Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Portfolio environment (UDK)

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
Hi everyone!
Im doing this environment I found in the internet, its some kind of workshop, which I find really funny to do. Its a concept of a short film called the ottoman I think. Im planning to make it in a kind of realistic way. I'm also changing some of the texture styles, like the floor and the walls ones that have no volume at all in the original concept, just to give it a touch.

Original concept:

7ko9.jpg

My breakdown:

98t8.jpg

I already started with the texture kits, this one is the concrete walls one, I´m making it a bit different from the concept, since it is very flat and simple there:

c7mr.jpg

nn83.jpg

Thats all I have right now, I will be posting some more images soon! Let me know your oppinions.

Replies

• LiquidSpacie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like this. Gonna keep an eye out on you :)
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LiquidSpacie thanks man! I appreciate that.

Well, I´ve been working on the floor textures, and I thought that some kind of slightly pollished mossy stone tiles would work fine since I want to give it a kind of abandoned style.

This is the floor texture:

cwny.jpg

3a4k.jpg

It looks good to me, what do you think?

I´ve also made the big cooper tank on the lower right:

1a7w.jpg

It has 1032 tris.

I hope you like it, I´ll be posting more images really soon!
  • TactMasterZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TactMasterZero polycounter lvl 17
    the spec map for the copper material needs to be the spec highlight color from the concept art if you want it to look like copper metal. right now it kinda looks like wet wood
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @TactMasterZero yeah youre right, it doesnt really look like cooper, I modyfied the normal map and the spec map so this is what I got, I think its ok now, keeping in mind that its got to get a kind of dirty style:

gyol.jpg

Maybe it looks too bright right now but I think I could fix that directly at the material.

m1rb.jpg
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Javibcln wrote: »
    @TactMasterZero yeah youre right, it doesnt really look like cooper, I modyfied the normal map and the spec map so this is what I got, I think its ok now, keeping in mind that its got to get a kind of dirty style:

gyol.jpg

Maybe it looks too bright right now but I think I could fix that directly at the material.

m1rb.jpg

Your specular is still white. Copper has a orangy sort of spec colour.

Have a read through of http://www.manufato.com/?p=902 it should help.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So is this what you all mean? Looks way better you are right.

ryaf.jpg

sp8e.jpg

But I´m really wondering if this is a valid spec map, I´ve never done none of these before, so I´m a noob with this kind of spec maps... I´m sorry.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Model wise, I would increase the sides by a lot, looking at the concept, the tank is about 1.5-2 times the height of the player, it's a large asset.

And you are using only 8-10 sides, anyone who looks at it is immediatly going to be distracted by it being not round at all.

Texture wise, it just doesn't look like copper/gold, it improved with the spec map, but the bigger issue is just all the random grunge/scratches that don't make sense, especially because in the concept it's a fairly clean asset.

Also not a fan of those rivets, wich aren't really there in the concept, usually on this stuff it's either small bulges (small picture but best I could find)
    http://img0092.popscreencdn.com/106379458_vintage-weeden-steam-engine-wcast-iron-base-copper-tank-.jpg
    or use rivets like this:
    http://www.maidstone-engineering.com/image/cache/data/Copper%20rivets-600x600.jpg

I would really suggest getting a good shader that can use cubemaps (xoliul/3point/marmoset/etc)
    Grab some reference and just really only use flat values in the spec, and more importantly get a gloss map untill it looks good/has the proper material definition.

Then after that, start getting more reference, and just mimic the wear in that.

for example
    stock-photo-copper-distillery-tanks-in-brewery-82325854.jpg

edit: maybe this helps
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/materials
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @joeriv yeah you are right, the tank had not enough sides, I increased them and this is what I got:

va9s.jpg

You were saying that all that grunge didnt made sense since the one in the concept was clean, but I said that I was changing the style to a kind of abandoned place, just preserving the shapes, colours, arrangement and all that, so its going to stay like that, dirty and damaged, but Im very thanked for the feedback anyways :D
    Rivets are there, just look closely, maybe I exagerated them a lot, but I like the result.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again!
    This time I made the rusty iron bars texture on the ceiling and on the right side of the image, and this is what I got:

r1b7.jpg

e932.jpg

I also made the small tanks above the big one:

bil1.jpg

hhmn.jpg

I hope you like it :)
  • Chandler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like what you've got so far, one thing I think you could do is multiply the emissive by a constant to get a glow effect on the lights.
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chandler yeah sure man, I´ll do that when I take the models to UDK, they are being rendered in marmoset right now, thanks for the feedback! ;)
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I´ve been working on the pillars these days, and I got them already, I made a small piece of it which is going to be repeated to create the full pillar:

up54.jpg

And this is what happens when I repeat it:

jt66.jpg

I´ve also made the big kind of fan or drain or whatever it is that is at the center of the room, I´m calling it drain I think...

svjz.jpg

Well this is it for now, I hope you like it!
  • Javibcln
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was trying the main textures (the bars, floors and walls kits) and I realized they dont really fit with each other really well... so I decided to make them like the concept ones, and this is what I got:

Walls:

t0w9.jpg

Floors:

f023.jpg

Thats it, I´m also going to use DX11 to get Image Based Reflections and all that, just to try and see what happens.