Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AkiRa's Environment Art Thread

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AkiRa polycounter lvl 6
LATEST UPDATE!

1.jpg

__________________________________________________________________________________________________
ORIGINAL POST!

Hi guys

after some heavily failed projects (mainly due to self-doubts and other unimportant problems) I want to tackle some really serious stuff, ultimately getting better, overcome those annoying mistakes I repeatedly make (and the paralyzing “I can’t do it” – mindset) and finally starting to get stuff done properly! (Which means the goal is quality I would be able to get a job with)

Since I noticed that I was moving too slow and still not achieved the quality I wanted my work to have in the past, I decided to post this project here right at the start to give me a harder kick in the ass to don’t waste time and get things going!

By the way:
I would pretty much describe myself as a beginner to 3D game art, doing it and self-teaching me for about 2 and a half years now and feeling like I barely just scratched the surface. :D

The reason I don't gave this thread the name of the project I’m going to post here is because I want to post my next 3 projects in this thread one after another to get feedback and crits and -as mentioned above- finally improving. (I hope this goes along with the rules of this forum, if not, I just post one project in here and create a new thread for the next one!)
Just say what u think, nothing can be too harsh if it helps me to become a better artist and also get one step closer to the job I’ve ever dreamed of!
And even if it’s not helpful it maybe can make somebody laugh anytime! ;)

As I sometimes tend to get tired of stuff after looking at it for a while and also to procrastinate things for no reason, I think a self-set deadline is the best thing to do. Not at least to make the ass kick even harder but also to learn to push unimportant stuff going around in my head away, concentrate fully on the project and get the job done!
I choose two months (which means 24th of September, 2013) as a good timeframe to complete this project in the quality I’m aiming for. (I know it’s very long for a concept like that but with normal life alongside and all the new things to learn it should be OK I hope)

So then, enough talking. Let’s get started!

image_1327156753.jpg
image_1327158355.jpg

For the first project I choose these concepts from the great Raphael Lacoste mainly because of their awesome lighting (which is definitely a thing I need to get better at) and the variety of textures used in them. I post both because they are obviously belong together but I'll only use the one shown in the breakdown.

As for the engine I’m going to use I choose the UDK because I really love this engine and want to learn more about it (so what better way than using, eh?)

So my goals for this are to:

- Heavily improving the overall quality of my work
- get better at creating textures (ZBrush as well as generally)
- get better at lighting
- get a better hang of engine internals like the UDK material editor and Lightmass
- get better at breaking down stuff and planning (block out as well as 2D)
- staying closer to the concept (Perspective/Colors/Mood)
- improve my overall modeling/sculpting skills
- optimize stuff better
- making this a valid portfolio piece I can be proud of

So yeah, a deadline, lots of goals, lots of work to do!

I've already made the texture and model breakdown and will start start with blockout right now!

http://i.imagebanana.com/img/b6pvhcyj/SceneBreakdown.jpg

TL;DR:
I hope to get feedback on this project which helps me to become a better artist.
Thank you! :D

Thanks in advance for all your critiques and comments and of course the amazing Polycount love! I really, really appreciate it!

Replies