Color is just color. Flat color without any lighting information. You shouldn't use any cavity, ao, etc maps on your color. Even micro details are better blended directly in material setup.
    2. Roughness/Specular/whatever engine expose is in general scalar value. Some engines employ specular RGB texture, some just take scalar value. The latter approach is much easier, as you simply define how much reflectivity surface have. No magic involved.

tl;dr you really doesn't need any tools, as the process should be much simpler.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh cool, i guess ill just learn it when i get to it. Thanks!

EDIT: The reason i am a bit confused might stem from different approaches. I have seen the Remember me tech videos where the diffuses look pretty normal, but they keep stressing the "albedo values". They also seem to treat specular at just a solid color, putting all the emphesis of bringing out details with the gloss.

Whereas in the CE papers they do things quite differently.
  • DesignByKivi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DesignByKivi polycounter lvl 11
    Crossposting from the thread in General.
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1904126
    Niuva wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for official Windows 8 support.
    I'm aware that it somewhat works in 32 bit mode, but I'd love to get it working without any fiddling around and renaming files.

https://twitter.com/cryengine/status/370499638685868032

xhcB8Qg.png
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

EDIT: The reason i am a bit confused might stem from different approaches. I have seen the Remember me tech videos where the diffuses look pretty normal, but they keep stressing the "albedo values". They also seem to treat specular at just a solid color, putting all the emphesis of bringing out details with the gloss.

You are right, and we can't be 100% sure, as it seems so far that every engine that employ PBR, do things diffrently, and authoring textures might be diffrent. I just speak from my exprience.

We will see today or tomorrow, but I highly doubt that the process will be complicated.
    Even in previous iteration the gloss map was simple scalar. Whether they rename it to roughness or not is matter of preference. The big thing is how specular is handeled (if it is exposed).
    Albedo/color map/whatever should be pretty transfebale between diffrent PBR engines. The simpler the better. Unless your engine can't handle more complex lighting. But it's easier to add lighting information to he color map, than to remove them.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Besides what iniside said, Crytek used actual RGB textures for their PBR. The only tool you would really need is the Macbeth chart I believe, at least for working with actual textures and not values. Ideally, you just have to get the textures to be at the physically correct value range and be done. They also viewed all assets in test levels during production and then viewed the entire level in Diffuse shading only to test the final look- not PBR related, but still helpful.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it should be out today right? My spider senses sense a delay...the is the 3.4.something editon up on Cryengine.com but i guess thats not it.
  • Gheromo
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tune your hopes down, I'm afraid:
    Q: Where's my PBR?!

You may have noticed a certain CRYENGINE trailer that was recently released, showcasing some of the new features we're working on. We're very eager to get these features into your hands and this is a preview of what we're currently working on. So, stay tuned, it is coming soon smile.gif
    http://www.crydev.net/viewtopic.php?f=355&p=1154023#p1154023
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    well, seems like no pbr for now according to the latest post, that is dissapointing.
    Ah well at least I will actually be able to open my map again and work on it with the removal of the login, and there is better w8 support.

but no changelog + the documentation will be online in "the coming days", seems kind of weird :p
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I don't except documentantion sooner than end of next week.

I wonder how often they are going to relelase updates now. Because really, those random schedules and "ready when it's ready, so we may annouce that we are getting ready". is kinda annoying., especially if have you have no idea what to expect in next release.

On positive side, they got rid of DX9.
  • Visceral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, just going to have to wait then :(
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Wait, what? There's no PBR?!

Guess I wont bother downloading this tomorrow then...
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    well that sucks, was looking forward to this... probably going to download it anyway while waiting for the update.
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    I was thinking it didn't seem like it had PBR when I was using it. Still, there is a very noticeable quality difference for almost everything in this build. Extremely impressed.