Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Sci-Fi Crossbow

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
For the past few weeks I've been modelling this crossbow concept by this talented fella:-http://rockdavinci.cghub.com/

At this point I am now ready to move on to the low poly but first want some feedback.

9353949866_9e58a46b7a_b.jpg

Cheers

Replies

• Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    I think your edges are too sharp in many areas. The concept itself has the issue that it consists of many geometrical shapes. Although this looks great in the concept you need to find out why those shapes work in the concept and, in my opinion, don't work the same way in your hp.
    With the sharp edges on your shapes your lowpoly will miss a lot of those edge-highlights depicted in the concept. In the concept most edhes on larger parts are beveled to some degree. In your HP the same edges are often just rounded through subdivison. You can and should add those bevels to your high poly.
    In general I suggest to exagerate the shapes and edges a little. This will help to bring the bulky look of the concept to your lowpoly.

Also you might want to add different materials to recreate the materials and colors in the concept. This will help you to judge your HP vs the concept and also will help when baking your maps, because you can easily bake material-masks that will safe you much time.

799_max.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    Cheers Slave_Zero, I was actually thinking that whilst working on the low poly. Plan to do that tomorrow. Could you highlight some obvious areas on the concept to focus on, like circle them ect?
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Hey there: If made you an overpaint in which areas I would change base-geometry of the highpoly. The lines above the concept show how I would do it in vertain areas whereas the purpel-lines above your model show how your basic-geometry seems to be constructed. I hope this helps.

Also: I feel bad for raping this neat concept with those cyan lines. ;)

overpaint_crossbow.png