Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Chinese mountain scene - Cryengine

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
benji polycounter lvl 7
Hey polycount, it's been a while :)

I'm currently studying at Futurepoly and it's a blast, I'm learning a tonne. For my main project, I've started an environment piece based on this awesome concept by Andr

Replies

• Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Paintover looks awesome to me. I'm looking forward to see more. =)
  • AlanSMitchell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlanSMitchell polycounter lvl 14
  • Higuy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool concept. Personally I think you might be able to get a bit more interesting composition if you had some buildings closer up to the camera over looking the canyons and waterfalls and far off buildings. Just a suggestion though, as the current concept also looks fairly nice.
  • Fenyce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    I adore that paintover!

But put some trees onto those mountains, whenever I think of chinese mountains I think of those which are overgrown with trees (just put "chinese mountain" into google picture search, and you'll see what I mean =D)
  • Fnitrox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fnitrox polycounter lvl 6
    I've been looking into Futurepoly courses myself and might actually try and take them in the near future. Relocating might be an issue so i may just wait for the online classes.

This is looking good an promising so far! How big is you Terrain? and what texture resolution did you export from WM? (i guess that's done in wm or you'd be insane to hand sculpt that detail xD)
    I'm finding it hard to get a good sense of scale from WM terrains at the moment : /

Also subscribing and waiting for updates!
  • benji
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    benji polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the comments!

Higuy; sure- I'll be playing around with the composition as I go along so it's not set in stone yet :)

Fenyce - thanks! You're right about the trees. Hopefully my planned terrain fixes will help with that but there's also set dressing to do, in time!

Fnitrox - Yes you should! I'd recommend Futurepoly wholeheartedly! You should try to relocate if you can; I moved country for it and I'm glad I did, online classes wouldn't be the same :)

I finished a tree! I'll produce a couple more eventually for populating the mid to background, but I'll use this one as a 'hero' prop with prominent foreground placement.

I think I'll try to fix the lighting and terrain this weekend as it's really bugging me!

tree_cryengineshots.jpg