Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Dipod

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Mossbros polycounter lvl 9
I started this yesterday as an experiment on using ZBrush as I personally don't have much experience within it.

8d52df829f814f7f387e5da50c861c82.png
948a4c2a88ef602673571319fbb7bde7.png

I was wondering on how I could mount the legs, I wan't a kind of ostrich feel to them but I found that thinking of a practical mechanical way of these legs being mounted quite difficult.
:poly127:

Some sketches. (bad ones be at that)
a41ed5d24740fac5219ea0916c5e161c.png
b10720a7931fdc70150368b7523fdc61.png

Anyone have any ideas ?

Replies

• Selaznog
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    I like the mechanical design of the legs but I gotta say the overall asthetic isn't that great. They look pointy and evil looking but the simplicity of the chassis and lens make it look neutral. Maybe rather than having such an intricate lower leg shape, go for something that is purely function.

I'm guessing this is for military use, right?

Have a look at some of the stuff Boston Dynamics is coming out with.
    http://www.bostondynamics.com/

2807466_orig.png

Nice start on the lens. Are you basing it off of a lens in real life?
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    I like the mechanical design of the legs but I gotta say the overall asthetic isn't that great. They look pointy and evil looking but the simplicity of the chassis and lens make it look neutral. Maybe rather than having such an intricate lower leg shape, go for something that is purely function.

I'm guessing this is for military use, right?

Have a look at some of the stuff Boston Dynamics is coming out with.
    http://www.bostondynamics.com/

2807466_orig.png

Nice start on the lens. Are you basing it off of a lens in real life?

Thanks for the tips, yea the lens is based upon a cannon lens which is pretty funny.

I remember seeing that Boston dynamic's robot a while back, reminds me of the MGS Rex lol. I will definitely try and make the legs more like that.

As for the mount, do you think I should get rid of the one I have now and make it look like some form of mechanical cage holding a motor of some sort?
  • Mossbros
    Offline / Send Message
    like this perhaps?
    5a715472520f91284b550aa35f4e19ea.png