Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realistic Couch Game Model Study

wdcstudios
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wdcstudios polycounter lvl 8
This is a furniture study I did to get the hang of Normal mapping high poly detail to a low poly model. The screen shots are from the unity game window using a surface shader I wrote. Any and all feedback is welcome.

reference / inspiration http://www.coasterfurniture.com/Item/-2044668416/500681

workflow
3ds max - modeling and color map baking.
Xnormal - normal map baking.
Handplane - object space normal map conversion
ndo - cavity and AO map creation.
dDo / photoshop - texture creation.

dDo Marmoset Preview
couch13.jpg

Unity Screen Shots
couch13_unity.jpg

dDo Texture Presentation
couch_texture_presentation_sm.jpg

Replies

• WadeWT
    Offline / Send Message
    WadeWT polycounter lvl 6
    The picture in your reference looks a bit lighter. This might be because of the lighting, though. There's also more colour variation in the leather. Look for the reds and yellows, especially on the side. Your UV layout also has a lot of unused space.

Looks great, though, nice materials. I like your presentation but you might want to get rid of the xyz axis in the top right of your unity previews. Looks a bit out of place.
  • wdcstudios
    Offline / Send Message
    wdcstudios polycounter lvl 8
    WadeWT - Thanks for the feedback, I spent so much time getting the wood and leather to match I didn't realize I had sucked the life out of the leather. I'll update the diffuse to fix that, I definitely be more mindful of the UV spacing on future projects not sure I could take going to redo the uvs again.
  • CharlieD
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlieD polycounter lvl 11
    Good start so far. The leather specular looks a tiny bit too light. Also, the gloss is making the highlights slightly too sharp for leather.