Home General Discussion

Study session; One day per week (CG.)

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
Greetings and Salutation Pcers;

I am not sure if it'll work but I've asked 2 people thus far and they would gladly support this idea.

Study session on Google Hangout. Now; I understand there can be only 10 people per google hangout session but it would be kewl to ask questions related to the tools, programs, or arts, etc. (No; My GF left me what should I do sort of questions please.) Discuss regarding the tool tips and techniques with fellow PCers live. (Yes I know we do it here.) The reason behind this is we all require instant critique or some sort of guidance if you are interested we can settle a date and time for this study session for one day per week.

Replies

• TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would be immensely happy to partake in this.
  • PxelSlayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 :thumbup:

Also - BYOB. :poly142:
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    could be very good, and you can livestream the hangout via youtube as well. so what you could do is have, say...

two or three permanent hangout participants, who are the "pro's". anyone else can join, they get to ask their question, it gets answered by a pro, that person leaves, and someone else joines. ad infinitum.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    The reason behind this is we all require instant critique or some sort of guidance

Isn't that why we have several hangouts and several skype chats already?
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    :thumbup:
    PxelSlayer wrote: »
    Also - BYOB. :poly142:
    :thumbup::thumbup:
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isn't that why we have several hangouts and several skype chats already?

You mean why this and how is this any different from others? Simple. If you ever been to those type of chats they talk more about random stuff and fool around then ask for constructive critiques or help from each other, their critiques are poor and not very helpful.

This one was more for those who are actually determined to achieve some level of artistry in CG or Concept arts or want to ask questions regarding any program or discuss any program that is relevant to CG or Concept art.

It is not necessary to be a pro artist for this thing, but you have to know what you are doing. Also I believe if there are good discussions (live) regarding the tools, techniques, it may also end you with actually knowing how to learn or achieve a certain task.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Nitewalkr wrote: »
    You mean why this and how is this any different from others? Simple. If you ever been to those type of chats they talk more about random stuff and fool around then ask for constructive critiques or help from each other, their critiques are poor and not very helpful.

You haven't done much of the hangouts I take it? Sure we get off track but we do offer good critiques and help.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    The question is : since this thread is a day old now ... did you start on your first study session already ?

What I am trying to say is : don't wait for others to join in in order to start something like that. It doesn't matter if you are by yourself, or if 9 more people told you that they would join for sure. Simply post the hangout link in this thread every day when you launch your video chat session, with your own pick of a study theme (most preferably a very loose guideline, like "arm anatomy", or, "mid air jump - how to pose it ?") and then people from all skill levels will join in and ... do stuff !

Don't wait for others to push yourself and practice !
  • TeemoManiacal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    The question is : since this thread is a day old now ... did you start on your first study session already ?

What I am trying to say is : don't wait for others to join in in order to start something like that. It doesn't matter if you are by yourself, or if 9 more people told you that they would join for sure. Simply post the hangout link in this thread every day when you launch your video chat session, with your own pick of a study theme (most preferably a very loose guideline, like "arm anatomy", or, "mid air jump - how to pose it ?") and then people from all skill levels will join in and ... do stuff !

+1 for this.

By the way, does anyone have links to any study sessions? I wouldn't mind joining some.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »

I have been studying and working on my 3d model pieces. I thought it would be better to ask and see if this idea was appealing and how many people would be interested in doing such stuff with me before I settle a day per week for it.

Most of the times I am around GH or GH overflow while working on my pieces and we do help and push each other out. But there are those who just become a complete ass by saying "You mo-fo you give the wrong advice, you stoopid," followed by them giving the same advice that I gave, which at the very end after all the efforts to explain the person that both advices are the same, causes me to just leaving the GH. It also throws my mood off, I dont feel like working on anything yada yada.

There are times when people literally tell you that your project is crap and that you should just fuck off and die or start your project all over again.

This idea of mine kind of avoids such moments. It would help people achieving more by being in a positive environment and causing less to no drama.

If this idea is not appealing, you already know that this thread was on the second page. :D

EDIT: I just read your post again. Its not at the level of that just yet. Right now I just wanna know if people are interested. Soonish I will be posting GH links and try to stream random arts. I was really expecting someone from the game industry would step forward and help making this work. :poly122:

EDIT2: I am not sure if I start posting the GH link here, they'll merge this thread in to the GH thread or not.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    well i am interested.
    giving the hangouts a frame so the discussion doesn´t drift off-topic sounds like a good idea.