Home General Discussion

Ubisoft Accounts Comprimised

Apparently Ubisoft accounts have been compromised. http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/02/ubisoft-hacked/

To make things worse, there's a clever phishing email going around asking folks to click the link to change their password. IT at the office said this email is bad news, so I'm just spreading the word.

Do NOT click the links in this email!

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Yep, received one about an hour or so ago. Thanks for the heads up.
  • nick2730
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting, wonder who
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Never click links in email!

Fixed that for you. :) Seriously, I wish people would stop that...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Huh. Good thing I left that email alone.
  • Devin Busha
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting conflicting info now.

Their UK forum manager Mr. Shade says it's official - http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/779063-Received-a-phishing-e-mail-today

IT here double checked the email and it seems to have been a false-positive. They did note tho -

"[FONT=&quot]I would discourage anyone from using any UBISoft servers or domains for a while. The links still take you to UBISoft which has been infiltrated.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Remember that their main web servers are down, and the fact their their password change page is up is very suspect."[/FONT]

Sorry for any confusion.
    - Dev
    [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    That's where my confusion is. I actually happened to be doing my 'spam folder' spot check, looking for things that shouldn't be there (and found many from Yahoo's overzealous spam flagging). I saw the ubisoft email, and checked the usual details (email source, link location, etc), and it seemed legit. So, I followed the link, and submitted a change. Fortunately, I don't use the same password everywhere, so I should be good either way. But, I saw this post, and figured I should go to ubisoft's site, and make sure I have the correct password (and maybe change it again). Their site has a link, suggesting to reset my password. I chose that, again, just to be sure. I still haven't received an email to fix my password :/

I guess I'll give a few days to let the dust settle. I don't have anything vital at ubisoft's site, so I basically just want to get things corrected. It would be nice if ubisoft would get something officially resolved/posted though.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    crap i clicked the link cause i thought it was official and it was part of the official ubisoft website according to my browser and they had my username so that made it seem legit...
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ged wrote: »
    crap i clicked the link cause i thought it was official and it was part of the official ubisoft website according to my browser and they had my username so that made it seem legit...

this is the link I got [/]https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/[/] is that not a real website?
  • Calabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calabi polycounter lvl 12
    I got an email from this address.

email_ubi@email.ubi.com

I changed my password through the supplied http//secure.ubi.com, link. I cant see how that would be bad.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    It could be bad, because whoever managed to get into Ubisoft's system is likely still capable of operating within it.

Like the previous poster said - the fact that everything is doen except the password change page is very suspicious.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Shouldn't Ubi's natural link-back have atleast an HTTPS and not a standard HTTP?
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    So this is the start of the watch_dogs ARG right?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    That would be a dick move if it's a stunt to promote a video game.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »
    It could be bad, because whoever managed to get into Ubisoft's system is likely still capable of operating within it.

Like the previous poster said - the fact that everything is doen except the password change page is very suspicious.

They may not be able to decrypt the passwords so they're trying to get people to change their passwords so they can see them unhashed.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    frell wrote: »
    They may not be able to decrypt the passwords so they're trying to get people to change their passwords so they can see them unhashed.

the link it sent me to didnt ask for the old password - only a new one to replace the stolen one.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Ged, you're missing the point of how these work. They don't necessarily want everyone's Ubisoft account passwords. There are a small number of people who may use the same password for multiple services - in this case, if someone is to use the same password combination as they use with their e-mail address, (and a large number of people would really do this), they then have access to more interesting things, such as paypal accounts and everything accessible from the 'hub' e-mail address.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    ambershee wrote: »
    Ged, you're missing the point of how these work. They don't necessarily want everyone's Ubisoft account passwords. There are a small number of people who may use the same password for multiple services - in this case, if someone is to use the same password combination as they use with their e-mail address, (and a large number of people would really do this), they then have access to more interesting things, such as paypal accounts and everything accessible from the 'hub' e-mail address.

no i do understand that, the link I got just seemed very official and I still think its ligit so I dont think it could ever be phishing but this thread has made me suspicious. Frells idea that they wanted to see the passwords that they already have unhashed couldnt be the case as they only asked me for a new password(and that could be one I never use anywhere else).
  • Edward-Andrew
  • Malus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malus polycounter lvl 17
    So where should we go change our passwords then?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I requested to change my password, at ubi.com (ubisoft's site), and eventually received an email, that had the same link that I originally received. I'm actually beginning to think that the 'hack' wasn't really to phish for anything, but instead, maybe they found a way to trigger Ubisoft's 'password update' function, and triggered it for all users. So, the people violating the system, may not have actually accessed any of the database. Just triggered the 'update password' for everyone.