Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] Mental Institution

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
davidosterlind polycounter lvl 5
I have seen so much great stuff done in Cryengine lately, wanted to give it a try. So this being my first sandbox project I'm learning a lot but I really enjoy it so far. I´m going to post my progress here, hopefully you guys can give me some critique along the way.

I am heavily inspired by this great photo by photographer Christopher Payne. He apparently released a book; Asylum, filled with pictures of abandoned american hospitals. Great stuff.

o802.jpg

This is where I'm at. Made a few wall-pieces, floor and ceiling with some basic textures. I have also started working on the lighting. Working on a wheelchair atm.

xu0y.jpg

lyy0.jpg

^^Wheelchair in marmoset.

Replies

• ZeroBigSis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZeroBigSis polycounter lvl 10
    Pretty solid so far and that wheelchair model is niiiice. Only crit I have is the ceiling height - seems a little too low compared to the photo
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Once I read the title, I was sold.

And looking good so far! My only suggestion would be to watch the scale. If you look at the chair in the photo in relation to the door, windows, and ceiling height I'd say the room is around 14-16 feet tall(two "doorways" tall). The wheel chair in your picture makes the room feel quite a bit smaller than the photo. Supper easy to fix, i'd just hate to see the scene built around the wheel chairs scale and end up feeling cramped and "miniature".

Will be following this :)

Edit: DAMN! Beat to the punch :poly124:
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
    Your stuff seems to be looking good so far however you should wath your proportions. They seem to be way off. I'll keep my eye on this one. Good luck!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    This is looking very promising! Really nice work so far man :)
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the lighting is a bit off. In the reference, the strongest light source - as indicated by the shadows - is from the windows to the left. The first and third rooms have a weak light source (from a window on the other side?), while the light from the second room is mostly blocked by a partially closed door.

Assuming the distances are correct, I think some of the differences between the concept and your scene is caused by a different camera FOV.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for great feedback!
    Totally agree on issues with proportions and scale, the wheelchair was way to big. Just threw it in there, didn´t really have a decent prop to measure with until now, which was a mistake. I Eye-measured all the wall pieces from the photograph and it does feel a bit off at places. I'm not too concerned thou as long as it looks believable.

@chrisradsby
    Thanks! Means a lot coming from you Chris!

@DWalker
    Good pointers about the lighting, will look into that. As for the FOV you're totally right. Cryengine defaults at something like 80 FOV. To replicate the picture I have to get down to something like 20, which feels totally weird when playing in first person. In the image below its 50, in the previous post its 60.

I threw some grunts in there and made a huge rainbow ruler(its in Meters) to see how everything stands in relation.

jnfw.jpg
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Much better ! Looking foward to this progressing.
  • davidosterlind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have made a ceiling lamp and some pipes. Started to dirty-up the textures a bit more, mostly with the use of decals, nothing final there though.
    This corridor sure sure is a challenge to light, I have tweaked it for so long, still not happy. Although the main light comes from the windows there are light coming from all over the place and they are all casting these really soft shadows. Is there a way to light-link a light so that it does not cast light on a specific wall piece for example?

pw80.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    Very nice work, man! I'd be interested in seeing your lighting set up. It seems we're doing 2 very similar scenes!
  • kimchee519
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking promising, cant wait to see more!