Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wip Ellie from The last of us

Replies

• MrNinjutsu
    Offline / Send Message
    MrNinjutsu greentooth
    Awesome, totally awesome tits.

Really enjoyed seeing all of this come together! More!
  • KnechtRuprecht
    Offline / Send Message
    KnechtRuprecht polycounter lvl 6
    Love it! Really outstanding work! I wish i could make such great chars haha
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    wester I knowwwww, the environment could really help some more polishing work i'm sure but I'm really not used to making that kind of stuff and I didn't felt like taking more time since it was not the subject of the final screenshot.
    popol popol? really? like the expression from belgium...? I guess so, you come from there! Anyway thank you, very appreciated!
    pancakesyou like it more than the first one? what's the first one hahaha? But im glad you like the second(?) one better I guess!!
    MrNinjutsu Yaaay! happy you like it and thanks for following the progress!
    knetchruprecht thanks again for the rifle, really helped me bring this to life woooo!! Glad you liked the result! I didn't though of adding your name on the render, would you like me to?
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    the final is really good Marie, you should be very proud!
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    This turned out really nice man! I really like the facial expressions. Especially the shot with her holding the gun. Congratz :)
  • Pancakes
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    this is a fanart right? um, the first would be the first lol
  • EmJaeR
    Offline / Send Message
    EmJaeR polycounter lvl 10
    Jaw officially dropped. Amazing work :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Lil late answer here
    Almighty_gir Thank you that means a lot to me !
    NyneDown Thank you very much! Yah I feel like the facial expression really help her feeling more real :)
    Pancakes yah this is a fan art, still I don't know what the first fan art would be haha!
    EmJaeR Awww, thanks!
  • KristaW
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Somehow I missed your final renders! The posing turned out great. This was such a great thread. I learned a lot form watching you :)
  • 3py0n
    Offline / Send Message
    3py0n polycounter lvl 10
    that's fantastic stuff...how did you ace the folds?!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    KristaWThank you! I'm very happy if following the thread can be helpfull to you, I learned so much from following other character artist's thread myself!!
    3py0nI really wished there was a magic trick but I got a lot of trouble with them myself, I did and redid them a million time until I was satisfied. If you look a little bit earlier in the thread I think I submitted a tutorial video and if I remember correctly it talk a little bit about the technique I used. hope it can help!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Last ''update'' over here, for reel this time.
    Final turntable.
    Time to move on to something else now!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEttWrIpcT8&feature=c4-overview&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Ellie Turntable final - YouTube[/ame]
  • barnesy
    Offline / Send Message
    barnesy polycounter lvl 9
    The final result is fantastic!

The progress you have made throughout this thread is really inspiring and you have improved so much!
  • Lavitz
    Offline / Send Message
    Lavitz polycounter lvl 12
    Such an amazing piece!

Going back through your progress and seeing all of the tweaks and feedback is very inspirational. Thanks so much for sharing everything :D
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    My apologies for reviving this, oh so old thread of mine.
    Some of you guys might know how crazy and obsessed I was (and still am) with The Last of us.
    With the release of the Remastered version and the 30th anniversary of Naughty dog I decided to revisit this piece of mine for just a little while.
    I didn't actually went back and rework on the model much, I did improve the eye Shader wich wasn't quite ready yet since Marmoset 2 was still in Beta when I release the screenshot. I just wanted to pose her with a guitar, just like in the Epilogue that was shown on the One night Live (wich we couldn't see on the stream :().
    This was also inspired by the beautifull fan art of Marek Okon

The design was also submitted to the Naughty dog 30th anniversary T-shirt contest, the voting will start in a couple of day if anyone wants to help me out :)

Cheers and sorry again for reviving this old thread hehe

kpzZr1u.jpg
    QHnEed1.jpg
    HZ4frVl.jpg
  • erroldynamic
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm currently obsessed with this game, been playing it every chance I get. Great job on her likeness and very solid piece overall. Love the black and white image!
  • Jandokenpon
    Some quick things on the guitar: There's actually a thick piece of wood under the body of the guitar and also several small wood planks on the bottom. The guitar neck is also really wide for an acoustic, the neck gets skinnier and skinnier towards the top. I also recommend adding a circle design around the hole of the guitar, you don't see many acoustics without it. Here's a picture of the inside of my guitar to help:
    eom0ZgK.jpg
  • TrampledUnderFoot
    Offline / Send Message
    TrampledUnderFoot polycounter lvl 7
    overall awesome piece!

Regarding the guitar (besides what Jandokenpon said) the way she is fretting the C chord is pretty terrible. You want the fingers to be as close to the fret as possible.

basically like this: Screen%20shot%202011-02-28%20at%204.04.58%20PM.jpg
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Yes, awesome, and shared by the creator of the game himself no less. Congrats on the piece as a whole.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Whooop! :) aweosme Update Marie, the new pose with the guitar is so much better the the previus one. I dont think anyone minds that you updated lol =P
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    great pose ! i just think the environment is kinda bringing it down, the wall is too shiny as well as the bricks, seems like you forgot to add environment wear to the scene, the same to the rubber tires , they look really weird, like the rubber ribbing was glued ontop of a rubber cilinder instead of beeing one mold like rubber tires.

Its a great character, but the enviro is kinda letting it down :(
  • Borod
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Rion411 Thank you! I'm definitly completly obsessed with the game myself for some reasons!

Jandokenpon You are totally right, I did had a circle design ready, for some reason I just forgot to apply the right shader/texture to it, I didn't even notice!
    The guitar was rushed quite a bit, was trying to finish the project this weekend for the T-shirt contest since I wouldn't be able to work on it during the week and would miss the contest :/. But yah, great critics, thanks!

TrampledUnderFoot Damn, you are right!
    Actually I don't know anything about guitar, My Bf helped me with that part. I actually posed her finger like this at first, but I had trouble with my rig and so I had a big space between the fingers, I mannually moved them to reduce the weird space between them and.... I fucked up . But I guess it can make sens, Joel is suppose to teach Ellie to play guitar, so she's pretty bad at it still!

TeriyakiStyle Haha might be nerdy but attention to details is important, I should have paid attention to it a bit more :), Thanks!

ysalex Thank you! Yes, I was so stocked when Neil Druckmann retweeted it (I'm a crazy fan girl... haha!)

lotet Thank you! Glad you liked the new pose! I always like this one : http://www.mariempepin.com/communities/7/004/010/778/797//images/4602211970_830x634.jpg myself, But I was always disapointed with the riffle one. I'm happy about this one cause I feel there is like a little story behind it.

Joao Sapiro Thanks for the crits!
    Of course the enviro isn't my greatest work, it was a bit of a challenge for myself. I haven't made any enviro work for almost 3 years now. It was suppose just to add a bit more context to the character, not to be really looked at in it's details cause it's obviously not perfect. Anyway thanks for the crits, I'll try to improve in my diorama presentation if I ever decide to make one of those again!

Borod Haha! Thanks!
  • FourtyNights
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I've watched your workflow and breakdown videos of your Ellie and never came here to congratulate your great hard work, so gongratulations for such a great piece of art, Marie. (;

I'm definitely going to do a fan art version of Joel now, just because I'm also a huge fan of TLoU and I'm excited to play the remastered version on my friend's PS4. ^^
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey fourtyNights!
    Really glad you enjoyed the video! Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comments, it's always appreciated :)
    I would be super interested to see your take on Joel! Please post it on polycount so I can see it once you start it! I'm super excited about the Ps4 version myself.
    I started playing it the night of the release. I actually didn't control it on the first play through because I get REALLY scared when I play game (yah...!).
    This time I am trying to play the whole game myself, will see if I can man up a bit :P
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    That game is unbelievable...just fantastic. You gotta experience the thrill and drama first hand!
  • deohboeh
    Offline / Send Message
    deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing work! I like this version a lot! Keep it up! :)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Please don't be upset for this shameless post :)

If you didn't know aldready, I submitted 2 adapted version of my Remastered fan art for the naughty dog 30th anniversary T-shirt contest.
    This contest means a lot of me because Naughty dog and their game (especially The last of us) is really the essence of why I really love and want to make games.
    So if you want to spend two little min and vote for me, I would really appreciate it :)

I'm sorry, I realise this is totally self promotion or something, and I hope nobody get's upset a me for doing it
    Here's the link to the contest
    http://contest.welovefine.com/contest/77-naughty-dog-s-30th-anniversary-design-contest#.U-5zqPldV8F

Here's my two designs

HwCB11Q.jpg
    UG2uSrJ.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Awesome work here man!
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Awesome work, Marie! Good luck on the contest. Voted through the site.
  • theStoff
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    There's nothing wrong with promoting your work. I really like your image with the set included. The other one is nice but I think it's a little awkward with the character just floating. For some reason it just doesn't seem like it's part of the shirt. Either way nice work (and I definitely agree about the inspiration from naughty dog)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks for helping me out guys!!
    Really appreciated,
    Thanks for your input Kosh, I'm totally not a t-shirt designer, I agree I could have done better with a little bit more time/research

There is 2 days left to vote, I'm in second position,
    If you have a minute and want to help me out, I would really appreciated it,
    I would love to meet the people that made my favorite game ever!

You need to subscribe to the website but there is no email verification or anything so it really only takes a minute,
    Thanks again <3
    Here's the link

http://contest.welovefine.com/contest/77-naughty-dog-s-30th-anniversary-design-contest#.VAyxpfldV8H
  • Cloudfactor
    Offline / Send Message
    Cloudfactor polycounter lvl 2
    Try pointing the eyes about 5 degrees outward (obtuse) instead of staring straight. Seems contradictory, but is often necessary in CG art to avoid the uncanny calley affect (my opinion, of course). This should help alleviate the blank stare issue. Also, it seems to me the eyeballs are a smidge too far forward. Move them back ever so slightly, adjust he angle, and I think people will not longer be mentioning the eyes. Only other crit is that, in the render, the shirts are too shiny for the material. It looks cool when rendered, but it's technically incorrect. Don't get me wrong, this is absolutely fantastic work. People are nitpicking because that is all that's all that's left to correct. You're obviously already working professionally. It must be nice to take some time on a task without being limited by time constraints. Cheers.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @Cloudfactor You sir are a tiny bit late (by like 3 years) for the critic on this but thanks for your input nonetheless!