Home General Discussion

Teenagers death blamed (wrongly) on videogaming

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
I'm saddened but unsurprised that this shit is STILL peddled by our national newspapers.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/07/16/killed-by-a-heart-condition-daily-mail-exploits-teens-death/

Replies

• ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    He died because our bodies are made to get excited and his heart couldn't cope with it so games have nothing to do with that.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    "Daily Mail".

You can stop reading there.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Daily Mail isn't even a newspaper. To qualify, it would have to report the news...
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Finally, some proof that video games are truly evil, thank you Daily Mail! Hopefully we can ban them all over the world. Long live the days of Scrabble and Monopoly!
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I have a son with Asperger's and a daughter with a heart condition so this particular piece pissed me off royally.

We all play (and love) videogames. My feeling is that the Mail's core readership are a dying breed (literally) since there's now a core of older folks who've spent a life with videogames and know bullshit when they smell it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry, at least video games don't cause cancer:
    http://kill-or-cure.herokuapp.com/a-z/v
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    We're missing the point, its was all Sonic's fault! J/K, I mean come on, sonic the hedgehog, really? Maybe she is trying to discredit the daily fail by writing such a ridiculous article?
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    VIDEO GAMES ARE VERY DANGEROUS... if one falls of the shelf and hits you on the head.
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    So the gaming blog profits off of pointing out a "news" article with blatant sensationalistic content in order to also profit, which continues to perpetuate the fact that this type of shit is profitable... for both sides. Awesome.

I was expecting Dead Space or something of the sorts, but man, Sonic?

At any rate, it's a tragedy. If only they were aware of his condition.
  • MattQ86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MattQ86 polycounter lvl 15
    As an American my understanding of The Daily Mail is that it's the right wing rumor rag to go to if you want to find out today what happened yesterday in the words of somebody's racist grandpa.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Geezus wrote: »
    So the gaming blog profits off of pointing out a "news" article with blatant sensationalistic content in order to also profit, which continues to perpetuate the fact that this type of shit is profitable... for both sides. Awesome.

I was expecting Dead Space or something of the sorts, but man, Sonic?

At any rate, it's a tragedy. If only they were aware of his condition.
    Yeah, RPS has gone through the cracks recently, not good at all. They were my only true source of all PC gaming, but with people like John Walker writing borderline flame-bait articles, this site became (in some cases) even worse then Kotaku.

The thing is, the article isn't half as bad as they make it out to be from the Mail, I mean the kid DID die from being extremely excited because of a Sonic game, that's part of the equation, they also included the lack of health screening for young children to be also an issue, and how the parents what to change that.

They also mention an athlete suffering from the same issue.

The ONLY person to say anything remotely bad passively about games was the doctor, and even he said anything that excites you if you have this condition can be fatal and just used games as an example.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2365123/Excitement-video-game-triggered-fatal-heart-attack-teenager-died-playing-Xbox.html

Honestly, it's very tame and to the point, I don't see the fuss John Wanker is raising about it.
  • Dazz3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dazz3r polycounter lvl 12
    @Ace-Angle, its the article headline.."Killed by a video game", thats not tame if you ask me, its ridiculous!
  • Baron Flame
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    Games are evil and dangerous. I interview this one guard for The Jyggalag(brilliant newspaper, 'Purveyors Of The Truth') few years ago and ever since I've always been cautious.
    When I was young and adventurous, I used to go about hunting dragons and killing chickens for fun. But time teaches and teaches well. I was nearly beheaded by a dragon but luckily one of my friends, who is lousy with the bow, overshot. I took an arrow to the knee,fell onto the ground and got away with just a Guile-esque haircut. Those dragons have mighty sharp talons I tell you. And don't get me started on the chickens. Sheogorath be merciful! You never know when one might get pissed off and explode in a mighty ball of fire.
    - Town Guard, Skyrim, Tamriel

I'm telling you now be careful.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    Yeah, RPS has gone through the cracks recently, not good at all. They were my only true source of all PC gaming, but with people like John Walker writing borderline flame-bait articles, this site became (in some cases) even worse then Kotaku.

The thing is, the article isn't half as bad as they make it out to be from the Mail, I mean the kid DID die from being extremely excited because of a Sonic game, that's part of the equation, they also included the lack of health screening for young children to be also an issue, and how the parents what to change that.

They also mention an athlete suffering from the same issue.

The ONLY person to say anything remotely bad passively about games was the doctor, and even he said anything that excites you if you have this condition can be fatal and just used games as an example.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2365123/Excitement-video-game-triggered-fatal-heart-attack-teenager-died-playing-Xbox.html

Honestly, it's very tame and to the point, I don't see the fuss John Wanker is raising about it.

Wow, ok I am really sorry that I cant help but being random and off topic here. I cant help but think that Mrs Sarah Pyatt has three blond hair kids and one black hair.. Also she is not showing any sort of sympathized expression on her face while taking pictures for this.."news."

I am extremely sorry it just seems like one of those cases where they actually plan to sue some big company for quick cash.:poly122:
  • Ark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    "Daily Mail".

You can stop reading there.

This!