Home Technical Talk

V-Tools for Maya?

Hi!

Is there anything like V-Tools for Maya? I figure it could basically just be a script that assigns different color constant materials to separate UV-shells. Would be perfect, if it could also bake these out as a color map.

It can't really be hard to make Maya perform this operation, but I have 0 programming skills and I am scurred of da Matrix ;)

If there is something comparable it would be great to know, since doing it from hand is... tedious and a blockout texture is very useful.

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    I belive one of froyaks tools does this, if not I can make one when I yet home on Monday.

but IIRC frotools can do it.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby wrote: »
    I belive one of froyaks tools does this, if not I can make one when I yet home on Monday.

but IIRC frotools can do it.

I'm surprised you even know what I meant - props to you for actually reading my post :)! I confused vTools with something for Max, but you figured it out anyway.

Yes, you are right. Frotools seem to do the job, and I saw it before, but it also does a lot of things I don't really need. I have a different workflow and only need a basic function of rendering a blockout map. So, I'd be happy with a tool/script that only does that one thing.

I really dig how everything can be scripted in Maya, and if you could actually make that script, I'm sure the community would be happy to share it! I can contribute pretty buttons for the (simple) interface and icons if you are interested. If it's "just" a script however that'd be fine for me, too.
  • Sinking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also - what I do at the moment is:

1. Export a UV snapshot. Open in PS Invert it.
    2. Magic wand the empty space. Invert selection and feather slightly.
    3. Fill each UV island with a respective color.

= blockout map, Phtoshop style.

However, with a complicated mesh this can take quite a while and it is not as accurate as baking out colors from the model itself. It's fine when you are doing simple props, so I thought I'd add that information. Once we can use a blockout tool, this workflow will become obsolete, though.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ya I can easily make it for you, once I get back home, away from home atm and am posting from a phone.

should be pretty simple thing to make, I could even have it open the doc for you in ps for you too if wanted, or just have a file picker to choose a save location.