Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio critique/advice

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Erafic polycounter lvl 10
Heya Polycount!

I'm in the process of looking over my current portfolio and planning out on what steps to take to improve it. Right now I'm out looking for a job in the industry so of course I want it to give as good an impression as possible. The focus I want to give the portfolio in the end would be that of an environment artist, but I don't have any good finished environment assets to fill in that yet. It's something I'll go all in on, but for now I thought the portfolio and what I have so far should be presentable. So! Without further ado, here's the link~

www.joacimcarlberg.com

Any comments, critique or advice would be appreciated. One thing I know the site lacks are the resumes but I'll be adding in new ones later today.

Replies

• JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Hey Erafic,

Your work is really great and the site is a good start, I'm no web designer but some nicer fonts would probably help, maybe someone else can help on the design and layout more, although I like that it gets straight to the point and also the sketchfab integration is cool.

In terms of your work the house and knight are both really great and I love the handpainted style (the tank is also great I just prefer these two :D). You could maybe expand the house into a little scene and throw it into an engine.

Basically just keep going and get a little more content, love the style so keep it coming.
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback JustGarry. Had a look over the fonts and tried out some more interesting ones that might look better. Don't really want them to draw more attention than to say what the viewer is observing ;) Getting the house into a larger scene is something I'm considering, I'm planning on doing an environment scene to increase the new content on the portfolio.

Also, updated the portfolio with some further pictures of the house model (in case sketchfab doesn't work when someone is visiting). Anyone else have some more feedback? :D
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Erafic wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback JustGarry. Had a look over the fonts and tried out some more interesting ones that might look better. Don't really want them to draw more attention than to say what the viewer is observing ;) Getting the house into a larger scene is something I'm considering, I'm planning on doing an environment scene to increase the new content on the portfolio.

Also, updated the portfolio with some further pictures of the house model (in case sketchfab doesn't work when someone is visiting). Anyone else have some more feedback? :D

Your work is of a good quality, you clearly have an understanding for hand painted textures and maybe if you have a passion for it then develop this further. There isn't really much I can say because whilst the content is of a good standard; there isn't much to pick apart.

Make the house part of a larger scene and if you'd like to be an environment artist then a variety of scenes would be beneficial; maybe something urban, sci-fi or of an entirely different concept altogether.
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    I don't like that I can't see more of your house without having to load up sketchfab. It takes ages to load and webGL crashes ALL.THE.TIME. Show me your high-poly(s). Don't knock your own work 'forgot to take the time =/' ? Really really really don't do that. If you show no confidence in your own work then how can you expect other people to? A small number of pieces is FINE, but maybe try and do bigger and better show-pieces as you move forward. Emphasis on the BIGGER, I'm really not worried about the BETTER. You clearly have the talent, now make something beautiful!
  • Catchingdusk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catchingdusk polycounter lvl 10
    Your layout is inconsistent in behavior. Some of the images I can click on to see at a larger resolution, others, like the house or the knight, I can not.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    I like the use of Sketchfab, but it shouldn't take the place of a main image presentation as it's a special plugin. Also, we can look up and see the holes in your house which could quickly be capped.

The actually image of it and the knight are very small. Consider full sized versions.

Otherwise just keep pumping out the content to fill out the portfolio.
  • Erafic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback and critique! Much appreciated :D

@KartoonHead
    Removed the texture images, you're quite right about the texture images and I've removed them until I can update that. Dont know what I were thinking back when I were doing them, got more confidence than that these days.

@Catchindusk
    Fixed! Now all images give you a full sized image when pressed. :)

@cholden
    I pushed down the sketchfab to a lesser position, will probably make new page entirely for the separate projects to minimize the clutter on the main gallery page. Before I do that though I think I'll heed JustGarry's tips and put the house in a proper scene. And you're right about the holes, the house was part of a work sample for a top down game, so the holes were for optmization for that cam angle. Shouldnt take too much time to close them off though, so I'll get to it!