Home Technical Talk

Can someone help me understand topology better

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9
I feel like I understand the idea behind it like edge flow needs to follow the contour of the model, but I get so wrapped up in the methodology when I'm modeling that it bogs me down from going further. I've produced meshes that have pretty good topology, but then I produce things that aren't so good that make me second guess if I truly understand the process. For instance, here's a horse harness I'm modelling by way of retopology. Btw since I'm using retopology to build it it's been quite the challenge to get steady edge flow. Modeling then trying to bend it around the horse was a nightmare and just looked ugly. Not sure if this is the best practice for something that's far more complex then this model since you're locked to laying out planes. It seems a bit of a struggle would happen if you try doing anything other then extruding the plane out, which is what I'm doing. Any tips or examples where this method applies to something far more difficult would be awesome.

4mxl.jpg

It looks like I understand the idea, just doesn't look like I'm executing it too well. Then there's the sadddle and an ornament for the carousel. Forgot to mention I'm making a carousel. *As a side note, if anyone has a recommendation as to fix the stretching that the bend modifier produced on the outer rim of the saddle I'd be much obliged:cool:

bvhz.jpg

Now tell me if I'm wrong, but is the saddle even close to good topology? I know the shell is. I just wanted to post something that demonstrated I'm somewhat competent in the subject. As always thank you in advance :thumbup:

Replies

• Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Assuming this is a high poly, it doesn't matter what your topology looks like as long as it looks the way you intended it to look. There is a bit of foresight involved in high poly modeling in order to direct supporting edge loops and all that, but it looks fine.

The one thing I might suggest is to tie corner areas off diagonally rather than having a vertical and horizontal edge loop. The former method allows corners to be more rounded which may be more accurate for a saddle in this case.

edges.png
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Ok thanks for the hp suggestions. If I wasn't making this a hp and assuming I cleaned up that corner part would by topology still be fine? I'm overstressing on how great edge flow should be I think. I'm thinking as long as edges move along the structure of the shape you shiuld be fine. Its the interior edges I feel like I haveca more difficult time with.

When you're adding support loops for a hp there will be some cases where looping or ringing edges just won't be the best way to connect and you'll have to manually cut. Or would manually cutting in support loops be because of inconsistent topology? I know it doesn't matter what it looks like, but it would make things easier if it flowed smoothly. Probably just answered my own question.