Home Technical Talk

To explode or not to explode??

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Noth polycounter lvl 14
Hello! I need some help with normal baking. I'm working on a prop. I'm done my high res model and at the retopo stage. I'm wondering if I should create a single cage around the entire model. Or if I should exlode it in to a few pieces (like the high poly) and then crash them back together after the bakes are done. I think there are pros and cons to both?

Note: It will be able to open, so I've already planned for a top and bottom piece. Wondering if I should break it in to more though.

I'll post some images of what I have currently and hopefully someone has some advice as to which route to take. Thanks!

H9qvpRN.jpg
zOsQvJZ.jpg
g7nzcU4.jpg
NKmvo1n.jpg
3XQxvAE.jpg

So you can kind of see what I'm wondering. Hopefully Its clear from the images. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!

Replies

• ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    There's some things that are easier to keep at separate objects in order to save polygons, stuff like nuts or bolts, but that center piece doesn't seem like something you should float. Floating parts can waste more uv space, and can cause some lighting issues. Most times UV space > triangles saved.
  • Noth
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 14
    Great to know. I was kind of wondering if it was a case by case judgement call opposed a one or the other type scenario. I'll see what I can do with one solid cage. I like the look of it more anyways. If anyone else has inputz I'm all ears.

Thanks.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    if it needs to be able to open, the top and bottom are going to have to be separate elements on the LP, and will need to be exploded for baking because otherwise the inside will get blacked out on the AO and you'll probably bake some conflicting data near contact points.

generally if something has to move it does have to be exploded, otherwise, try to fuse as much of the LP together as is reasonable to avoid unnecessary exploding and wasted UV space. that piece you've highlighted in the last few shots should definitely be fused with the rest of the bottom on the LP, unless I'm misunderstanding something and it would have to animate.