Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Request for Portfolio Review [Suchan]

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
cmtanko polycounter lvl 10
Hi Everyone,
Had been working hard to get a good portfolio.And I thought I had good one until I got rejected/Ignored from all the studios I applied as an environment artist and realized its not good enough.

Background Story:
I am from Nepal and there is only 1 company that's working on a game project. Yup that's where I am working now. But its almost done, and looks like I reached the deadend and I can't find any other companies working on games here in this country.
I'd like to improvise my portfolio to another level so that Studios(from other country) would like them.

Please be generous(as Polycounters always have been) and let me know what I am doing wrong or what's missing in my portfolio ?

Images in gdrive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B1eBjvKesfUkbTZyNzJud054NEU&usp=sharing
Blog: http://suchanbad.blogspot.com (though I dont refer this in my resume, its more for personal use)

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There's no difference between personal and professional, only ONE portfolio

No WIPS.

Professional work is only Youtube vids tell employers nothing of what you've actually created making this section useless.

IncessantRain video does not exist.

Personal's out-shine pro work due to number of images, but lack breakdowns (wires, flats, info, etc)

KV-1 Heavy Tank is only piece that has proper breakdowns.

Here & There section makes no sense and is useless.

Resume is too long vertically. Loaded with extra spaces, and employers aren't interested with your interests. Don't pad your resume beyond Skills and Experience.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks man, will work on those note.
    Besides that 1 more question,
    -I am thinking of creating a video portfolio of the UDK maps ,and some assets in those personal section.
    Is it good to make 1 long video with all or specific separate videos ?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Sounds like a demo reel, a single video for employers to watch is better than multiple vids because nobody is going to watch all of them. The focus is quick simplification of content. The less an employer has to click, the more they will see.
  • cmtanko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soon will start making a demo reel with the proper breakdowns and improve the portfolio as mention. Thanks alot.
  • mk1x86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm a programmer so I can't say much about your art (except that I think it looks great).
    The resume though is very boring. I'd expect a clever design from an artist because it shows his/her creativity. Add a little color (only a little like colored lines). Don't use bold and italic simultaneously. Add a personal logo (possibly your name).

Personally I'm surprised that someone with a degree in electronic engineering is making a pass at being an artist.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The main thing bugging me is that I dont know what your M4 actually is. At some places it looks like a bake due to edges, on others it looks like you modeled the "lowpoly without normals but high detail" way that is nearly never used because it dosnt make much sense , if its a baked lowpoly then put some textures on, if its a highpoly then your edges are way too sharp , if its that middle thing, then try doing it the current gen way with high to low with normals

The second big thing is presentation. The font usage on your pirate bay is a major let down, go to dafont.com choose one nice and neutral sans serif and keep that for all your presentation needs. Get some nice backgrounds with very decent gradients and colors

Also try getting a better water shader for your pirate bay. Go to youtube for UDK water stuff. Then apply some color grading to your scene, that will improve it a bunch again

The basement is currently the best in your portfolio id say, the weapon looks good visually atleast, the tank is decent, the pirate bay asell, but you should push out 1-2 new things now, they will be even better than your last stuff and then youre at a pretty good level where you can easily apply yourself