Home Technical Talk

Unable to make cuts in 3ds max 2010

Can anybody help me out here?

Whenever I use the cut tool (no matter if its on vertex, edge or polygon selection modes)
It wont cut where I want it to, it will just "snap" the tool to the nearest edge?
I am unable to cut where I need to cut..

..oh. and snaps are OFF.

Replies

• Fwap
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    The cut tool was upgraded a little in either 2012 or 2013.. maybe you can upgrade?
  • k@rt
    Offline / Send Message
    k@rt polycounter lvl 6
    I liked the way the most popular answer in the other thread seemed to be, "Max is weird and just does that from time to time, have to learn to live with it"!!... cos this happens for me now and again and that was exactly how I dealt with things.

Mostly it happens for me when the mesh is a little "non-uniform" but not exclusively - normally I do exactly what the others suggested, rotate camera, use 2d view, reset x-form, detach poly or use another tool... maybe it is worse in Max 2010 than I am used to, however.
  • Mark Dygert
    k@rt wrote: »
    I liked the way the most popular answer in the other thread seemed to be, "Max is weird and just does that from time to time, have to learn to live with it"!!... cos this happens for me now and again and that was exactly how I dealt with things.
    That answer came about because there was nothing a user could do other than complain, that is until 2012 rolled around and they finally worked on it.
    Mostly it happens for me when the mesh is a little "non-uniform" but not exclusively - normally I do exactly what the others suggested, rotate camera, use 2d view, reset x-form, detach poly or use another tool... maybe it is worse in Max 2010 than I am used to, however.
    The history of the object plays a big roll in how the cut tool behaved. Resetting the transform and scale (hierarchy tab of the command panel) help quite a bit not just with cut but with all kinds of tools and modifiers.

For example, if you scale the mesh on one axis in object space (not sub-object vert, edge, poly ect...) it will effect a lot of things. Right click the scale tool to see what the current scale of the object is. If it's squished or stretched on one axis then you should reset transform and scale. Resetting xform will do the same thing but will realign your pivot to the world pivot and you need to collapse the stack to bake in the changes. So instead, just reset transform and scale.

If you work at a really small scale, or have adjusted the units, cut could have trouble. In those cases, reset scale so it's 100, then scale it up to 4-5-1000 and then do you're cut and scale it back to 100.

But like I said I haven't had problems with cut in the last year or two but then we run the latest versions of max at work.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it's a lot less frustrating now, the occasional double verts notwithstanding.
  • tonyd927
    It happens on every model, every poly, every file. I could restart max, make a box and activate the cut to and it still does this.
  • tonyd927

bahahahaha true. I agree with this. -___-
  • tonyd927
    ok, Almost 3 weeks later and NO RESOLUTION. WTF?!?!?!?!?

also, dont say "oh it just happens"
    because Im sure there's a way around it.

I am using 3ds max 2014 student demo and I'm STILL having this f***ing cut issue.

NOTE: the are absolutely NO snaps on.
    so what am I supposed to do to cut some friggin geometry???
    Untitled-1_zps04b92283.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    1) I'm not so sure I like your attitude.
    2) What happens if you make your cut in reverse, start at the edge and work your way to the vert.
    3) What happens if you make a cut into the face of the poly and then cut into the edge, if it works you can remove the extra vert in the face.

There is some sort of snaps going on when cutting, it tries to keep from doubling up on verts by cutting right next to one. The cursor changes when you're over a vert or over an edge. If you have the edge cursor and you click and it snaps to a vert there is something going on with that mesh, probably due to a convoluted history that needs to be reset, or the scale in the scene is wonky. I can recreate that exact shape and cut it without problems.

Maybe if you posted the file other people could take a look at it?
  • tonyd927
    1) I'm not so sure I like your attitude.
    2) What happens if you make your cut in reverse, start at the edge and work your way to the vert.
    3) What happens if you make a cut into the face of the poly and then cut into the edge, if it works you can remove the extra vert in the face.

There is some sort of snaps going on when cutting, it tries to keep from doubling up on verts by cutting right next to one. The cursor changes when you're over a vert or over an edge. If you have the edge cursor and you click and it snaps to a vert there is something going on with that mesh, probably due to a convoluted history that needs to be reset, or the scale in the scene is wonky. I can recreate that exact shape and cut it without problems.

Maybe if you posted the file other people could take a look at it?

if I cut into the face (near where I want the cut) it will still snap to where I pointed out.
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Try this:
    Make a cut where is a blue line first then make a cut on yellow line.
  • Mark Dygert
    Since you can't make the file available, I recreated it, with the cut tool and had zero problems.

DerpCuts.gif

Max does have a feature where it creates one visible edge that will get redrawn, it happens when cutting ngons with complex hidden edges, it also happens during other operations like booleans. That one edge helps determine how the hidden edges flow. If you keep making cuts it will redraw that edge (as seen above) maybe that's what you're seeing?

If it really is snapping then maybe you might want to try turning some of the hidden edges in the ngon you are trying to cut, or like ivanzu said, make the vertical cut first. I tried my hardest to screw it up a few times and it never snapped to anything other than what I wanted and I'm using 2012, I'm not sure what to tell you other than its probably something with the history of the object or the scene scale.
  • WarrenM
    Post the file, or at least post a sample file that shows the problem.

Help people to help you.
  • Adam L. Gray
    Also, see if it happens still when using a orthogonal view rather than perspective.
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    Or, like, use any of the other methods to divide faces ;)
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    You should learn Maya. A lot more stable.
  • Mark Dygert
    s620ex1 wrote: »
    You should learn Maya. A lot more stable.
    I would hazard a guess that you're not a maya user, or only make spheres. Using any of the "interactive tools" is a good way crash Maya.

It has a lot of things going for it, but stability isn't one of them.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Internet Humor. Doesn't always stick. I've crashed Maya plenty of times ^^ I still think he'd appreciate the hell out of max after a week in Maya :)
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Haha.. and here I was proud of myself for not biting.
  • Mark Dygert
    <-Old man in red shirt "Oh... umm yea good game..."
    28aj7ee.jpg

Ha ha ha!
  • onizuka92
    Offline / Send Message
    onizuka92 polycounter lvl 9
    you could just weld it to the bottom then move it manually then cut back towards that line. you can also try to connect the upper left vertex with the bottom right, then try and cut through to your destination.
  • s6
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I like how he stares down the 8 while it creeps in last.
  • tonyd927
    thank you everyone, I actually just gave it a rest and came back to it later and it "fixed itself"

lol

If it happens again I'll just try restarting max and coming back later lol

And Im not a huge fan of Maya, just not my cup of tea. I've been using max for the past 2 years so Im pretty well used to it
  • Zain123
    Hi,

Plz help me friends, there, i'm having problem ith 3dmax's polygon cutting tool. at start it works fine. but when the polygons starts to build up the cut is'nt working like before. like when i click on an edge where i want start cutting it does'nt fall in where i clicked it but falls on the nearest vertex. i've selected all vertices and weld them on .001 just to make sure everythings welded but cutting tool still doesnt work right? is this a 3dsmax bug or what should be done? pls help tnx.
  • Mark Dygert
    One other thing I didn't think about earlier and forgot to mention until now is, what mode are you cutting in? I always cut in edge mode. A long time ago before they worked on the cut tool, I ran into too many problems when cutting in vert or poly mode and became conditioned to cutting in edge mode because it was the least likely to freak out and have problems.

So try making your cuts in edge mode and see if that makes a difference.