Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Classical shotgun with scents of hand painted textures

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
Hello Polycount

It has been a long time since I've made work because I've been busy working on Poppermost productions and after that I've been busy working on a schoolproject.

But now I we have an assignment to make ANYTHING under a week. So I've decided to make a shotgun made only with hand painted textures, which will be fun and challenging!

I've made a fast planing that looks like this

5fdDLVn.jpg

(not pretty!)

The main reference is the one shotgun with red straps on the shotgun grip.

This is so far what I've done!
xV65qro.png

If anyone has suggestions about hand painted textures or techniques I am all ears!

Replies

• Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I am going to go ahead and start the UVlayout now which let me experiment more with the textures later =)
  • Bonkahe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bonkahe polycounter lvl 12
    I'll be waiting for updates, always like to see guns :)
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here you go, bonkahe! :D

I've just started texturing!

AMTUwfc.jpg

ENctR6v.png

During the progress I've thought about just making diffuse just to challenge myself. This way I can get artwork that is more different than my usual stuff
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've got way much time over ( I might have choose way to easy assignment) so I've took some time to making extra features. (lowpoly is good for the soul)

DrTReaM.jpg

I know I still have some better definitions to make on the materials.

I have decided to make the object just a diffuse just for fun!

Comments or critiques are more than welcome!
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the wood and shell textures, the metal could definitely be a little more defined (Maybe some slight scratches/dents/water spots). The only thing that's really bothering me right now is the tape, it's way too bright red in my opinion. Seeing the thumbnail my eye was drawn to it immediately, I would say make it less saturated and maybe give it some dirt or wear.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    I'd call this far from done. You have very little contrast in this. Its very flat and mostly tight details/highlights.

Now I don't know the exact art style but I would definately bake an AO pass for this to overlay on the diffuse and give some of the nooks some more detail. It reads very very flat right now.

you also need to look into the material definitions. your wood and metal read the same. Just from googling I found a few examples of good hand painted gun textures you should probably look into as reference. both are handpainted but realistic to very stylized to help you get an idea.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmGaCe2uTO0"]D FanArt - Leila Gun Texture Painting - YouTube[/ame]

shot590.jpg
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Oobersli and Chandler

The marmoset made it pretty bad because of the lightning, so I'll use maya no lights render for now on to make the diffuse more clear

I guess I want to have a smooth looking shotgun instead of approaching a realistic shotgun making it to gritty ( even thou Artems shotugn is really impressive!)

I've taken your criticism and tried to made it better. What do you guys think about the progress right now?

3Momd1g.png

pbUEKaR.png
  • Christian Nordgren
  • TheMeekon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheMeekon polycounter lvl 10
    I think you could really push this, I like chunky style of it. It needs more contrast and highlights working into it for the materials. The video above is a good example of this.

If you're happy with it and busy leave it as it is but I think it has potential!
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    what you have is better, but yes, push it more. contrast and highlights. also your wood looks more like drift wood. less spidery vein looking wood grain and make it look more like it came from an actual tree.

again, not sure if this is the style you're going for but just some thought. some tf2 stuff.

lYJQX.png
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, after made these final renders I I am going to fix the wood texture more! Then after Thursday I might call it done

9O2I9BO.jpg