Home General Discussion

Working towards that perfect job

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
I left University a year ago and since then I have been working on new work for my portfolio as well working a job that has no relevance in what I studied in.

I currently work at a bike shop and I don't even own a bike.

With an increase of hours I am finding it hard to get portfolio work done.

What I would like to know is how does anyone cope with the feeling your skills are being wasted in a job that has no relevance in what you want to do?

Also what jobs that have no relevance to 3d, games, art or design did you have to take to make ends meet (pay rent, bills ect)?

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I worked customer support and then IT. You just have to buckle down and really work at it and I mean really work at it. Take the amount of work you put into school and double it, do that for a year and you should be set.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    My day job is doing 3D work for Film VFX and I actually find it harder to come home to work on game art in my personal time than it was when I worked an unrelated retail job. Something about spending every waking minute staring at a 3D app is problematic, but I would imagine people already in the industry who need to keep their portfolio up to date could face the same issue. So it could be worse, or better depending on your perspective.

I suppose if you want it bad enough, you won't sleep or indulge in recreational activities.
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    What I would like to know is how does anyone cope with the feeling your skills are being wasted in a job that has no relevance in what you want to do?
    Alcohol, mostly.

Seriously, though, the answer to this question is: If you're serious about it, you'll find or make time to do it. Doing portfolio work until 3am and then getting up at 6am sucks, but sometimes it has to be done if you want out of the situation you're currently in.
    Also what jobs that have no relevance to 3d, games, art or design did you have to take to make ends meet (pay rent, bills ect)?
    I worked in a community college computer lab for years. That job consisted mostly of reading students' instructions to them. It taught me how to very effectively hate people. The pay was shit and so I stayed at my parents' house until I could afford to get out.
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Before i went fulltime in games i was a baker working midnights. I'd have to come home around 10am, sleep for a few hours, get about 4-5 hours of work in (portfolio or freelance) then repeat. I kept this up for about 2 years. it gets tough as hell when you dont get to see friends or do much of anything outside of work, but in the end if you really care about doing a job you like instead of floundering around in shit jobs your whole life then its worth it
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    you won't... indulge in recreational activities.

I wouldn't consider recreational activity 'indulging', but I guess if you feel spending every waking minute in front of a screen worth it, go for it.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    I wouldn't consider recreational activity 'indulging', but I guess if you feel spending every waking minute in front of a screen worth it, go for it.

I'm exaggerating to some degree. What matters most is finding a balance that keeps you as healthy and happy as you want to be. Competitive careers require sacrifices though.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're doing something completely out in left field then you're theoretically champing at the bit to do some art when you're home.

This is so true.
    You just have to buckle down and really work at it and I mean really work at it. Take the amount of work you put into school and double it, do that for a year and you should be set.

Since coming home from Uni in July 2012 I have produced more then double of what I did at Uni.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

To be honest I stopped applying for games job just because I felt my work wasn't up to scratch. I feel Uni only just introduced me to the world of 3d.
  • The Mad Artist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    This is so true.

Since coming home from Uni in July 2012 I have produced more then double of what I did at Uni.

Thanks for the replies guys, appreciated.

To be honest I stopped applying for games job just because I felt my work wasn't up to scratch. I feel Uni only just introduced me to the world of 3d.

Yep, once you're out of school, now's the time to really start learning. I continued working retail a bit right out of school, updating my site and work when I had freetime before I landed my first industry job.

There are plenty of other jobs that use the skills of a someone that knows 3d and photoshop, don't just limit yourself to a game studio job right out of school. Simulation, oil and gas 3d, architectural visualization, graphic design or multimedia etc, etc. Sometimes it's easier to get your foot in the door in a slightly different field, but one that still uses 3d or design skills. You'd probably be happier and better paid than working at a bike shop and you'd be getting experience.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are plenty of other jobs that use the skills of a someone that knows 3d and photoshop, don't just limit yourself to a game studio job right out of school. Simulation, oil and gas 3d, architectural visualization, graphic design or multimedia etc, etc. Sometimes it's easier to get your foot in the door in a slightly different field, but one that still uses 3d or design skills. You'd probably be happier and better paid than working at a bike shop and you'd be getting experience.

I haven't been, I applied for a graphic design job for a local magazine as well starting my own tshirt company.

Anything would be better than working in a bike shop.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    I've worked all sorts of jobs after I graduated from college. When I first graduated, I worked at Best Buy for 6 months. Pay sucked but I needed a job and I learned how scandalous that place was. Then I did tele-marketing for 3 months...yea, that didnt last long! After that, I tried freelancing for 6 months unsuccessfully...so I took a job delivering medical supplies to local hospitals. Then I took a graphic design job for 5 years. The pay was good and I learned a lot about working in a team environment. That was a huge stepping stone for me. I snagged a contract job doing characters on the side while I was there that turned into my full-time gig now. So hopefully the next chapter holds something better...just gotta keep at it!

Something that has helped me personally was getting a dry erase board. I hung it up in my home office. I broke it out in 2 columns...one is "Weekly short-term goals." The other is "Monthly long-term goals." I just got it not too long ago, but it has help keep me on track. I always tend to get overwhelmed with my own ideas or seeing a badass pieces of concept art that would be kool to do...and never deciding on anything. Paralysis by analysis...I've always been a victim of this! Anyway, keep at it man!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
    I actually did the most mind numbing dumbest shit of all time, it was perfect.

I cleaned dirt, cement, tar off of roadworks / construction signs. Yup! Absolute no brainer job, $18.50 an hour. It worked for me because I didnt need to use my brain at all... So every break i was drawing and doodling and writing, and then when I got home from work, it was all about 3d until I couldnt stay awake anymore.

My commute + Job took about 10 - 11 hours out of my day, and I would 3d for I guess a further 4 - 7 hours on weekdays and pretty much all day on weekends to get good.

I sacrificed everything, friends, family, the whole lot. Just for long enough to get a foothold and get in, then started backing off and letting everything back into my life gradually.

Removing distractions are the key to maximising your time. You'll be surprised how much time you just waste without even realising your wasting it. So remove as many distractions as you possibly can. But like so many have said, if you want it, youll find a way to make it happen, If you dont, then it's probably a sign that you dont really want it, the idea just sounds cool to you.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Also I think most people would recommend that you work a non-related job until you get in the industry you want to be in. If you're on a computer doing something similar, the likelihood of you coming home and working on your portfolio is pretty slim. If you're doing something completely out in left field then you're theoretically champing at the bit to do some art when you're home. And if you're not then you might not want it as badly as you think you do.

I worked in a related job - I did freelance graphic design, web design, web coding, ads for video walls and eventually got my first games gig. I think it really helped me to practice every day and get better workflows, but I also learned many skills which didn't necessarily help me get a job, but which I'm now glad I have, like knowing my way around with after effects and illustrator. The work, especially the animated video ads, gave me challenges to learn from when it came to doing certain things in 3d.

But there are many roads to your goal. Not just one. You just have to find the one that's the best for you.
  • Irreal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irreal polycounter lvl 10
    I made power tools at Black and Decker for 5 years with another 5 years on the dole to top it off. That was when I still thought I was gonna be a rockstar though. When that didn't pan out I went for plan B which was videogames.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I decided that having another job was too distracting to focus on my portfolio as much as I needed to. So in college I didnt have one, even after I graduated I still didnt get a "regular" job. I just spent all my time getting better at what I love to do until I got a job in the industry.

I actually had a 40 hour a week internship at a game studio for 3 months during my last quarter at school. When that was over they offered to turn my internship into a contract. I declined that and became unemployed for the next 2/3 months.

Thats right, I had an internship, making video games and was offered employment and turned it down to become unemployed and work on my portfolio full time for the next 2 or 3 months. This was a HUGE gamble, but I set myself high expectations of the Triple A quality I wanted to work on, and I knew I couldn't get it there. With great timing, a ton of lucky, and having focused on my portfolio exclusively for those 2 or 3 months I ended up getting perfect job right out of college. I guess my gamble paid off :)

So yeah, just get the perfect job right out of school and you will be set ha. but seriously, you need to just give up basically everything if you TRULY want to make it. Give up friends, games, significant others, jobs, parties, hobbies to the maximum extent you can to focus fully on becoming a great artist.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    NyneDown wrote: »
    I've worked all sorts of jobs after I graduated from college. When I first graduated, I worked at Best Buy for 6 months.

I tried to go that route but got turned down, with the best advice I ever got from somebody doing job interviews. The manager, a friendly older man told me "You're overqualified and I won't hire you. Because I know that when the first opportunity comes you will quit and follow your dream. We cannot use people like this here. Don't waste your time here. Work on your skills and get the job you really want instead, it will be better for you!". I was angry for not getting the job as I was running out of cash, but that was really good advice. If I had gotten that job I probably wouldn't be where I am today :)
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did all those jobs when I was a student. Good way to learn different skills.
    The lessons I learned from jobs I did not like ...
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    Autocon wrote: »
    With great timing, a ton of lucky, and having focused on my portfolio exclusively for those 2 or 3 months I ended up getting perfect job right out of college. I guess my gamble paid off :)

lol that's so awesome, well played sir.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12

Gotta agree with Jordan, take time and go outside once in awhile especially when your busting your ass on your portfolio, nothing is worse than staying on the computer all day you'll just get tunnel vision and wont be able to look at your work with fresh eyes.

taking a break every couple hours and indulging in some other activities can be very beneficial, unless you are getting shit drunk that wont help anyone :P
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    one of my biggest leaps came from getting a night security job, didn't have a great laptop had dodgy wifi, but this allowed me to work on my fundamental drawing skills, and watched many you-tube tutorials, and even fleshed out some design ideas for potential future projects.

in the same turn now I find myself unemployed (but with enough money to do what I want for once) I need some consistent breaks from working on my port to actually keep my work to a high standard, staying at the computer doesn't help as much as lifting some weights does, or going outside and taking pictures in fact I find it to be extremely counter intuitive to try and force your best too much.

That said maintaining some sort of a routine, and giving yourself enough time to work is essential, I consider a routine and organization to be a good way to ease into something, a cluttered room can become a cluttered mind, the more worries you can alleviate big or small, the easier it will come to you.

And for everything else theres modafinil :poly142:.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    With an increase of hours I am finding it hard to get portfolio work done.

So yeah, just get the perfect job right out of school and you will be set ha. but seriously, you need to just give up basically everything if you TRULY want to make it. Give up friends, games, significant others, jobs, parties, hobbies to the maximum extent you can to focus fully on becoming a great artist.

That's a nice story man :) And yes I agree, following your dreams always comes with a risk, but that risk is also what seperates you from other people. Your friends may end up disliking you for never having time for them and stuff like that. It happened to me, it happened to my twin brother but we both got the jobs of our dreams. Our friends though? They're still stuck doing the same shitty stuff they've hated since they got it.

You need to make time doing portfolio work to make it. That means have a fixed schedule, planned out everything you need to know to be considered hirable ie recognize the level you need to be at (usually the same or higher than your fellow artists in the same situation). Spend every waking second trying to learn more about art, in the bathroom, while you're having dinner etc etc. Watch/Read Tutorials, art-magazines, art-books. Analyze and break down other peoples work and figure out why they look good and how they did it and how you can apply that knowledge to your own work.

You also need to spend your time networking and getting to know people in the industry. Befriend people , let them know you're interested and willing. Show people your work and that you're progressing. :thumbup:

Try and save as much money as you can, it'll come in handy if you ever decide to take a chance and go jobless a couple of months to just work on your portfolio. High Risk/Reward kind-of thing. After University(unrelated to 3d education), I went jobless for 6 months learning, then I got a job as a 3d-art teacher for high-school kids, one 3-hour class a week. I made enough money to pay rent, and a little food. The rest of the time and money was going toward my dream. 6 months after that, I was in the industry.

So just keep working hard man!
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    friends will understand the need to follow your dream. Don't be a jerk, don't break off all contact though. The ones you'll be still talking to after you finished your folio and got a job are your real friends.
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You also need to spend your time networking and getting to know people in the industry. Befriend people , let them know you're interested and willing. Show people your work and that you're progressing. :thumbup:

This is something I honestly need to work on. I tried doing a sketchbook on 3dtotal but I just abandon it due to Work.
    you need to just give up basically everything if you TRULY want to make it. Give up friends, games, significant others, jobs, parties, hobbies to the maximum extent you can to focus fully on becoming a great artist.

I agree with this to a certain degree, but I don't think I could fully abandon everything in my life. I need my running, my girlfriend and my family. If I'm not working I am most probably doing portfolio work and researching new methods and workflows.
    NyneDown wrote: »
    Something that has helped me personally was getting a dry erase board. I hung it up in my home office. I broke it out in 2 columns...one is "Weekly short-term goals." The other is "Monthly long-term goals." I just got it not too long ago, but it has help keep me on track. I always tend to get overwhelmed with my own ideas or seeing a badass pieces of concept art that would be kool to do...and never deciding on anything. Paralysis by analysis...I've always been a victim of this! Anyway, keep at it man!

This is a brilliant idea and something I will do. I think i do get overrun with the amount of things I need to learn and apply to future work.

Thanks again for all the feedback, appreciated.
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    Just try to find time where you can, there is no magic formula. Don't go along with this 'give up everything' BS, do not sever relationships or down-time with friends, you'll look back and regret it. Some people seem to act as if the be all and end all is to work on a game. No wonder exploitation is so rife.

Balance it.. find time for yourself and do some personal projects in between your day job. See if you could work less hours (if you can afford to), maximize your time when you can do artwork. Time management and making short and long term goals.
  • Giles_P
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I worked in a supermarket during Uni and for two years after Uni. I did a bit of freelance work too so I was working 6 days a week (4 days at supermarket and 2 days freelance) Finally landed a job in the games indsutry. It was not easy though finding the motivation to work on portfolio stuff! Just got to keep plugging away and improving your skills.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    watch this every day after coming home from work

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GcusXA069I"]Inspiring Clip Of The Week How Bad Do You Want It (Success) .mp4 - YouTube[/ame]
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We've been over this in the past but I agree with Haz entirely.

Forget parties, forget ball games, forget TV, forget video games - forget every time vampire in your life. Put it all on hold and work. Yeah, if you're tired and want to take a break, fine. But every time you have a choice, try to err on the side of working on your skills/portfolio. If you WANT to do this as a career, that choice should come easily.

It's not forever. It's temporary pain so you can live the life you want to in the future. Everything good requires sacrifice and life is a series of choices ... make the choices that are conducive to getting you what you want.

I know this post will be followed by a series of posts advocating a social life and the benefits of not burning yourself out, etc. My experience? If you want success, you're going to have to take it. It won't be given to you.

There are too many highly talented and skilled artists out there competing for the same job that you want. You've got to put the time in if you expect to be able to beat them out.
  • darthwilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had done a 3 year degree in computer games design and I always knew I wasn't going to get a AAA industry job because my artwork just wasn't good enough. I decided to do a Masters degree in computer games design and modelling which could have helped my chances in getting a job. Of course we all know that the art talent trumphs qualifications.

I got some lucky breaks with freelance work as well as a Scottish game development competition called "Dare to be Digital". This gave me lots of additional experience... However.

This time last year I was finishing up Dare to be Digital in Scotland and I was unemployed and no job, out of a 6 year relationship with someone and just in a shit place.. I applied to lots of jobs and most industries don't even reply back to you.. I had one phone interview and one interview but failed.

I finally managed to get my lucky break with a private Irish college and I am now teaching a game design course.. It was on contract until this October but I have got an extension until March. It could be that in March it will be extended again or it'll run out. In which case it's back to the drawing board.

I am in the same boat though, I have little time to work on portfolio due to work. I just gotta spend all my time out side of work to keep working on that portfolio.. It'll work out eventually!! No pain - no gain.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    I started as character artist but I knew it would be very difficult to compete with some of the kickass people in the industry. Eventually I worked on my technical skills again and now I work as technical artist. This may not work for everyone, I know. All I want to say, there are many routes into the industry, and some are often not as obvious.

Also remember: baby steps. Some people are lucky to start at their dream studio right away, but many need to work their way there, working on their folio, gathering experience and titles for their resume. It gets considerably easier once you're in, even if your first job ain't AAA.
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator

Also I think most people would recommend that you work a non-related job until you get in the industry you want to be in. If you're on a computer doing something similar, the likelihood of you coming home and working on your portfolio is pretty slim. If you're doing something completely out in left field then you're theoretically champing at the bit to do some art when you're home. And if you're not then you might not want it as badly as you think you do.

i can confirm that
    i am modeling car parts 8-10 hour a day at work, after that my motivation to start modelling something at home is near zero
    even if you manage to somehow motivate yourself, its not very healthy to sit 16+ hours in front of a screen
  • Nysuatro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was lucky Xoliul asked me to work on Xoliul Shader 2. That gave me lots of exposure and directly a job as a technical artist.

One of the examples that there are many ways to do a certain thing.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The advice can be boiled down to : make stuff. You won't get a job making game art based on your good looks or charm. So make stuff. :)
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I think the times when I worked the hardest to improve was when I had a job I absolutely hated.