Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nature Environment Project

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
felipealves polycounter lvl 10
Hello all! :)

I'm new at polycount, so this is my first thread.

I'd like some critics about my personal project for study purpose, a forest environment for games.

This is my initial attempt. Some low poly mushrooms with diffuse, normal and specular applied.

Thank you!

:poly136:

Replies

• felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the scene that i'm working on!
  • vincentvangeel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vincentvangeel polycounter lvl 4
    Interesting environment you got there.
    I like the detail in your normal and diffuse maps.
    If possible could you show the wireframe of the models and the maps spread out?
    I'm really interested in seeing more of it.
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Could you give s some idea of the scale? The terrain seems very rugged for a forest.
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Vince! Here the mushrooms in wireframe.

And about the terrain i think you are right DWalker, it's a bit exaggerated the deformity.

I'll be posting the progress guys!:poly136:
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I forgot to mention that the art it's for an immature public.

I don't pretend to do a completely realistic modeling, but i'm trying to keep some details..

Here more progress, the first plant is done!
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One more plant completed for scene, with the maps for preview.

Critics are more than welcome! :)
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even if you're not going for realistic, you still need to put some thought in the overall style you want to achieve. Do you have any reference or idea of how you want it to look? Right now, your assets are showing a lot of the hallmarks of amateur work- normal detail is overall too strong, the specular map looks like just a slightly desaturated diffuse (For a plant like that last one, specular is generally going to be close to white as that's the color of the reflected light, example), and there's some obvious stretching going on in your terrain and no real material definitions at all. I think you should also reduce the 'thickness' of your leaves on the plants, it would save polygons and look better if they were flat. Right now they almost look like alien tongues or something.
  • felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I appreciate the helpful feedback Chandler.

I agree with you. The normal is too exaggerated, the specular needs better adjustments and i really am amateur. I'll try to improve this problems that you specified.

But i changed my focus a little. I'll make a unique render of the scene. So i can use a few more polys.

Soon i'll send more progress.