Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Red dot sight wip questions

Hey all, Im making a red dot sight to practice hard surface modeling.

I have one question:

this piece bevels in a very odd way and it was hard for me to maintain this shape. is this an okay way to model this? What I mean is, are polygons supposed to "twist" like this?

The part im talking about is behind the adjusting hex screw that says "up"

nc_star_red_dot_reflex_sight_with_4_reticles_black_zps1584bb32.jpg

and here's a rear view of what I have to show you what I mean:

It goes from like a 25 degree angle to a 45 degree angle.
Capture_zps32a106a2.jpg

also, what's a good poly count for a sight to go on a gun? Im at 1700 now

Replies

• s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Block out is essential on a piece like this. There is no need to model this planar face with so many loops running horizontally. You should have just the bare necessary points to make the shape look right, then you can support it. So try model that particular face with 5 points. All on the same face.

As for polycount, Depends what the target engine is (mobileVsCryengine, For example) and really the project. If its for your portfolio, It's not as important how many tris/verts you use, But how effectively you use them. So Keep it as efficient as possible while still creating all the detail you see fit for your portfolio.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I removed the edge loops..im still optimizing this..my question is: this polygon I have circled will have a slight twist to it since one edge is approx. 25 degrees and the opposite edge is 45 degrees, is this okay?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    If it looks OK smoothed, Then go with it. If you want to get the concept perfect, Then it is possible to make that face planar. (no twist)

This may not be exact to the concept, could use some proportion adjustments, But the point stands. You can make it with no twist. Your biggest friend will be scaling the face localy.

All the surfaces on this piece are completely flat. Sorry for shitty image quality. To saved out as jpg like a fool.

Edit: And btw, On the last pic it may appear twisted, But the face is planar. you can tell from the other shaded shots that it is flat.

mtXsgu.jpg

1dSmmx.jpg

y0BoGv.jpg

ZnOAIw.jpg

Personally, i would have went with a sublet variant of the sight that doesn't have that weirdness going on over on that side. Like this image for example, would be a lot easier to get planar, and is nearly the same sight otherwise.

pic-015-ncs-4reticle-rd-dot-A.jpg
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here's a little update:

work1_zpsd332228f.png

work2_zps61e9b146.png

just gotta make a gloss map

and how exactly do I add opacity to the glass part?
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
    It depend entirely on how you're displaying the model. Unless you split the model into material groups using materialID/multisub, or separating the geo, you will have to use an opacity map.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7Tt7xtBOaA"]3ds max tutorial - Opacity map - YouTube[/ame] 3dsmax Opacity
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks! got it workin a bit, here's a sketchfab of it..

still a total WIP at this point.

https://sketchfab.com/show/vTgCbm3humE1bAHrKXi0xZpfMym