Home General Discussion

Looking for some feedack

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
I normally haven't had a tough time finding work, but for some reason all I've been getting for months now has been "we love your work, but we went with someone else" type responses. I can't figure out if it's something I'm not doing right, or bad timing, or what. So I thought I'd start this thread, and see if anyone could give me some feedback on my resume, cover letter, and portfolio. At this point, anything will be helpful. Thank you.

My resume:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/160301051/Jeremy-Smith-Resume

My cover letter (I always customize the cover letter for the studio I'm applying to, so this does not represent the full cover letter I would send.):
http://www.scribd.com/doc/160303357/Cover-Letter

My portfolio:

http://replicasgallery.blogspot.com

Again, any suggestions would be helpful.

Replies

• mikhga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikhga polycounter lvl 8
    As I'm not a character artist I am not going to crit on your portfolio, other than that I find the lighting in your beauty shots a bit boring. As far as cover letter and resume goes:

Cover letter
    - Formatting is horrible (I assume you are already aware of this, and that it's just a working draft)

- A bit too short and rushed, I feel like the whole cover letter could be incorporated into the body of the email

- I would like to see a presentation of yourself in the beginning, just in case someone who hasn't read your email reads your cover letter

- No header with contact information etc. which I find extremely important.

All in all I feel the cover letter is a bit unprofessional and incoherent.

Resume
    The resume is much better and much more professional. However, the are a few nitpicks I would have changed.

- Your "Objective" feels unnecessarily complex. I would change it to something like: "To obtain a mid-level position as a character artist, and to grow as an artist and creator".

-I would summarize your "Skills" as just "3DS Max, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop." This isn't super important, but I always like to shave off as much text as possible, so it'll be easier to read, and your portfolio will do all the talking in the "Skills" department anyway.

- "Awards" feels completely unnecessary, since you don't bring up what kind of awards they are or what you got them for.

- Your "Interests" I find kind of off-putting, since you pretty much could summarize them as just "Work", which isn't the kind of guy I would hire personally. There has got to be something else that makes you tick that you can add to that list, even the kind-of-obvious generic ones, like "Watching movies, reading books and playing with my dog", would make good additions in my opinion.

The rest of the resume I don't really have any crits on, it's simple enough to understand what projects you have worked on and what you did during those projects.

So, there you have a couple of crits, and this is just my personal opinion, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I apologize if any of this came of a bit harsh.

Good luck with the job-hunting! :)
  • reverendK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    As far as your website goes - It's very broad and scattered. A large part of this is a drawback of the blog format - it doesn't necessarily put your best work first. The content jumps from characters to props, to characters, to props and it's very informal and scattered.
    You might benefit from finding another way to format it so that you can keep the content more organized and show off your best pieces.

in fact, mikhga's(previous post) portfolio is a great example. There are thumbnails with pictures large enough to be impressed by - and which lead to images that show more of that project. You're not currently showing any triangle counts, or texture flats, or multiple angles in most cases.

A complete lack of standardized formatting for your images makes it look less like a portfolio and a lot more like a personal "look what i've been working on" blog - which is fine to have, but I don't think it should be your first introduction to potential employers - it looks very amateur and you're clearly not. I strongly urge you to make a template with your name, website and contact information stamped on it and use it to frame every image you want in your portfolio. This has the added benefit of getting you recognition even if the images find themselves floating around some random tumblr or something.

resume's and cover letters are not my strong point so i won't speak on those.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hmm imho your portfolio is more of a blog, you could do with organizing only a few relevant pieces into a portfolio. It's more of a random mishmash of anything and everything atm dude.

Think about the context of your content, a portfolio basically says "pay me to make this for you". How many game studios hire 3d artists to make iphone covers. :D

Sorting your folio should get things moving :thumbup:
  • Jeremy-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy-S polycounter lvl 11
    Fantastic feedback, thank you. Mikhga, lots of good feedback in one post. It's very much appreciated. Especially for breaking them down the way you did. Makes a lot more sense to me.

I hear the comments on the blog format, and will try to find another solution for my portfolio. I know nothing about getting a site to work, but I'm sure there's plenty of resources out there to help with that. Also, I hear the content feedback as well.

You've given me a lot to think about and fix here, which is exactly what I was looking for. Now I'll be off to make some changes.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Jeremy, I was working on Star Trek for Art Bully at the same time as you. I've also hit a dry spell in finding freelance work or interviews for full-time positions. Hopefully it's just the time of year or lack of projects being in their hiring phase.

In regards to your portfolio, I think it will look good once you remove the non-game related pieces and switch to a format with larger images on the main page. It probably wouldn't hurt to have an organized breakdown of each model (wire/textures/sculpt/finished model) to add more continuity.

I think your cover letter needs a greeting tailored to whomever you're applying, and some grammar fixes. The overall message is good information to include, it just needs to sound more professional. I'd find a template online and scale back the formal attitude a bit to slightly more casual game industry standards.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    tip for the cover letter: don't repeat facts from the resume and waste space. Use it to add background info, to explain your motivation. The cover letter allows you to give them additional info that wouldn't fit in a resume.

Imagine a job interview - the first questions are often "tell us about yourself" and "why do you want to work for us"? Now answer those in a short paragraph and there's most of your cover letter.

About the objective: remove that stuff. Of course you want to grow! I wouldn't even hire anybody who doesn't want to. Wanting to grow isn't an extra, in this industry it is a MUST! There shouldn't be any need to especially mention this. Also lose the mid-level job. This makes me think right away that you have no ambition. Besides it's usually your folio that casts you into a position, not your "I wanna be this'n'that" line in the resume (even worse, when this line doesn't match up the level of your artwork). Just put "Character Artist" below your name. That's easier to see and works for all kinds of positions - so don't narrow yourself too much, unless you can afford waiting for that awesome perfect job where you do exactly what you want.

Probably no need to mention "deadline pressure" in some of the projects. I mean we're in the games industry, deadline pressure is usually a given ;)

With some art bully projects you mention Style: what style? realistic, anime, stylized, WoW-ish? If I invite you to an interview, and if I cannot see it from the folio, I will sure bring this up to see if your experience with a certain style fits our own work.

Some projects don't mention the platform of the game. Depending on where you apply it would help the recruiter if they can see if you worked on the same platform they're using.

Also agree on the interests line. Lose it or make it, well, interesting. If you want to keep your interests tailored to the job, what inspires you, what games do you love? anime, fps? fantasy? or do you paint in your free time? or add some interesting sports, if you're into this. Sometimes people bring it up in interviews and it offers a nice way to get to know the applicant as a person and not just as some human resource that's gotta be cast in a position ASAP.