Home Technical Talk

Normal Mpa ray miss headache

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bcottage polycounter lvl 13
The image on the left is the ray miss error i get when i bake a normal map. I have checked the cage it looks like it covers everything completely.

Is there something obvious i am missing?

64jzfuy.jpg

Replies

• s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    are you baking in max? If so, Are you using mental ray or scanline?

The only thing i can think of making an artifact that clean is the cage not encapsulating the high. Even if it looks good, try pushing it out more. To an unreasonable level even, Just to see if the issue goes away or changes.Just for for the sake of saying it, Did you reset Xforms and make sure the low doesn't have any holes, un welded verts, Or other oddities?

Edit: Op. Sorry quack. Edited the same moment you posted. Great minds think alike i guess :)
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Make the cage bigger? The cage on this would be a simple inflate. You can push it to the extreme if you want also to test it out.

On top of that I do have a critique, you should probably reduce the number of sides of the cylinder as the size of the internal cylinders reduce. You are using TONS of triangles on your hub cap that are unnecessary for the silhouette and can be added back into the part of the tire that contacts the ground to smooth it out.

[edit]s620ex1 beat me!
  • bcottage
    Offline / Send Message
    bcottage polycounter lvl 13
    s620ex1 - I am baking using the projection modifier. I pushed out the cage a stupid amount and i get the same result just with other issues (becaus the cage is massive).

I also reset the xform and made sure all the verts were welded.

@ Quack - good idea, i will get to that.
  • Quack!
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    Well since the cage isn't the issue, post up a .fbx and we can take a looksie.
  • EarthQuake
    Make sure the inner bit on the highpoly doesn't have flipped normals (if you have a double sided material or something you might not notice).