Home General Discussion

Nividia Shield

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
I came across this piece of gear and found it worth sharing.

They are soon coming up with PC game streaming on Nvidia shield as well. ( think.) Is anyone buying or have experienced this who can share his/her reviews?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LruHuoTHMlU"]Nvidia Shield Unboxing, First Look & Test! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SX4E_SpyzM"]GDC 2013: Nvidia Shield - Skyrim Streaming Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I believe any 600 series card or newer can stream to the Nvidia shield through local wifi. Nice if you share rooms with people and can't play at your desk for any reason.

Being able to play Android games is a bit redundent for most people with a smart phone, but kinda awesome if you already got some high end android games like GTA and Xcom. Maybe this will get Epic to port their games from iOS to android.

$299.00 was kinda the expected price point, it's basically a high end android phone plus contoller. Bad timing to release this when new console hardware is coming out at the same time. I don't see it competing directly with the 3DS or PSP, though at that price, the PSP and 3DS are probably better gaming options, or even just getting a next gen console.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I found the thumbsticks to be very awkwardly placed, which was a deal breaker for me. I can't comfortably reach the sticks with my thumbs, and they're close enough together that your thumbs can collide.
  • Ged
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    do developers of ios and android games have to build thier game controls around this device? if thats the case then most games wont support it.
  • naturon
    We're developing for it (as well as the rest of android and ios) and as far as I'm aware there's no special coding that has to be done other than the standard controller support to get it working on shield. It works just like any other android device that hooks to the play store albeit not as good without the controller support.
  • kiaradlosh
    Nividia has a good reputation on superb graphics not sure if this console is comparable to the console giants though.
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Can someone explain the appeal of the Shield, because I never really got it. You're either paying for a huge bulky handheld to play what you can already play on your large bulky phone, or you're streaming from your computer, which means you're choosing to forego a real controller and a high-res screen in order to play... on your toilet?

It seems like interesting tech, but it also seems like a dubious use of $300. I imagine this tech will be much more relevant in 10-20 years when there's ubiquitous high bandwidth wifi and the cloud allows game streaming from remote servers to major cities (at least) so it becomes a "play anything, anywhere" product.

Of course, in 10-20 years you'll have that capability on your tablet or your google facemask or iEyeball, so, still a dubious purchase the way I see it.