Home General Discussion

Please get rid of the expanding Chevrolet ads

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
ZacD ngon master
If I accidently place my mouse over the ad it'll expand over the whole screen and play a video, I don't want to have to use ad block.

Replies

• HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    While we're talking about Chevy, I really think they need a new logo. They're desperately trying to appear hip and cool, but every one of their cars has that dated and ugly logo plastered on it.

Oh, and get rid of their ads! :D
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Lucky for me, I do not have them. I do have Ads for 3D rendering services, FurryBall and other things... sometimes I get ads from Rakuten based off what I bought.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I get a bar that charges up, "Expanding...." before doing the big video, it's not instant.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's still annoying, and if you have the mouse on top of the ad when you switch windows or tabs, it'll still open up. Ads like this is the only reason I have ad block installed.
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Im nice and unblocked polycount, i heard PC breaks even from the ads revenue so no complaints here!
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Ads are good to help PC keep live and strong... so I have no complains about them.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    The only ad I have any problems with is the fiverr ad for a service that lets people commission graphic design work for basically nothing. Who the fuck thinks $4 flat fee is a good wage for logo design? urgh.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Jr there is a difference between intrusive ads versus others. Anyhow Zac, I think you need screenshots as per another forum I'm on need such to track down the offending ad. Many times these types are breaking the category rules for their placement.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog polycounter lvl 8
    Can't you just turn off ads with a browser plugin? I've never seen an ad on Polycount before. I think I'm using Adblock Plus if you're interested.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The problem with using Adblock here is that over time this causes Polycount to suffer from lack of revenue, which leads to problems with hosting, less features, etc.

We would ask that you please add Polycount to your whitelist, so we can keep going strong. We think it's not that much to ask. You don't have to click on them or anything.

Zac, can you please send us some details about your system... pc, browser, geographic location, etc.? If you could send it to the Contact Us link that would be great.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    For me ads are almost invisible... just a bar usually with 3dmotive ad. Really guys turn off the adblock. Polycount has kids to feed!
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    Eric, how come you don't accept donations if the ads are really that important?
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Damn Eric you sweet-talker, disable my ad-block for polycount now :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty

Donations? Sounds good to me. I'll ask around. I know another forum that does this, and it works fairly well for keeping that site going. Maybe the ads are enough for PC.

If it was down to ads or donations, which would you guys prefer?
  • Tekoppar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tekoppar polycounter lvl 10
    I honestly think you should have both, keep the ads for people that don't donate and remove them from people who do. I hate ads because they simply make the webpage look awful and I would much rather donate 10$ every now and then, just to get rid of them. I've always wanted to support Polycount and I bet you many more have wanted to do that. With donations that could be done. While you give people something in return, no ads.

It's a win-win for everyone.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh I'll whitelist this site. I apologize; I didn't actually know that that is how ads work. I thought they still load on the page but are invisible...lol. I feel like an idiot now. Consider PC whitelisted!

Btw if there was like a 5$/month subscription to not have ads I'd sign up for that.

I was also thinking it would be cool if PC had it's own texture library where you guys could sell images.

Or how bout a charge to use sketchfab in posts? 50cents a post or something. That'd be cool.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
    I think people would stop using sketchfab here.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15

Both. PC should never be under risk of staying offline :)
  • Bibendum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Selaznog wrote: »
    Oh I'll whitelist this site. I apologize; I didn't actually know that that is how ads work. I thought they still load on the page but are invisible...lol. I feel like an idiot now. Consider PC whitelisted!

Btw if there was like a 5$/month subscription to not have ads I'd sign up for that.
    There's no way you can keep someone from just using an adblocker, which means the only reason to bother paying is out of guilt or desire to support the site so you could achieve the exact same thing with a paypal donation button without the painful need of implementing a system for payments and managing user specific advertisement display.

Then everybody who wants to support the site but doesn't want ads could just donate and use an adblocker to hide the advertisements.

Or how bout a charge to use sketchfab in posts? 50cents a post or something. That'd be cool.
    They'd probably just go back to using screenshots and just including a link to sketchfab.

Seriously, please don't go down the road of trying to monetize trivial site features...
    Do both. It's very hard to support a site on donations alone because only a small number of people are willing to donate and they usually do not do it often, if even more than once. And it gives the rest of the people the option of supporting the site via ad exposure.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Selaznog wrote: »

Lol no.

I have PC whitelisted in adblock, one of very few sites that makes the cut. But if i did start getting intrusive ads i would block them again, it's all well and good supporting a site until it becomes a nuisance.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    If you wanna donate, you can always buy some merchandise. At least, I imagine the revenue from those are used for upkeep, right?
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    I get the same Chevy pop ups. Annoying as fuck.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Zac, can you please send us some details about your system... pc, browser, geographic location, etc.? If you could send it to the Contact Us link that would be great.

fUdyNvr.png

Here's the ad, and the screen shot of what the video looks like after roll over.

Chrome, I get it on 2 separate workstations, at work and home, Ohio.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty

Donations? Sounds good to me. I'll ask around. I know another forum that does this, and it works fairly well for keeping that site going. Maybe the ads are enough for PC.

If I could donate X dollars a year (or whatever amount you make per active user) and have ads disabled for my account, I probably would.
  • Selaznog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD wrote: »
    fUdyNvr.png

Here's the ad, and the screen shot of what the video looks like after roll over.

Chrome, I get it on 2 separate workstations, at work and home, Ohio.

That's a sweet ad. I really don't see the problem here.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    Shot in the dark here.

Subscription / plus members? A well monitored subforum for paying members? etc etc?
  • wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Nah dont segregate the forum, man. Keep the ads (except the chey one) and allow for donations. But keep all the content free as it should be :)
  • alicia32
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While we're referring to Chevrolet, I really think they need a new logo. They're seriously trying to appear hip and awesome, but every one of their vehicles has that old and unpleasant logo applied on it.

online tutorial | study abroad program | distance learning courses
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We're not monetizing specific features, or gating access. Merchandise does benefit PC but it's only a %. Donation button sounds interesting. However it would be difficult to suspend ads for specific users, requiring a rework of the underlying systems, so that's not likely soon. We are looking into the offending ad tho. That thing's a PITA on my GoogleTV browser, so I see what you mean.
  • cheeseplus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheeseplus admin
    Just so I can clear some things up from our side:

tl;dr - We've already thought through most of the suggested ideas and plans are in motion. Chevy ad is bollocks and violates Terms of Service.

1. The expanding Chevy Ads violate Google AdSense's Terms of Service - I or rogue13 will be reporting them.

2. Donations sound great on the surface but they get problematic for a few reasons. We don't want some people feeling entitled and thus embittered. It's also hard unless we're setup as a business and then they aren't _really_ donations unless we are 501(c)(3) organizations. We can't really be one of those given the amount we may see from the Steam revenue sharing.

3. We've thought of tons of ways to monetize the site but it's always been a money issue to get the development to make these things possible. With the Steam revenue sharing that is changing but it's still just 3 dudes (rogue13, brome, and myself) driving the direction - not to mention our fantastic moderators. Progress is being made on this front but I'm not going to spoil it.

4. We're reluctant to pull ads even though we're getting money from other sources because that money isn't a guaranteed revenue stream. As a matter of perception it's awful to pull ads sitewide and then reintroduce them should our other sources of incomes fail. We'd love to believe the Steam stuff will make us tons of money and we'll have sick new features but we've only got about 6 months of trending which is to say no idea how this will play out. We've started allowing ad slots for purchase that are outside of Google's system - if we can line up enough of these in a year we could conceivably drop AdSense but that doesn't seem likely.

5. Part of this new development will ideally be offering some premium features - we need to get some technical stuff out of the way first, like dragging the site into the glorious responsively designed future, but this is on the docket. We're just not entirely sure of the specific of how it's all going to shake out. Some of the tech improvements will also help us with moderation as well.

6. While we love folks sporting Polycount gear, we don't make all that much off the store. Not to say ya'll shouldn't buy as much as you want but ads make us way more.

7. Most importantly we do really care, having already thought long and hard about most of the suggestions already. We want to do the best for our community but part of that is also keeping the site running which means having to have a reliable revenue stream. That is until we're filthy rich ;)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I have absolutely no problem supporting PC by unblocking y'all on teh adbl0cks, so AFAIC do stick with it.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    If you have Adblock, you can (IIRC) set rules and exceptions. So but Polycount to Unblock and then, set specific ads to block (like the Chevy ad).

I think you can also Right-Click > Block the Flash that is bothering you, if you get the Adblock extension Element Helper, or so.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Oh great, now another ad is doing the exact same thing. Project Imagination - Join the film contest today, Canon ad.