Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

JHS

JHS
JHS
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
JHS polycounter lvl 5
Hi,
i´m new to this forum, but read&watched a lot before. I´m not new to the digital art world and worked for 4 years now as an 2d-3dArtist. If someone is interested of what i´ve done before, i could link to antoher forumthread which contains my whole sketches and works from the past 7years. I don´t want to link to another forum in my first post and i don´t know if it´s forbidded here ;)
I like to have everything on one Thread to see the whole "story" of an artist, so this is not about one project. I hope it´s ok? Also i´m from Germany/Hamburg, so excuse my lack of english :)

But nonetheless i´m here to push my 3d works to another level and so i can show you my own project i´m working on for a month now:

I always liked mechs and i´m totally into functionality and logic structure. I hope this can be seen in the sketches. I´m planning to bring it to UDK, simply to trigger some animations and play arround with shaders and postfx. But have nothing done with UDK before, but i guess i will find all answers here. First of all here are my last pages from sketchbook, where i planned parts of the mech:

jhsonnwald_130718_SB03_02.jpg

This is the highpoly out of 3dsmax, which i seperately load to zbrush and add more details with ram brush and some stamp i created:

jhsonnwald_130803_mechWIP_stamp.jpg

jhsonnwald_130718_mechWIP.jpg

The actual lowpoly model. The skin is completely wip and now the next step i´m working on. In my imagine it´s more desert camouflaged with big seperated colored elements and realistic used look:
jhsonnwald_130803_mechWIP_low.jpg

and the wire (~30000tris altogether). I don´t set a tight polycount limit to myself, so i created a all around uniform solution of polys +some more subs where it seams to be legit. The tubes could be optimized in the front but for now it´s ok for me:
jhsonnwald_130803_mechWIP_low_wire.jpg

Replies

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    Hey JHS, great work! I love your sketches - you have a great sense of design. Please continue to post more work.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    This looks majestic! I guess my only critique would be that maybe having areas of negative space in the coloring, like where there's a lack of camo, might help it pop more in certain areas.

But this outstrips my abilities.
  • acapulco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    That last mech looks cool! Show another view, I dont really understand how the arm and gun are located in space!
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    nice work.
    But if possible, could you upload some slighly larger images, do it a bit more justice than 800x450 :D
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    @Paul: Thank you and yes i will keep on posting. I like your doors :)

@JadeEyePanda: Thanks at the moment i starting to work on the texture, it wont be like that in the final.

@joeriv: yeah, i´m used to post smaller images due to other forums behavior and my hostspace... Also i guess it don´t worth it at the moment to post larger images and you would see all the small bake failures i´m fixing right now :D

@acapulco: ich dachte du machst kein 3D mehr :D Anyways, i did a quick animation to show how this whole weaponpod (i call them racks) system works. In the middle of the hip is a pile where the engine and the weaponsystem is mounted:

jhsonnwald_130803_mechWIP_ani.gif
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work I like the textures and animations.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks David. I´m just starting the diffuse map. At the moment i´m not sure what map i can additionally bake to save time. I guess more rendertotexture would help to get the base structure im looking for. I´m amazed by the "futuristic helicopter" texture, but i don´t now which shortcuts was used there or if it´s all manual work.

So this is one of three maps for the whole mech, it contains the cockpit, the hip an the rack:

jhsonnwald_130803_mechWIP_texid01_diffuse.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    actual state, but still WIP. You guys see the radar thing on the top... the normalmap is flat and i don´t know why it´s shown "cone-like" by light. The geometrie is flat too... hope this is only a problem in XNormal:

jhsonnwald_130804_mechWIP_texid01_diffuse.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    The diffuse looks really nice, really like the mixed colors from the oil oxidation or whatever. It is really noisy tho. If I look at your mesh, there is just too much information. The eye needs places to rest on. Your legs and weapon normals seem to be very messy aswell, maybe its better after that is fixed. Why do you use xnormal viewer for your presentation ?
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Hey thx, while browsing through cgtexture i found this "oil/gas running over metal" and i know i want it to simulate heated metal, like from exhausts. This will look better with specular/reflection maps :) Tomorrow i will bring the other two textures to the same state, this will fix the messy look from the other meshes. The planned playerview will be not so close. I have to see if i have to make details/noise bigger then, so it keeps noticeable.

For now i´m using xnormal because it´s quick and i didn´t build up a renderscene yet. I planned to use UDK for presentation, but never did anything with it, so i have to learn how this works first...
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Hey, what happens when you toss this into Marmoset? It's a lot less finicky than Xnormal's viewer, and it's super easy to set up (export as obj, make sure your normal map's green channel is oriented correctly, go!)
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Thx. Sometime someone needs to force me to use something :) It´s niceeeee. Had heard of it before but never tried. It takes long to load cause of three big PSD files, but it´s fun just to look at it...

Some problem occur and i don´t now what´s the matter.
    1: At some point i playing arround with lightsettings, some parts of the mesh gets dark and styed like this... i saved the scene and after restart it was all normal. Is there a known cause for that?

2: There are some lighting problems (was in xnormal too, but not in 3dsmax) on the geometrie i can´t find the problem. The radar thingy and the hatch from the weaponrack got this misterious radial gradient lighting... the normal map is flat at these spots ...there are no open vertices...

3: At this point there is no problem, but it´s the same style of geometrie like in 1...

Anybody know what this could be? A problem with *.obj triangulation?

jhsonnwald_130805_mechWIP_marmo01.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    current state:
    in the third map i will add the drone and new weapons from the sketches
    jhsonnwald_130806_mechWIP_texWIP01.jpg

anyone know a solution for the problem above?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Looks good, not sure it needs 3 maps though :P

In marmoset go into view, check invert y under normal maps and click apply, should fix your problem.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    @Stromberg: I planned to switch between several parts of the mech, so i thought it would be good to have them in different maps. Maybe i will bring them together later.

I tried but the strange is the normal map has nothing to do with this effect, even without normalmap it shows the radialgradient. Something is going wrong at the export... the smoothing groups are okay, no open seams/double vertices, STL check=ok, resetXFormed, no flipped polygons, slide the vertices a bit so it´s not perfectly flat, i don´t know why it should show such a radial gradiant by lighting.

Any thought i didn´t think of? it didn´t look like a lighting map in 2nd uvchannel, it´s not object spaced normal...
  • silkroadgame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice machine!
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    thx silkroadgame.

i finally found something what should be the matter, but why it is like it is, i don´t know:

jhsonnwald_130805_mechWIP_problem01.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    aah someone had the same problem:
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116474

i unchecked "export normals" in 3dsmax so xnormal/marmoset have to recalculate the normal/binormal/tangent by itself and i finally got the right result in the viewer!

i have to check if this affects the baking progress in xnormal, so i get cleaner results at some parts...
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Actually i´m working on the presentation animation. Here are a few shots. I would really love to insert a nice ground scenery and particlefx, but i have to see if i should better spent the time into another project:

jhsonnwald_130815_mechWIP_aniWIP.jpg
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Hey man, that looks cool but the images are super blurry, and kind of small. I'd do some renders at twice that size, and be sure to sharpen them in photoshop a bit before you post.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    That´s caused by the motionblur from the animation, in the first frame he moves fast. At the moment i´m rendering each frame with double that resolution. Also the gradient from volumelight is now smooth. I decided to finalize it now so i can start with another project soon.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    I like the overall design in the legs. I am just wondering why the weapon has to go through so much to be activated. What is the sense of that weapon system when it could be mounted exterior on a swivel and the arm/racks could be used for something else? Its a cooler design then what I could come up, just wondering about the weapon systems :D
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    Love the design and the animation is pretty rad.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    @Dimfist: Thx. My thoughts about this whole weaponrack-functionality is more about how it would to be played in a game. I imagine that you have to choose which weapon you activate for a situation (short distance/long range/indirect/AA/EMP/shield/etc/etc...) or fold it to the back to move faster (doing jumps/special moves) or be less targetable.
    In the real world i would agree, legs are fragile, have too many moving parts and hard to protect from all sides. Also the weapon should be mounted as high as possible and the ammunition to the back... et voila we would have a tank :D

@Iciban: Thank you.
  • kevlar jens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those sketchbook pages are hella nice i just wish they weren't so small.
  • RailbladerX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RailbladerX polycounter lvl 8
    Amazing guy. Very well thought out low poly silhouette. I don't see a single needless hard edge anywhere.

But the only True Nit-Pic I can see is that a lot of the bakes did not come out very well. Some of the metal seams are hit the hardest. I would say "Screw it" and just throw in an extra 16 polys, in those needed curves to help the bakes. Like add some polys around the front head section and in those areas where the metal seams are bent out of shape.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    @kevlarjens: thx. you can find alot more sketchbook pages and older stuff here:
    http://www.digitalartforum.de/forum/viewtopic.php?p=151050&sid=8f0ca70007779689272356b814d6effa#a151050
    (link to another forum allowed?)

@RailbladerX: Thank you. I also have a lot of bake failures, which i will prevent in future projects. I did only minor texture corrections, but changed nothing on the LP now. While rendering i noticed some of these spots where it could have more subs, but it´s ok for now and for my own ;)

a little speedpaint from my slate, while the desk pc is rendering the mech scene...

jhsonnwald_130820_dragonslair.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    small update... still rendering mech...
    jhsonnwald_130820_dragonslair02.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    jhsonnwald_130820_quadrupedmech.jpg

aaand the animation, which i´m not really satisfied with, but okay to see how the mech works/behave:
    http://www.jhsonnwald.de/Public/jhsonnwald_130820_quadrupedmech.swf
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is sick dude! The animation is awesome! It feels a lot less sluggish and meaty than it should be, this might be down to how fast the animation is going. Your model is also reading very flat, this may be due to the specular map not having too much variation.

On that note could we see your texture maps please :D
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    @Stormfreek: Thank you. As i imagine the mech in game, it could be real agile and fast for short times (thats way there are the heatpipes to recognize overheat). The specmap is intense, but i guess the lighting is not showing it really good.

sketchfab (sketchfab embed link dont work?):
    http://sketchfab.com/m5lk4i3b

p3d.in:
    http://p3d.in/3Oxjr

map:
    jhsonnwald_130820_quadrupedmech_tex01.jpg
  • Ex-Ray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ex-Ray polycounter lvl 12
    Very nice, did you have a gloss map for those marmoset renders? Perhaps rotate the skylight as you main and then add a new light source for the fill or rim just to pick up those small details.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    I guess it´s not the right forum, but maybe someone have some critics for this character-concept i´m working on. I´m not planning to model her, but it´s for my portfolio:

jhsonnwald_130914_merc_final.jpg
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Ähm yeah after 4 years back again, hope that 2017 will run better:

Piece i´m working on right now:
    model

part of this project:
    model
  • fhurtubise
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fhurtubise polycounter lvl 3
    I'm a fan! Love how creatively you blended shapes coming from two angles in that railgun. I think it'd look great as a standalone heavy weapon, too.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Thank you, the progress is currently on halt, while learning more about FWN and decals and how to use them best:

model
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    modelA model i made some time ago:
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Just for fun project:

model
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    WIP Fanart of Homeworld: Desert of Kharak

model
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    one more step until i will call it finished. Time for decals.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Decals are on board. For now i say it´s done (sketchfab link above, but previewimage is buggy atm):
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Hi my current project will be an sci-fi female suit. I´ll document it here a little bit more, because i never really built a character or human figure, so surely i will stumble on some points.
    First i built a lowpoly body on which i added more and more plating. The suit should be pretty tight to the body, so it shouldn´t be that much armor-looking like in my first rough blockout i made:

Now i reduced much of the leg and arm protection and only leave some knee and elbow protection which will be integrated into the suit-hull. The red object around the hips is an EVA extender, which is not constantly part of the suit. This is what i will do for toady and continue tomorrow. I have some specific imagine of some parts, but have to see how i´ll continue with this or how the workflow will be.
    I don´t know if to work with different material-sets for each surface to gain more crisp details (+decals) or bake in a traditional way 2-3 maps?!

Any critic for problems that could occur with the pose or the design are welcome!

edit: all the cloth layers in an overview:

• JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    starting to shape out the padding of the suits shoulders and upper arm:
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    some more arm work:
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    first layer of upper torso:

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    The Desert of Kharak ship looks awesome, I love it.
    How did you create the wear? Did you use a mask for that on the base mesh and blend tiling textures?

The space suite looks good too. First I thought the "bunny ears" don't fit, but read the name later.
    I would raise the backside of the eva extender a bit, backpack like.

Do decals work well on characters? Could imagine they cause issues when transforming.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Hi thank you, at the Assaultship it is pretty much only one big map for the hull + the decalmap. It is not optimized for an engine and i didn´t tried to built any shaders. I made only what i can use with sketchfab and as far as i know it doesn´t support another UV Channel.

I know the suit is a bit a type of clichee, don´t know if i will stay with the bunny theme. I have to see how the EVA extender developes. It should only be a "small" accessoires, operating on the center of mass and let the body still be flexible. Also it compensates the broad shoulder pads to look more female.

I´ll see if the decals work well, at least i try to place them on spots were not much distortion is happening. For bigger decals i will follow the underlying geometry.

Today i worked on the hip region. The "panties" won´t get the color of the chest. I created each material with a certain ability, like the yellow chest is more stiff and armory while the padded, shiny black material suggests a flexible protection. The bright grey material is more stretchy:

• JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    hip and upper legs:
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    not much time for today:
  • JHS
    Options