Home General Discussion

Rogue Legacy

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
ceebee polycounter lvl 14
My god this game is so addicting.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0DKxOEikTs"]Rogue Legacy Launch Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

To me it feels like a cartoony 8-bit dark souls mixed with megaman and castlevania. But it is probably one of the most addicting platformers I've ever played. You basically just keep on dying to progress through the game, but every time you go through the environment the levels are randomly generated.

They made one hell of a game and it's no wonder it's one of the most top selling ones on Steam right now.

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Playing it right now, awesome game, although I wish they had expanded more on the core features of the games (traits for example are most of the time just ingame jokes or cosmetic, very few have any true effects).

Also, no kidding when Ceebee said 8-bit Dark Souls, the very first boss room is very akin to the room of the Capra Demon and painfully difficult in that regard, and the last area's, even at over-leveled characters, can be a tad hard to get through.

Also, women can have beards in this game, so be warned mane lovers.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I saw this on Steam yesterday and my wallet was begging me for mercy.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    Brace yourselves when you reach new game +2
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not surprised this is a top seller. Definitely have got my money's worth. I've gone through about 200 heirs by now and I'm only like level 42. Meaning, I'm terrible at this game but it's still amazingly fun.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    The only thing holding me back is it's not on console. I need to hook my computer up to my TV.
  • ceebee
    Offline / Send Message
    Nah just plug in a 360 controller, works for me. If anybody is looking for a cheap USB gamepad, Gamestop sells their own brand of 360 controllers that are like under $20. I've used it for a ton of steam games so far, and most of the time they recognize that I'm using a 360 controller and all the UI changes. Any game on steam that has gamepad supported listed next to it supports pretty much any USB gamepad.

If you only have a PS3 controller then you can get a program that emulates it like a 360 controller which also works fine too. http://www.gamefront.com/how-to-use-a-ps3-controller-on-a-pc/
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    The game is perfectly playable on the Keyboard for those wondering, you might have issues with the 'dash' buttons, since I can't imagine how awkwardly you would have to position your hands in that case, but other then that, a pad is recommended by the Dev's even.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Both of you missed the point, I'd rather be on my couch :P
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Bought it tonight. Hot damn it's good. I tried quitting like 30 times but it's just not possible.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I played the demo, I'm kinda worried it will be too much like the game 10,000,000, were most of your progress is tied to upgrades.
  • Tekoppar
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    How is the grind in this game? I've heard that in the start there's barely any grind at all, but as you progress it just get worse and worse.
  • spiderDude
    Offline / Send Message
    spiderDude polycounter lvl 8
    I haven't grind in the game at all. I just play as I go, but the game really does challenge you after you played through once...and the difficulty increases again after a second playthrough. I'm afraid to see wait awaits me after this third playthrough XD.

Your progress isn't tied to upgrades, you can beat the game without it, its just very difficult, but not impossible.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    There is zero grind, the only reason (like me) you would want to grind is because you tend to bum rush certain parts of the game and die quickly, but if you take your time, especially with the Barbarian class, you shouldn't have any issues.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Doesn't feel grindy at all to me. I actually progressed a bit faster than I thought. I'm already level 30 and cleared out the castle in a few hours. I thought it would take me longer.

There's 4 sections in the game, each with higher level monsters. You could beat the game at level one but it'd be very, very difficult. The upgrades just make the game easier.

The better you are the faster you'll be able to beat it. It gets really fun when you get double jump and air dashing :)
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Went from level 1 to 30 in one sitting. I'd say I'm hooked. Can't wait to load it up again!
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Sadface, I played during lunch at work and it doesn't use Steam's cloud saves. Had to start from scratch.

If you wanna play from multiple locations make sure you save your data online or something!
  • marks
    Offline / Send Message
    marks greentooth
    Well I just lost most of my evening. :|
  • Geezus
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    Sadface, I played during lunch at work and it doesn't use Steam's cloud saves. Had to start from scratch.

If you wanna play from multiple locations make sure you save your data online or something!

Ah, boo! Good to know, thanks.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    When I beat the boss on NG+, the character I used was as big as
    The Fountain
    . Kind of funny. I had two traits that made him bigger each time :P

Spoiler image: http://i.imgur.com/X2S6l3Q.jpg
  • throttlekitty
    When you do New Game +, do you start over at level 1?
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    No, you keep your level, all your items, all runes, all level ups, everything.

The game gets way harder, enemies do way more damage and have way more HP. They also drop a lot more gold.

Enemies you encounter in later parts of the game also populate earlier areas of the game now too.
  • gavku
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    I'm loving this game.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's some of my thoughts with the classes:
    Dragon: I honestly don't like this class, it's odd that it's considered an "ultimate" class. The flying is klunky compared to how precise running/jumping/air dashing is. His damage output is also meh compared to the Hokage/Paladin/Assassin

Archmage: I think it's fun, but sometimes you get bad spells on rotation. You also spam spells more than you can get mana back, so I usually don't take him, but he's fun for early game.

Lich: Don't like him at all. His crow spell is nice for Fairy Chest challenges but that's it. He starts out weak, and if you're in NG+ or ++, you die too fast to get any benefit from his life gain.

Hokage: My favorite class. Tons of damage, fast running, decent HP. I play this class all the time I can.

Barb: Tons of HP, but has a huge hit to damage, almost as bad as the archmage with melee DPS. I don't care for him, but some people like it. I prefer the Hokage who is garaunteed to do 4x the damage per hit.

Paladin: I like him too, good HP, MP, spell dam, and melee dam. I choose him 2nd after Hokage.

Assassin: Once you get the Slayer gear and pump up the crit % talents, he's an awesome psycho. Early on he sucks, though, since you don't have those. Early on I never chose him, but in NG++ I like to play him with the correct gear and talents. He's my third pick.

Spelunker: Ok for early game, COMPLETELY USELESS in NG+ and ++. The gold increase is negligible.

Spellsword: Kind of fun, but sometimes you don't get good spells. I think you'll really have to focus on leveling magic and mana to benefit with this class.