Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Unity] Tombs of the Ancients

polygon
Offline / Send Message
schneller polygon
Hey everyone! I've started my first big personal project in quite a while in hopes of giving the old 'folio a boost.

I'll be creating a small environment in Unity consisting of interior and outdoor spaces. It's actually the spiritual successor of my unfinished Showdown entry, Sci-Fi Giant's Causeway, that some of you may remember. Here is my old concept:
jMI1IHs.png

And first blockout:
gwAlkTV.png

I've decided to rethink the mood and general aesthetics, and have hopefully come up with something more mature:
4NuQHIe.jpg
Credit for those concepts goes to 1)Thomas Scholes and 2)Sparth.

Here are screeshots from my current blockout:
aLujUNs.jpg
vNREV9c.jpg
QyOkNGD.jpg
09NrwF0.jpg

All textures are just photos thrown on super basic (not even unwrapped) meshes, and some Unity standard assets thrown in. My main focus was to translate some quick sketches into 3d, get a feeling for how to mimic the atmosphere in my moodboard, and determine the size of the environment. I still need to blockout the structure's interior. It will more or less serve as a tomb or crypt.

I've worked with Unity for a couple years now, but haven't had a chance to explore the more advanced options like custom Beast settings, tessellation and deferred lighting. I plan to experiment with those, as well as try out Marmoset Skyshop shaders.

Ok, enough talking. As always, looking forward to comments and crits.

Replies

• Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Will.

Looks like you're on to something here! I really liked the forms you had going on your first entry - but indeed it looks like you're taking a more mature direction.

One thing I liked about your original entry was that there was a boldness of form that the new environment doesn't have. Take that however you want.

I see you have some forerunner concepts in your mood board. Are you going to replicate the rectilinear style of those?

Still very early on here. I'll bookmark your thread and keep tabs. Feel free to drop me emails as reminders of your updates.

-adm