Home General Discussion

How do you become a games writer

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
Focusing on art obviously, but I've always wondered how a person becomes a game writer. I've heard different things, ranging from "be a published author first," to "be a member of the team first, either programming or art", and a multitude of other answers as well.

Anyone know anything about it?

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Not knowing much about it.
    I would think the best way would be writing for mods or even "simple" flash games, if only to show of the writing.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Generally speaking, all writers I've encountered thus far have come from a background in writing (short stories, novels, television).
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Good to know. Prolific writers or just people with a writing background, a couple of published works, or a creative writing ba?
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if anyone had a degree, but they were all published professionals in one way or another.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Anything specific? I understand if you never memorized their r
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    Doing some digging, one writer I've come into contact with had a degree in Journalism and wrote both childrens books and for a magazine with a moderately high recievership for a few years before moving into games. Another I've worked with directly had a degree in Philosophy and also came from journalism, writing freelance for a number of large magazines before transitioning into games.
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    a3sthesia polycounter lvl 10
    From what I've seen at some of the studios I've come by, a lot people seem to be writing short stories, short tv episodes and screenplays, before being pulled into work on movies and games. Where I am at the moment, I've seen Runners (of course ^_^ ), and production assistants move over to the writing team as well. It looks to me like they were using whatever they had access to, to get close to the right people, then dropping hints as necessary ;)

one sec....I'll go ask them questions....brb....

Ok! It looks like writing a blog/movie/game review via tumblr or wordpress, was their way of demonstrating their writing ability to their now-employers. So having something like that on hand to show off would be a good idea too.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Wow, amazing, thank you for asking for me!

I write as a hobby (or, I wrote, not in a couple months since my daughter was born), and being a games writer has never been my main goal, but I always thought it would be great to work as a writer on a game -- especially as narratives in games come of age.

I have a history of short stories and novels, and have lately been seeking publication with more purpose. My hope was that by having couple of published shorts under my belt by the time I joined a studio doing art would keep the door open for working as a writer at some point in any career I might have.

I suppose I should pursue that a little more seriously.

Thanks again.
  • ambershee
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd imagine if you're working in a smaller studio environment in particular, it'd be certainly possible to sidestep if you have some minor published works, as they seldom hire dedicated writing staff.
  • Paradan
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're already working somewhere, perhaps offer to write short snippets. Like, if it calls for it, small quests, or newspaper snippets (which you could probably sneak in with some texturing! :P ) - I always considered writing software and game reviews in my spare time, so that if I ever needed examples of my writing ability or style, I'd have the work there ready to demonstrate.

Then I bought a new camera and a Cintiq :P
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    tabletop RPG source books! My friend, Gary Astleford, has a pretty extensive background writing for tabletop source-books before getting into the video game industry.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks guys, and thanks Dustin for those links, I've seen most of them but the ones I didn't are very interesting.

I suppose I'll keep continuing in my direction of just writing as a hobby, and maybe chase publication with a bit more importance, and see what happens one day if the opportunity arises.

Thanks again.
  • a3sthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    More feedback from the office: "Children's publishing companies are always keen for new writers too." ^_^
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Justin! You know Gary? Small world! He's a good fella!

Also, I can second what Gary said--tabletop or pen-and-paper RPGs is where a large chunk of the game writers I know seem to have come from. In particular the level of lore depth --AND-- breadth seems to translate from that industry to this one...especially for fantasy or and RPG/MMO type games.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Unfortunately, if you think the barrier for art entry in the video game world is tough...writing is way more so. There are fewer dedicated writers per team, if any, and the 'perceived' barrier to entry is lower...that is...you don't need to know how-to-model-dem-shapes when it comes to writing...or how to use many technical tools at all, really...so people assume its easy (its not).

Anyway, that leads to a lot of "noise" for HR depts to wade through in the talent pool.
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Comic writers I know (from listening to comic centric podcasts) who got gamedev gigs:

Sean McKeever http://www.seanmckeever.com/ [Marvel books > Bioware Austin]

Kurtis Wiebe http://ca.linkedin.com/pub/kurtis-wiebe/9/641/169 [bus driver > Image comics > game studios]

Rick Remender: writer for Dead Space, Bulletstorm; started career as a 2D animator, then comics as artist and writer; full time writer now doing work-for-hire and creatorowned

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Remender

Just like with artist portfolios, prove you have what it takes to the do the job.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Unfortunately, if you think the barrier for art entry in the video game world is tough...writing is way more so. There are fewer dedicated writers per team, if any, and the 'perceived' barrier to entry is lower...that is...you don't need to know how-to-model-dem-shapes when it comes to writing...or how to use many technical tools at all, really...so people assume its easy (its not).

Anyway, that leads to a lot of "noise" for HR depts to wade through in the talent pool.

This is what I have always assumed, and why writing is just a hobby, but it occurred to me that if I was already on the art team, I might be able to cut through some of that hr noise. Anyways, I am am will continued to be focused on finding a studio art job, and if at some point in the future I get an opportunity, then I'll be prepared with some publications, and some unpublished novels.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Just speaking hypothetically here; but it's easier than it has ever been to create small, writing heavy free games through Ren'Py, Twine, ChoiceScript or what-have-you entirely by yourself, which seems to me to be good practice, fun, and perhaps if you're good enough a way to win small scale Internet fame.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I wish I could, but my time is limited. My day is spent with my 11 month old - chasing her around, making sure she doesn't die. Her advanced motor skills and ability to run and now climb furniture, mixed with an innate curiosity, make this a difficult task.

I could tie her down I suppose.

I get about 5-6 hours a day to work, after my wife and daughter go to bed. That puts me going to sleep every day around 4-5 am. Almost all of that time is spent doing freelance work. When I get non freelance time I do an anatomy study or something, since obviously practicing art is my first priority when I get freetime, since I'd like to take a studio position one day. I like freelancing, but I'd like some stability too.

Sometimes, when my wife has to work early, like tonight, she sleeps on the couch and I hole up with the daughter in the bedroom to do feedings and make sure mom gets enough sleep. Sleep, with a small child, is hard to come by. Those are the only times I get to do anything else. I could learn some of those programs and do a story game etc. but frankly --

1 - I miss writing, so that's what I choose to do.

2 - I wonder if doing something story heavy that takes an HR person or a creative person time to complete (as a game) is a better promotional tool for myself than a small number of well written short stories.
  • reverendK
    Offline / Send Message
    reverendK polycounter lvl 7
    that's it. polycount needs a writing section. it has been ordained.
  • Zwebbie
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    ysalex wrote: »
    1 - I miss writing, so that's what I choose to do.

2 - I wonder if doing something story heavy that takes an HR person or a creative person time to complete (as a game) is a better promotional tool for myself than a small number of well written short stories.
    I totally feel for you when it comes to lacking time, it bothers me too and I'm not nearly as busy as you are. And I'll be honest with you in that I don't quite know if having an online portfolio of short games is a way to get hired; I certainly haven't heard of it, and there is a massive difference in attitude between the artsy fartsy underprivileged Twine creators and inner 12-year olds that write big games.
    But at the same time, I'm just a tad skeptical of someone who wants to be a games writer but hasn't had the urge to, err, write any games (and Twine has a total of 20 minutes of tutorial, so that's hardly a barrier.) If someone said he wanted a job making 3D models but never bothered to open up a 3D modeling package, that'd be odd, wouldn't it?

Also, I don't think this one got mentioned yet, but Tom Jubert has a blog about writing for games, including an article on how he got hired for Penumbra and one with tips for hiring writers that might be interesting. Edit: and this one way the hell back in 2011.
  • ysalex
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    - But at the same time, I'm just a tad skeptical of someone who wants to be a games writer but hasn't had the urge to, err, write any games

Well, I can understand that, but I think the reasoning is a bit flawed.

I don't want to direct games. I don't want to design them. When I imagine writing games, I imagine that a designer/director/producer works to create a concept and feel and mixes that with game mechanics, and eventually a general story. When that's complete, I imagine it gets handed down to a writer/writers to flesh out the story and write dialogue and maybe come up with characters and characterizations.

This might be wrong, I suppose.

-If someone said he wanted a job making 3D models but never bothered to open up a 3D modeling package, that'd be odd, wouldn't it?

If you consider my explanation that writing for a game and designing a game are different things, this analogy makes very little sense.

____

I'd be happy if someone wants to correct me here.