Homeā€ŗ 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wip Ellie from The last of us

Replies

• MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    yes it is looking a lot better.
    the area right above the corner of the lips could also use little push out. looks like there is a dent there that shouldn't be there.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Sorry for the image heavy post
    Calling my model done,
    I know it's still not perfect but I always stop when I'm in overall please with my model so I don't get too bored and keep on learning etc.
    Can't wait to start the low resolution and the texturing phase.
    Hope you guys like it!
    qw4KTOA.jpg
    9ll6Gou.jpg
    iWVgXu2.jpg
    RcP87mK.jpg

Haha D2XsEmz.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Turntable !
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rO69kigbue0&feature=share&list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q"]Ellie from The last of us Fan art, zbrush sculpt turntable - YouTube[/ame]
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    haha that graph is spot on!

nice updates, although the hands and feet still look too small. did you scale them up or keep the same as before ? also the knuckles on the fingers look too strong.
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks great Tits! The face in particular immediately screams Ellie from the last of us.

My one point of critique, that I've also seen you do in your most recent project before this, you tend to sculpt your cloth as though it's very thick material. The t-shirt she's wearing is a good example, the thickness and density of the folds on there would suggest to me that it's made of a more fleecy material than one would expect; more like a hoodie.

Again, referencing a lot of the ten24 scans, the lighter materials always have much sharper folds as the cloth itself weighs less.

Full%20Body%20Scan%2010.jpg

Full-Body-scan-Zbrush2.jpg

One other point that may be of use, in a lot of the sclupts for the last of us they really incorporated a lot of minute surface detail, such as micro folds, evidence of folding and such. Things that would show up on finer cloth basically.

I'm not suggesting that you go back and incorporate those points for this project, in fact I'd suggest against it as it's looking really nice as is, but it might be something to consider for your next character.

I'm interested to see this thing textured!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    MM wrote: Ā»
    haha that graph is spot on!

nice updates, although the hands and feet still look too small. did you scale them up or keep the same as before ? also the knuckles on the fingers look too strong.
    Weird, I did scale both the feet and hands quite a bit!
    I'm sad its still look too small. I will try to adjust it when doing the game resolution mesh!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    mazz423 wrote: Ā»

I'm not suggesting that you go back and incorporate those points for this project, in fact I'd suggest against it as it's looking really nice as is, but it might be something to consider for your next character.

I'm interested to see this thing textured!
    I'll make sure to pay special attention to this detail on my next character.
    Thamks a lot for the input!
    I can't wait to start texturing her hehe
  • TheQuietPotato
    Fantastic work. Loved TLOU so really glad someone took on this challenge.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Fantastic work. Loved TLOU so really glad someone took on this challenge.
    Haha thanks dude, somebody had to do it :) ( I think!)
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    looking great. The thing that needs now at least for the clothes it's a good wear and tear pass. ND did an awesome job with that. Their sculpts looked like scans sometimes, crazy amount of detail.
  • Electro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Electro polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good! I like the progress :)
    Keeping an eye on this

I especially like the graph. HEHE
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks for your comments guys.
    @David Yah I saw what ND did with the wear and tear pass, pretty awesome eh. For now I'm just gonna leave her like that, if I do anything similar again I will try to get that kind of result :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Just a little render i've been working on this week for fun.
    Hope you guys like it.
    I still have a lot of trouble posing my characters :(
    iSVx0XA.jpg
    Big big thanks to Jo
  • Sir Apple
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Looking awesome - great work so far.

In my opinion, As far as the pose is concerned, I think you need more lean and 'feeling' put into it. This way she would look more fearful/attentive to the situation. Perhaps if you create a harsher arch and lean, and put more movement in her head and neck etc.

I hope you don't mind a paintover? :)

QpFDltN.jpg
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
    The diorama really brings it together :)
    I agree with Sir Apple, but I will also add that it might heighten the drama of the pose if you crouched her slightly. Solid work all around. Eager to see the low poly.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Looks awesome, just a unnecessary idea but it would be cool to see a few plants crawling about the bricks or even breaking through the ground... anyways cool stuff!
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Looks really cool! I little more vegetation would look good and help it feel more Last Of Us imo, but that could be more of a job for the texturing stage. Either ways, great work!
  • Bravo81
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bravo81 polycounter lvl 3
    Hi Tits!

Would you be interested in helping us out with The Contract? A game being developed on the Source Engine. Would be a matter or royalties/compensation upon release.

www.thecontractgame.co.uk
    www.moddb.com/games/the-contract

contact@thecontractgame.co.uk
    We currently have 23 Devs, but our character modeller left due to issues in Egypt; his home country.

Kind Regards,
    Dean.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you still going to make a low-poly model for it?? Or this diorama is just for fun?

Anyway, it looks great ^^

Bravo81 // Maybe not the appropriate place for this? Maybe contact her directly? ;)
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KristaW polycounter lvl 9
    Congrats on this piece showing up in the recap! Well deserved, it's been great following this thread.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, thanks to you all for the looooooveeeeee <3
    I agree I could add some vegetation to it, didn't actually realize that I could actually make a low resolution version to showcase my low resolution model but that's really not a bad idea, might do it for sure!
    By the way I didn't know it was called a diorama, good to know.
    And yah I am still making a low resolution version, this was just a little fun challenge I give myself. I actually started the diorama tuesday evening wanted it to be finished on thursday, only working on it after work.

@Bravo81 I am currently working in an activision studio and I am not allowed to take any game-related freelance contract at the moment ;)
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    Tits wrote: Ā»
    Hey guys, thanks to you all for the looooooveeeeee <3
    I agree I could add some vegetation to it, didn't actually realize that I could actually make a low resolution version to showcase my low resolution model but that's really not a bad idea, might do it for sure!
    By the way I didn't know it was called a diorama, good to know.
    And yah I am still making a low resolution version, this was just a little fun challenge I give myself. I actually started the diorama tuesday evening wanted it to be finished on thursday, only working on it after work.

@Bravo81 I am currently working in an activision studio and I am not allowed to take any game-related freelance contract at the moment ;)

Excellent good to hear Marie-Michelle! So glad that you're taking her all the way to a completed game resolution state!

Don't you hate when the company you work for stops you from taking on freelance!? Probably one of my biggest frustrations ha.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @ Well to be honest I don't really get much request for freelance so it doesn't bother me too much and I am still allowed to do non-game related contract wich I did a couple times. No matter what In general I don't have much time to do contract work if the schedule is kind of tight. and thankd i'm glad you like it, I'm still very excited about the game rez
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Just a lil keyshot render
    I really tried to improve the posing from the last shot but seriously I really don't understand / work well with transpose master. Redid it like 3 times and it was just getting worst every time haha...
    I will try and do waaaay better with the low resolution mesh once its done.
    ZCEQnhw.jpg
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    really nice render, i agree though about the addition of some foliage to break up the dead background.

as for the pose, i think the main problem is you have both knees bending and to me it feel like it would be slightly difficult to support her weight even after leaning on the wall. it would be uncomfortable to retain that posture for too long. it is always a good idea to try out the pose yourself and see what feels the most natural.

anyways, here is a quick paint over to make her right leg straight and i think it looks more natureal now.

0Y0nAUD.gif
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Ahh really nice! Can't wait until it's textured ^^ If you're planning for that? either way, looking good :)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    MM your totally right, it does look way better with the leg the way you put it. I'm not gonna go back to transpose master because I think it's gonna make me go nut. Tho once i'm done with the low rez and get a decent rig i'll make sure to do my best to give her a kick ass pause. For the foliage I agree too, If I decide to transfer the diorama into a low rez version i'll add some!
    chrisradsby Yup keep updated it's going to be a game resolution character soon enough

By the way guys, Keep updated on the thread because I didn't share the information before but I actually have a little project with my boyfriend and it's slowly starting to take place. So my boyfriend is actually (with my help) building a little ''The last of us'' environment. If everything goes fine we should at the end get an environment inside of cryengine with ellie inside etc.
    Of course it's taking some time because not everyone is as crazy as me and doing 3d everyday but I keep you updated once its worth showing it

aaaaand diorama turntable, of course
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDJkyVy6vrM&amp;feature=c4-overview&amp;list=UUKlNB0dpR1BK0y-JRh6Ju7Q&quot;]Ellie, The last of us fan art diorama - YouTube[/ame]
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Starting up with the topology, I think I'm wayyyy too high rez at the moment (what do you guys think?)
    I can't wait to start baking and texturing !
    xaG9NVm.jpg
  • Sculptaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work Tits!

I don't think that its too high res currently, especially compared to the game model in Judd Simantov's rigging video
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Yah I've seen the ellie polycount and mesh (mostly for the face tho) in a rigging video. I know I'm really not that high but I really feel like I'm going over the top especially compared to my usual polycount haha!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    looking good, i dont think it is too high compared to TLOU characters.

although here is few optimizations i can suggest. you can collapse couple rings around the belly and bicep since those places only get very broad deformation and such dense looping is not needed. also you can delete few loops around the neck because it would not affect silhouette and deformation that much.

but adjust the loops around the shoulder. you wanna keep proper loops in there since that is heavy deformation area.

zGo6XnL.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks for your suggestions MM!
    Yah I didn't do any optimisation yet, I will probably go around the model and collapse quite a few ring. I agree with the shoulder, I definitly could help those loop there.
    Thanks!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Soon :)
    can't wait to bake!
    BCtaJb9.jpg
  • StrongRum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrongRum polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good! Have fun baking :-)
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    So Alice, gonna be a nice bake, what's the polycount you ended with?
  • fatihG_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fatihG_ polycounter lvl 14
    lol.. So Alice..

Anyway this is looking pretty sweet Tits. =]
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    I can't wait for you to skin and rig her, it's going to be amazing!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys, thankds for the comment
    @ysalex, haha yeah ''alice'' I think that one will stick for a bit
    it's currently 18 k triangles but it might change because I the polycount in the hair might change I lot once I got an alpha and actually make it work etc.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Did you hit 20K because you were aiming, or is that just where you landed? I haven't seen (and haven't looked) for technical specs for TLOU characters, but from wireframes I'm guessing they are quite a bit higher than 20K, maybe into 30-40 range? If you don't need it you don't need it, I was just wondering why 20K.

What texture size is she going to be?
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @Ysalex I know the actual ellie model is around 29k triangles from what i've seen in a video. I sure could have went higher than what I did but I'm just so used to work around 9-12k triangles that I aldready felt like I was going completly nuts on the polycount haha, But I know it's not I'm just not used to it yet! Around 20k I was feeling comfortable about it being my highest character and not going too much over the top.
    Texture size i'm trying to go way higher than my usual texture and follow a bit what they actually did in the game.
    I have few textures maps the size are not final yet I will see how it will go and adjust accordingly.
    So far here are my different maps : Head, UpperBody, Lowerbody, bagback, hand+teeth+tongue, hair, eye
    Haha this sound like so many at the moment but this is quite similar to what you can see in The last of us or other game like tomb raider, uncharted etc...
    At the moment since I add some missing props, the inside of the mouth, teeth etc I'm at 20 20.6k triangles, This might actually go I still don't have the eyelashes and the hair polycount might change quite a lot once I make the alpha

So here's a little preview of the bake, pretty crappy render haha, No touch up to normal bake yet, just straight from the oven
    gwvw5qk.jpg
    By the way, Eyes and mouth might Look different at the moment, The eye are half close and the mouth a little bit opened, request from the guy who will rig and skin her. I'll probably do a morpher in the mean time to make her look a little bit more alive...
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice! Curious how you're going to approach the hair. Are you going to unwrap one strand and transfer the uv's to the rest?
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Haha I'm not too sure yet, I'll tell ya when I figure it out myself

Better screenshot :
    4r3JPTQ.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Been fixing my occlusion and normal map, mostly done now except some fine tweaks
    Crappy screengrab from max viewport
    starting the texturing tomorow :) can't wait to bring her inside of cryengine!
    3uEDV6L.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Nice bake, and I know it's a rigging thing but her expression makes her look like a drug addict.
  • KristaW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha. She does kind of have a hint of Michelle Pfeiffer chasing-the-dragon expression right now.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Sorry, but hands still look too small. Just imagine her putting them to her face and you can see. If she was ever animated to do something like that it would look very off.

I guess you can just enlarge them on the low poly now though right?
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey!
    Hahaha obviously the face is very bugging you guys :P I'm gonna try and make her a morpher to being her back with her opened eye and close mouth :)
    I will double check the hand I did enlarge them quite a lot in the original sculpt but now that it's bake I will verify the size
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    even though she is not suppose to have adult body proportions the hands still look smaller than normal.

a good way to see general hand proportion is to compare it to the face.
    just place your own hand flat on your face, bottom of palm to the chin and you should see that tip of your fingers cross well over the eyebrows.

my suggestion in green:
    DaSyvfj.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hey guys!
    About the hands first, I actually checked the size by putting the hand itself facing her head and it actually kind of fit aldready, her finger arrive straight at the eyebrows. I don't know if I have small hands myself but If i put the start of my palm on my chin the tip of my finger is touching my eyebrows (happy nobody is here to see me do this haha).
    Here's a very weird screenshot for you, If you still think its too small I might size them a bit :)
    4Rbg0xL.jpg
    Other than that i've been working on the texture, Finally!
    It took me some time to get myself started because I wanted to do a couple of little small bake of fabric-texture, the collar lines thingy, a light map kind of occlusion (don't know how you call this) etc.
    Since you guys didn't like the very high version of Ellie I did a little morpher tonight to bring her back to normal, Hope you like this version better hehe.
    Anyway here's the preview
    8s5PUHl.jpg
  • jksl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jksl polycounter lvl 4
    THIS IS GONNA BE EPIC!!