Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Henry Cavil head bust sculpt advice needed

HomeGrownHeroz
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
HomeGrownHeroz polycounter lvl 6
This is my first attempt at sculpting likeness and I'm having some trouble with it. In particular from what I can see so far is that the nose doesn't look right and I'm finding it hard to judge how deep the eyes should be into the head. Cavil's face doesn't seem to have much symmetry I'm finding so I'm wondering if whether it would be better to try and sculpt individual areas rather than letting them mirror over?

Below is my ref and screenshots. If anyone can offer any advice on how to improve this I'd be very grateful.

Cc7YiwL.jpg

a69m6qY.jpg

a69m6qY.jpg

lDH16Ox.jpg

Replies

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
    Hello there, I like what you are doing. I can see from a "Fresh Eye" perspective that the nose is a little to wide that is the nostrels are to flared. The second point that immediately caught my attention is that the jaw is to far forward, by quite a long way. Try and find a side perspective shot.

Keep up the good work
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Many thanks for the feedback from you both. I have been using the reference to overlay inside zbrush but even with that it still proved off. Will take what you said into consideration and make the changes. Thanks again :)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Damn, DKK just gave you some very solid advice! There really isn't much else to be said honestly.

The only thing I would like to add which helps me a lot is to get tons of references from every angle you can. Look at your reference and try to keep perspective in mind from the camera that took the shot and your actual 3d perspective. Then move your model to similar angles as the reference and try to match up the silhouette as much as possible.

The easiest example would be check him at 3 quarters view with a reference that is at the same angle. There are a few major landmarks there that many people get wrong at first.

Anyway good luck, likeness are extremely difficult. Take your time and be patient, if you are new to this it could take weeks still it starts to really match up.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Print Screen your sculpt, then overlay it on top of the photo.
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks all for the further crits. I do really appreciate it. I pretty much ended up reworking the whole head back down to its lowest subd and then started again. After a break I realised just how bad it did look! I also took a a screenshot and overlayyed it with the ref image as suggested by JacqueChoi which helped me get the head into better proportion. Also @dustinbrown I have got a folder of ref images but just uploaded that one to show the front of the face with I was primarily focusing on. I do however completely agree with your suggestions on Asaro head, skull and facial studies and will certainly attempt these.

Here are my updates that I have been working on today.

Yk6t2Yn.jpg

taFr1HZ.jpg
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Edit: haha I didn't see your post above. Anyways, I still think taking some time to learn the underlying anatomy would be beneficial.
    I would suggesting sculpting a couple Asaro heads, then sculpting a human skull, then doing some facial anatomy studies. Then you'll be much better prepared to tackle a likeness study. No offense intended, we've all been through it.

I second this. In addition, you should take a look at Scott Spencers "Zbrush Digital Sculpting: Human Anatomy" book. It's a great way to learn about some of the underlying muscles in the face.

I did a quick drawover of your face as well.

VNzYrVF.png
  • HomeGrownHeroz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @beefaroni Cheers man, I'll have to take a look at that book. Thanks for recommending!
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Best free head sculpting video ever!!!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4VyMLV7jGM"]Eat3D Mudbox Head Sculpting Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr9sS48lVrE"]Eat3D Mudbox Head Sculpting Part 2 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]