Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG REMIX - Ratchet and Clank 3

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
SaferDan polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, so this looks cool! And I thought Ratchet and Clank would suit this nicely!

So here is my blockout, they have just landed on a planet and there is a welcome party waiting for them! The main enemy is the Tyhrranoids who have mechs and drop ships all waiting to meet them!

block_zps1d8f98df.png

and I have started a turret just for a test and to see how limting a 64x64 texture is!

[SKETCHFAB]7d79dbdeed9a407d89b68721ae40684c[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    Hey! I love Ratchet and Clank and that turret is looking pretty snazzy. Can't wait to see more.
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Hey dude, its Tom W from Linkedin :)

Glad to see you jumping on board. I love ratchet and clank. Your diorama idea's looking awesome already. Be cool to see some low poly work from you. I've only seen your high detail and hard surface work so far.

Challenging times for us all ahead...

Good luck man! Subbed.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    HAH! Fun style. Looking good so far. Remember to have a focal point visible. Something that tells the player/viewer where you'll end up going. Also bolts and hoses everywhere.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Specsowl!

Hey Tom! yeah I havent done loads of low poly stuff! Especially not this low! Should be fun!

Thanks Jeff! With the focal point do you mean I need to have one of the paths leading somewhere? Or exaggerate my focal point atm, which should be the ship! Also yeah more boats! and crates!

Wip of the vendor thats at the start of the levels, that cone is meant to be a light but it looks a bit rubbish!Also progress is slow </3

172 tris with a 64x64 texture

vendor_zps8fd2db08.png
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for the spam but I have made a new blockout! The old one was a bit boring, this is a bit more dynamic, I think it has a nice flow as well!

[SKETCHFAB]69019a42d2df47219a68ab45f22534a7[/SKETCHFAB]
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Omg rockets flying directly towards ratchet is so right xD
    Loving the new blockout
    The crates falling are a fantastic touch
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin - Ha thats what I thought!

Little Update modelled the drop ships and Ratchets ship!

Dropship is 510 tris and Ratchets is 453! Also made a fence panel which came to 264 tris. Think I need to look over all my models, tri counts seem a bit high.

[SKETCHFAB]d9ba600f15f242e5bcb343cf23abf10b[/SKETCHFAB]
  • minorthreat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    minorthreat polycounter lvl 7
    I really like how you're doing the smoke trails, it really conveys movement.
  • Tyche Laughs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The falling crates and broken railing are just making me disproportionately happy for their existence; they really, really sell the idea.
  • SaferDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaha thanks guys, I really wanted to make the doirama feel alive even though its static,seems like I am on the right track!

A bit more done on Ratchets ship, managed to lower the tri count to 307 without really losing the shape which is awesome! Texture is a 128! Hoping to have a lot more free time soon!

[SKETCHFAB]e2c9b05096cc4cbd8d29d228994c39dd[/SKETCHFAB]
  • CharlesL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CharlesL polycounter lvl 4
    Nice job! I really like style, and the textures are looking pretty awesome! Did you paint the textures on by hand or did you bake the AO?