Home General Discussion

Livestreamer's be wary!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Just thought I would spread this around, to hopefully make a few more people aware.

Woke up this morning to find my inbox filled with people linking me to a 'tutorial' I supposedly made.

http://gfxdomain.net/blog/2013/07/ha...ush-45645.html

I didn’t make any tutorial at all, but this place has taken my live streams and packaged them together and presented it like it is, when it certainly isn't.

This is me, talking smack with friends, swearing profusely and basically responding to questions - some of which have absolutely nothing to do with 3d at all. There are huge pauses in the stream ( gone to lunch ) and even the occasional questionable 'reference' image lol.

Not only does this hurt the people out there who are making legitimately awesome and focused tuts to help people with, it in essence makes me feel like I need to stop talking in livestreams altogether, and remove any videos instead of storing them for people to watch at their leisure, or that I need to turn into some tight wad straight up and down, professional at all times <---Totally not me.

I've requested very nicely to have it taken down.

Epic loss all round. Thoughts / Ideas?

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Hm... I find it really weird someone would do something like that.

But I remember when I was young(er), I made a few really bad tutorials and I had some sites take them as their "own" saying they had made them, but if they wanted their named stamped on my crappy tutorial then :P

But your situation is different cause this does affect you personally, doing a search on the title and you find a bunch of sites having it listed as a tutorial.
    So you might want to send a mail to them as well, although I fear it will not do much good.

Search result: https://www.google.no/search?q=Hazardousarts+–+Sculpting+a+Female+Character+in+ZBrush&oq=Hazardousarts+–+Sculpting+a+Female+Character+in+ZBrush&aqs=chrome.0.69i57&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dude, holy fucking shit. It's everywhere! Super depressing.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Sorry that happened to you hazardous, I hope you find a way to deal with this without changing your public facing behavior too much, you're a great source of information and inspiration in the community and it would be sad if you needed to change those habits because of these unscrupulous type practices. Nobody would blame you for backing off, but it'd be a loss for all of us.

Good luck.
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, hopefully people will be smart enough to look through it, and see that it's a livestream and nothing like a tutorial.

And if it does not catch any attention people will most likely lose interest, although this thread might not help with that.

I don't see a change in attitude being necessary as it's not your fault, we all have personal lives, and the way you talk with friends on skype or over livestream has nothing to do with you professionally, but some do let this get in the way.

Maybe find a site that does not save the recordings, but if there is someone there in person recording it then I don't know.
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    Seems like a tough one. Perhaps part of the price of success, and skill. Being so visible you may have to be more careful with what you broadcast, as it's being seized upon by what appears to be a ravenous community of knowledge seekers, file traders, and librarians.

Once you fire that stuff into the internet, you lose control of that data. Probably not legally, but effectively - you can't spend your time chasing down the distributors and issuing take-down requests.

So your options seem somewhat limited:
    Only broadcast things you're comfortable with the community/your boss/the nsa/ potential employers hearing.
    Create a professional series of tutorials, that will inevitably be pirated, to 'drown out' the livestream stuff.
    Create a subscription based, or private stream to limit the availability of the data and hope for the best.

Basic stuff, but that's all I've got.
  • joeriv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joeriv polycounter lvl 7
    Seems like all those sites are all illegal downloads/torrenting sites, so asking it to take down is probably not gonna do a lot.
    Just make sure that people tell about the livestream in those comment sections and hope for the best it seems.

They all seem to link to the same three/four downloading sites (and not a torrent), so maybe try to send a email to those hosting sites with the explanation, could never hurt I think.

Always shitty when one guy has to ruin it for everyone else (and put you in this position).

Just a note on the recording:
    If the guy is following you (gets a email when you go live), and he is really adamant about doing this again, he can just record it while you are live.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    I know this is the worst way to warn you, but don't read the comments on some of those sites. Just, really really don't.

The good news, is it looks like some people are leaving positive comments explaining where the footage is from, so hoorah for community support ^_^
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I have to say, this kinda shows that you are on the map, you're popular enough that people want to rip a stream and upload it as tutorial based upon name alone.

At the same time however, lets face it, most likely the person who did this did it for the sake of generating cash via downloads, these peeps will rip anything out there and upload it on shitty site like RapidGator, RapidShare, etc, to make money.

With that being said, I don't exactly see what the issue may be? If a recruiter catches you via this 'file', then there are bigger questions in play about this person rather then if were being a wanker or not in your videos, like why are they looking for talent via warez sites.

If anything this plays in your favor, if someone fires you an email with some angsty remarks, casually point out that they're doing no favors in their argument when they pirating a 'potential tutorial', and point them at the stream to show this was a public get together with friends online.

The second question is, how can this really impact your negatively on a public scale? A quick google search will ONLY show warez sites, they won't show your site directly with the video, 3DM, E3D, etc. Anyone who has half a brain can put 2 and 2 together to figure out that this was a simple Twitch rip.

If that still doesn't help, maybe put a blog or something along those lines, where you put up your wips, etc, and make a blanket statement about the issue? With proper keywords, ask peeps around to do a Google search and to click on your post only, that will pretty much make it the first hit in Google, good enough that you can honeypot the results in your favor so anyone else trying to being smart with you gets an answer.

With all that said, I seriously don't see what the big issue is, everything is in your favor so far, down to the smallest point. There is literally zero stuff ruined as of now (if you don't count people who might be making less then wholesome pennies via downloads).
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    If this is the artist equivalent of a scandalous sex tape... I like it.

JK Jk, love ya Haz.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Edit: Nevermind, didn't see Stromberg90's post.

But I have to admit that when I first saw it, I thought it was legit. Until I saw this thread.
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    I've watched some of your streams and you're never offensive. Only a small majority of artists will think this is a legitimate tutorial and those that do probably won't be advanced enough to follow what you're up to yet anyway.

Also, it just shows that THE Hazardous is a normal dude with a personality too. I doubt there's any way to stop this but I also doubt that it'll give you a bad rep so please keep on sharing as it's really useful to us noobies :D
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    I might not fully understood the situation but I'm curious:

What they did is take your livestream recordings(which are freely avaible?) and package them and upload them to sites like GFXDomain for "others"(read the guys who frequent those sites)? I might have missed something but where is the harm in that? If the stream is freely available they are only sharing and "spreading" the word without any harm done since you aren't selling VODs? This would be the same if I had the VODS lying around on my harddrive and sharing it with a friend who might be interested in the 'tutorial' or am I totally missing the problem? :)
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    Don't stop streaming! Just add 'This is not a tutorial. It's an everyday stream' Phrase somewhere on your stream and it will be fine.

Btw I love the new tutorial. Im at the part when you have to go and make a shake to become better. Best 250$ ever spent!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    With all that said, I seriously don't see what the big issue is.

Because IMO this takes away from the people that take creating tutorials seriously and do it for an income or supplimental income. Because this guy has packaged this as a legit tutorial, It cheapens the whole arena I guess. Its just a shame that this has to happen is all.
  • Gnutmi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnutmi polycounter lvl 10
    People that are willing to download from these sites are the ones that rather torrent then pay for something, even if its for the greater good. Anyone that is advanced enough to be wanting to learn stuff like that will instantly figure it out that it is not a tutorial and will discredit the uploader.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    as bad as it may seem, remember any exposure is good exposure
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Because IMO this takes away from the people that take creating tutorials seriously and do it for an income or supplimental income. Because this guy has packaged this as a legit tutorial, It cheapens the whole arena I guess. Its just a shame that this has to happen is all.

I guess I can see how you'd feel that way and it sucks to have control taken out from under you, but I wouldn't say it cheapens anything. After all, I don't think that random people posting youtube tutorials cheapens the folks at Eat3D or 3DMotive (as long as it isn't just copying their videos, obviously.) It is just another way for people that are hungry to learn to get advice. I think the disservice is how they're packaging something differently than what you had intended it to be.

That being said, you've been a great benefit to this community in my opinion. You've written tutorials for Vertex, given hands on training with your "Create a girl" course, and overall you've never hoarded you knowledge. I really hope that whoever is doing this doesn't sour you and keep you from contributing like you have in the past.
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

i dont see how it affects commercial tutorials in any way. people who need full paid tutorials will buy them anyways. people who download this will see that this was not actually a tutorial and will eventually buy actual tutorials instead.

besides, there are tons of free tutorials created by lots of great artists.
    i have seen free tutorials shared like this everywhere, including tutorials i made myself. free tutorials are meant to be shared and i personally dont mind them spreading.

the only injustice here is that this was not meant to be packaged as a tutorial and downloaded online like this WITHOUT your approval.

however, i feel like the entity to blame is not gfxdomain rather the person who actually watched your livestream, recorded it and then made it public download. find the source of the leak, then blame him/her.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Going to take all of the chit chat, racist comments, drunk texts, mild knowledge sharing, and shit talking from Polycount's Skype chat - package it all up and distribute it as the Polycount Ultimate Collection. hope you guys don't mind.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    'No voice-over or tutorial instructions. It’s just set to a continuous annoying gay disco track.

AVOID!'

Ouch, haz. Looks like the critics are a bit harsh with your content.

I should put up entire irc chatlog of #model_design and set up a web store to sell a printed book of it. $__$
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    ...Epic loss all round. Thoughts / Ideas?
    Have a read of the sentence at the bottom of this page, they have a proviso to having materials removed - http://gfxdomain.net/blog/about-us
    And if you want to hit google go here - https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/164734?hl=en - you do have to format the request in a particular way to have ALL iterations of the content removed otherwise you have to list each entry individually.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    Gav wrote: »
    Going to take all of the chit chat, racist comments, drunk texts, mild knowledge sharing, and shit talking from Polycount's Skype chat - package it all up and distribute it as the Polycount Ultimate Collection. hope you guys don't mind.

Where can I purchase this?
  • Velktri
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Velktri polycounter lvl 6
    You could put a small note on that custom twitch UI you built to say that the stream reflects your personal work and should not be regarded as a professional tutorial. Something like that with better wording.

Also I think this is a one time thing (kind of). If they did that to the Bliss or Morrigan streams the "tutorial" would be over 30 hours long for each.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    sorry hazardous :( i frequent your stream as a polycount ghost thanks to stubbles... crazy that someone would have the interest to do this.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that would be an easy fix if Twitch would add the ability to overlay a watermark message of some kind.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    i second that warren. i know that hazardous could add his own watermark if need be.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eat3D does that. It's subtle but they overlay your email address on streaming video. Seems to work...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    whats the point of making pirate download link to something that already free in the first place?
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    It's limited to the warez scene though, the same scene that repackages free models and releases them as "Professional Base Mesh w/ Tutorial from Great Artists".

Everyone gets damaged in this scene all the time, and this won't be the last time.

Or posts Unity for free...hell, I even once saw UDK being posted as the 'real UDK', it was hilarious to read the butthurt comments about Epic putting spyware trying to monitor everyones move in this release as if it was some master plan.

You're not indirectly damaging anything, nor is anything being damaged.

What I'm trying to say is that it's a dick move on what this person did (I was able to track the original post on a certain site of the Persian nature) and trying to contain it at this point is useless due to the quick spill out, you can have the files taken down and asking at the original site for the take down is usually an effective way at curbing it (the original site has a history of taking down files that belong to single or indie people that aren't big companies), especially getting rid of the original (and only) torrent file.

Yeah, it sucks and it must feel real nasty to have something taken from under you nose, but your best solution is to honestly just honeypot this post or something on your blog about the entire issue and call it a day, it's not like this could get any worse, just threat like it's a bandage on a hairy arm.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    They have a forum - have you called them out on this, there?

EDIT: This might read like I am saying, 'Don't post this here at Polycount'. I'm absolutely not. In fact, I'm glad its here. But you may get some answers/action if you did so on theirs.
  • a3sthesia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    your watermark could state that it's free and not for redistribution, and does not indicate your professional use of the f word :)
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Did they rip it from your past videos? is it possible to not allow recordings of your streams? maybe that'll stop it from happening again :/
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    xvampire wrote: »
    whats the point of making pirate download link to something that already free in the first place?

People can make money from ads on their site.
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    aajohnny wrote: »
    Did they rip it from your past videos? is it possible to not allow recordings of your streams? maybe that'll stop it from happening again :/

No, you really cant prevent it from being recorded.

There are two methods to grab such videos...the first is to use any number of plugins for firefox. When you do that, you will have to download a ton of smaller flv files, then combine them together in a video editor.

The other method, which is easier, is just to play the video while you are using something like camtasia to record it in real time.

Epic loss all round. Thoughts / Ideas?

I wouldnt say its an epic loss. It means your work is good to the point where many wish to learn from it.

Actually my gf sent me the twitch.tv link with your video. She was impressed and was asking me if there was a way she could DL for her learning/inspiration folder. I dont think she knows, much less others, that you didnt want it to get out like that.

The demand is there though.

You could release your own version of it with a disclaimer or with you doing voice over and im sure that one will replace whatever version is going around now.

Additionally you can use it to your advantage. This means there is a market growing for your work. Why not try your hand at releasing some tutorials for $$$. You are already getting free exposure now.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav wrote: »

Thats definitely part of it, Gav & I are going to do this. Be thankful we even gave you some kind of warning! :thumbup:
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would just leave it as is. If people ultimately judge you w/o questioning your ethics directly to you. What do you have to lose?

Keep on keeping on with the good energy you put into your work as always. If people take 1% of livestream commentary as a way to inhibit your ability to stay a professional. Well, I can say at least we can both can make a pretty good estimate on what is worth pursuing and what needs attention in dismissing.
  • 3devo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3devo polycounter lvl 12
    You should atleast try emailing twich or livestream or whoever provides your video streams. seems to me they'd be pretty motivated to crack down on crap like this. just a suggestion.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    aajohnny wrote: »

I rip a lot of videos for my team without good internet access. And in China with the terrible internet watching a livestream is extremely painful when it stutters all the time due to buffering
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Man I would have raged over this personally, especially the whole presentation of it (box with an image on etc). I'm all for putting a watermark in the top left of future livestreams, stating it's 'just for fun and not a tutorial and you do not consent to redistribution and whoever does steal this has a teeny tiny penis' :thumbup:

I wouldn't stop making them tho, nuts to them, talk how you wanna talk. I don't see how it would affect you professionally given the type of sites they are on and who would frequent them. Plus people love smack talk haha, I enjoy listening to podcasts and the like where artists just talk about any interesting ol' thing they feel like. :D
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
    On the bright side...you know your popular when...

Sorry Haz, hope it doesn't prevent streams in the future :(
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the thoughts people - appreciate them!! I've only requested the site that had it packaged up and displayed as a tutorial remove it, the rest I don't really care about. We'll see how that goes!
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    This situation sucks n' all that, but we really need to get you into some better music.

^_^
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    This situation sucks n' all that, but we really need to get you into some better music.

^_^

I tried. Oh lord how I did try.
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Very sorry this happened to you. I once found out that an art school was using my renders of character wireframes as an instructional tool. The assignment was to replicate my models from the images. I was flattered but at the same time students were paying money to a school to learn off of art I freely released to the public.

- BoBo
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Best of luck Haz looks like someone hates or loves you.

Bobo whoa dude that sucks, this really dampens spirits at least It would mine to even share any of this stuff if this is how people repay your generous nature. It is such a waste of time they obviously have to much on their hands.

I wonder if this is the same dude or dudes that have been harassing polycount for years, maybe even that one guy I forget his name there have been so many through the years especially when we catch them in there lies and boast there real ID all over the web as a poser.

Oh well all that time could have been spent learning and getting better if it is this same person.

I like the water mark idea put It right in the middle of the video this is free learning material, boom nicely done.

Again best of luck.
    Edit:(not serious but just a thought)
    Or this was just you staying relevant and spoken about, which would be an almost smart thing to do if you started this mess in the first place. I don't know you personally to state that 100% but I am just looking at both sides of this card.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Oh wow, this is mind boggling! The internet keeps finding ways to impress us.

This is why we don't we good things.
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Yeah, that would be an easy fix if Twitch would add the ability to overlay a watermark message of some kind.

I do this already with streaming some games, there are casting programs that allow you to overlay and show only what you want (for example only show Zbrush and not the 'images' you're looking at in the background) overlay/add images to the steam and also add other looping videos/webcam inset into the stream before it even hits Twitch/livestream/justintv . You could just tag it with your details and a warning thats you need/want on the screen.

It sucks that some douchebag is packaging it up as a tutorial when it plainly isn't but what would annoy the shit outta me more is the comments some of the self entitled little pricks downloaded it make.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the music that Haz plays on his streams. I'll often play the stream in the background while I work on stuff. It's usually just the right mix of ambient noise and soft enough to fill in the empty space.

Unless it's something where they play an audio clip 9-10 times in a row. Gawd, that bugs me.