Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Oh boy it's an AKS74U w/ Kobra Sight

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
PatJS polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, long time no post! I decided I needed to get back in the saddle as far as personal work goes and jump back into Polycount, so I made this guy.

Since I've been doing sensible current-gen models (chunky convex bits with a minimum of discrete moving parts) for some time now, I thought it would be fun to go beyond that and make this thing more fully functional than your average model. I love when games capture mechanical details, like Far Cry 2's engine repair or the way you can swap out the gun's mechanism in GRAW 2, so I figured I'd do the same with this model and make all of the little fiddly bits under the dust cover.

I used 4k maps for the rifle and 2k for the accessories (Kobra and PBS-1 silencer, which I haven't included here because it's kind of boring). I'm using Diffuse, Specular, Exponent and Normal maps. 9765 tris total. It's probably all a bit excessive, but let's pretend it's next gen and call it good.

Without further ado, here are the images:

Render%2001.jpg
Render%2002.jpg
Render%2003.jpg
Render%2004.jpg
Render%2005.jpg
Render%2006.jpg
Render%2007.jpg
RendersPieces.jpg

Sorry if the images are too big! I personally love it when people post massive images, so I figured I'd dish up some of my own. Let me know whatcha think!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    That looks really nice man :) good work!
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Interior shots are cool :)
  • CyberGameArts
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CyberGameArts polycounter lvl 7
    Oh boy it's an awesome looking AKS74U w/ Kobra Sight ! :D:D
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Niiiice. You sure can get some tiny details in with 4k. Also like that you did the internals too, quite like the colour of the magazine too.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Loving the material definition!
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Wow! Wood and grainy metal are niiiice!
  • Stormfreek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sexy man, well done :)
  • theSixtyEight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theSixtyEight polycounter lvl 7
    looks great! metal and mag material especially looks awesome!
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving the wood, really nice detail all over. Great work.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude! This looks awesome!
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    well bugger me, that's.... that's something else
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question. Did you use dDO?
    If so, can't tell, really well done. And if so, makes me want to learn it.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, thanks for the kind words!

Pedro: No, I didn't use dDO. 100% hand textured baby!
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Great work man. Definitely saving a few of these shots to my inspiration folder, shit's fantastic.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Sweet work :D

Any chance of you posting the texture sheets? Always fun to look/learn a bit from it.
    But no problem if you don't want to :)
  • Brygelsmack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great! You can really tell those are some high res maps. How long did you work on this?
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    The material definition is awesome! Great job!
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Brygelsmack: I'm not sure, this was split over many different sessions so I don't have a good estimate.

joeriv: Here dem sheets:

Weapon
    Maps.jpg

Accessories
    MapsAccessories.jpg

Ignore the top left of the accessories sheet, I never got finished the silencer since it was kind of boring.
  • Havoc89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havoc89 polycounter lvl 11
    Excellent work Patrick. Very solid material definition. Great job!
  • warxsnake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warxsnake polycounter lvl 8
    Its pretty! Great work
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Whoops, forgot to post high poly + wireframe!
    AKBakes.jpg
    KobraBakes.jpg
    Personal_AKS74U_Highpoly.jpg
    PersonalAKS74U_Highpoly2.jpg
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    SICK dude! love the material definition
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    very good materials! looks like you're ready to go a bit further.

1. the fire selector being a bright tone detracts greatly from the impact of the shiny silver bolt material. it's not a great material and makes the gun look flat and strange. consider making the fire selector a different material. really dark glossy black with a silver screw could be cool here.

2. your texture is mostly micro wear. your primary metal material is carried entirely by the micro edge scrapes and the huge blotchy gloss overlay. the blotchy is pretty accurate to a "clean" version of the real material, but in CG art it could be pushed a bit more.

in general you're lacking localized low frequency wear and specular map overlays, giving it a really flat look when the blotchy gloss map overlay isn't kicking in. i see you already have some localized low frequency wear, but it's not strong enough and could be added to the specular map for a nice boost in contrast. for the specular map overlays just grab some photos and get to work. you don't have to overdo it and make the gun super worn if you don't want to, but it needs some low frequency to break up the flat surfaces.

3. more color! you could get some awesome oily color variations going on the specular. check these out:
    184633_10150108587608950_17117533949_6284211_7244270_n.jpg

AK47-MFER.jpg

4. the sight and mount are getting lost into the main body as they're the same exact tone and material as the main metal. consider doing something to differentiate them from the main metal, as well as the sight from the mount. different wear type, tonal/material change, anything really.

5. mask off your little screws, rivets etc and make them much darker on the gloss so they attract more light. trust me, this is hugely worth it. do the same with your cavity map so the edges catch more light as well.

good work on the model btw, the internals are sure to impress on a portfolio. edge treatment is very consistent, maybe a bit tighter than i'd personally like but consistency is a huge deal and you got it.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the feedback! There's always something that needs improving.

1. I see what you mean, though I'm kind of partial to it myself. It's supposed to be a really rough unfinished aluminum or something really cheap. I wanted to give the appearance of a weapon that has had parts replaced over the years, hence the mismatched bolt carrier, safety, and upper handguard. There's no reason it couldn't be another color, however. Maybe even just a darker less shiny gray would work (or black, as you suggested).

2. You are totally right! I don't want a worn looking gun, but it definitely needs some low-frequency shifts so that it has surface variation when it's not directly catching the light.

3. Those are some sweet refs. This seems to be a recurring problem of mine, probably because I don't usually get colored spec at work :P

4. Good point. The sight+mount really needs a different color.

5. I actually did do the edge treatment, but that you didn't notice it means that I need to bump it up! Good idea with the screws.

The edges are fairly tight for a game asset, but I wanted to make it more realistic since I knew it would never go into a game (and that I'd do megarenders), and it would be a nice break from the really soft stuff I'm doing at work. If I were doing this for a game, I would definitely soften those bevels.
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    Quite accurately modeled and very detailed. I like it a lot and the materials are looking very good too. :)
    The internals are a very nice touch (personally, I’ve never bothered modeling more than the most visible parts) – definitely a thumbs up! :thumbup:

Some small details could be improved, though, for accuracy’s sake.

http://i408.photobucket.com/albums/pp161/avtomatkalishnikov_47/P1300016.jpg
    • The sidefolder button on the left side looks really tiny; it should have the same diameter as the button on the right side.
      http://www.neverenoughguns.com/Bulgy74SF/3.jpg
    • The compensator retention pin is not touching the part it’s supposed to hold into place.
    • The rivets on the receiver look as if they’re recessed into it - in fact they stick out quite a lot in reality. I guess you’ve done it this way in order to save on tris, but if it were a first person weapon, I’m not sure it would look right.
    • There should be a slight rectangular(-ish) depression on the receiver, right under the fire selector. http://armsofamerica.com/images/products/detail/AKM74REC.JPG

My other remarks are maybe more of a personal opinion / taste / “accuracy obsession” :) , that’s why I’m not including these in the above points, but personally, I wouldn’t have done the fire selector, bolt carrier and compensator a different color. I’ve never seen an AKS74U with a chromed bolt carrier; they’re always the same color as the receiver. And, although I’ve occasionally seen examples of the fire selector and/or compensator being a slightly different color than the rest, there’s never been such a noticeable difference.
    Also, technically, it's an AKS74UN, since it has a sight rail. :)

PS: Hadn't seen your last post, hence the remarks on the bolt carrier and stuff. It does make sense, then (although I still haven't ever seen a chromed bolt carrier on that weapon). :)
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man, the reference image I used for the markings totally looked like it had a 'Д'. I suppose I should have done more research. I guess the "Avtomat Kalishnikova" should have given me a clue that automatic would be "AV" rather than "DV" :I

The rivets are flat because I baked them down; I could have added some geo though. I've never seen a chromed bolt carrier on an AKS74U either, but I think it looks rad :) It's the same reason that the kobra sight doesn't match it's mount -- the scope is a version 2 kobra (has those back protrusions) and the mount is a first-version mount (since the new ones are a boring slab of metal).

Thanks for the feedback on the accuracy - I generally try to be as accurate as possible whenever I make anything, especially for something which gets made as often as an AK.
  • Stoy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stoy79 polycounter lvl 3
    …the kobra sight doesn't match it's mount -- the scope is a version 2 kobra (has those back protrusions) and the mount is a first-version mount (since the new ones are a boring slab of metal)
    Ah, I hadn’t paid much attention to the sight itself – I missed that. :poly103:
    As for the mount, you chose wisely – I modeled the new version, only because it somehow looked better on the AK74M (in my opinion). However, on the AKS74UN, the older mount looks much better. :)
    I've never seen a chromed bolt carrier on an AKS74U either, but I think it looks rad
    Yeah, I agree on that. It does look cooler.:)
    Actually, speaking about chromed bolt carriers, on TOZ’s website, there is an AKS74U with what looks like a chromed one (but no one I know seems to have any idea why…). Maybe they’re making these as spare parts, or something…
    http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/production/detail.php?ID=66&SECTION_ID=6
    Btw, not an important detail, but the serial number on the bolt carrier is always composed of only the last four digits – in this case 0094 (or a mismatching serial, if it’s from another weapon / spare part).
  • Lonewolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lonewolf polycounter lvl 18
    this is some really good looking weapon dude
    awesome work!
  • Adam_Jarvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam_Jarvis polycounter lvl 3
    Probably the longest I've ever sat and stared at someones work. Really awesome dude, great work. Material definition is spot on.
  • PatJS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PatJS polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys! I'm not sure if I'll have time to fix this guy up in the near future, but we'll see!