Home Contests & Challenges Archives

VG Remix - Cannon Fodder

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
lukepham101 polycounter lvl 7
I'm changing from my original idea from Far Cry 3 to Cannon Fodder. After seeing so much nostalgia build up from looking at other threads I was like, screw it I wanna do that now! Cannon Fodder was the bomb when I was playing it as a kid, so here's to trying to do it justice hopefully and not embarrass myself. :)

cannon-fodder-7.jpg

1-3960_1.png

xbla4-20081106-165653.jpg

Replies

• a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    i completely forgot about Cannon Fodder! great! can't wait to play with the model!
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey folks, back with some progress over the Saturday with what I've got roughly made it, I've made a mini version of the diorama I'm gonna make so far. I think I'm going to expand this version once I get more models done and make it seem a little more grand in scale, all textures at 64x64, with everything being roughly around 100 triangles. I gotta say, when it's such a small texture size it makes it easier to hand paint. :) I've uploaded the model to SketchFab too and I like the filtering in there, but my lighting in there sucks a big one at the moment so I'll figure that out later. Anyways, this is not nearly finished yet, still gotta work on a couple of stuff like the soldiers and more props and such! :)

0DN5JPE.jpg

[SKETCHFAB]9d839648f60b47eba2c0aaf19ff74458[/SKETCHFAB]
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    looks great! Will there be characters in there too? It would look awesome with those little fodder dudes in there ^_^
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a3sthesia! Yeah mang, gonna add those soldiers and enemy soldiers in there soon but stupidly enough I have more difficulty modelling low poly characters than environments lol. Gotta get my head around proper topology because I haven't modelled a character in ages! Anyways, I'll get it eventually. :)
  • L3XICON
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aah cannon fodder, one of the best games made :) great choice!

Looking really smart so far it certainly has the right vibe from the original game.
    only suggestion is to possibly have another one or two tree models to use to add some variation to the jungle
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks L3XICON :) I played the shit out of it when I was a kid so for me it was one of the more memorable games back in the day haha. I was just thinking the same thing about the trees too after looking at it again, thanks for the crit! I was thinking of putting a river in there and changing up the scenery a little as well, hopefully I'll have more to update soon.
  • Alismuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alismuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Great job on this! The textures are real good man :)
  • lukepham101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Alismuffin! Considering how shitty I am at hand painting textures, at least someone thinks it's alright haha. Now for another whole load of something that's really outside of my comfort zone. I've been modelling the low poly soldier and his weapon, I've got it down and I've unwrapped it and everything, just getting to the texturing phase now. Man hand painting is hard, at least for me! There's all these issues with topology too that I'm sure will cause me grief somehow later in terms of the rigging, but hopefully it won't make me cry too much. Anyways, please feel free to criticize the shit out of it with whatever complaints you have, it's fine I'm on the fence with whether it looks like shit or not haha.

*EDIT: I see craploads of problems with topology and wasteful loops, I'll fix it up in the next update! Too tired and need sleep!

1PfdDr5.jpg