Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[Mixamo Contest] - KatArt - (Forest Stranger)

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
KatArt polycounter lvl 5
Hi all. Decided to take part in that contest to get some practice, so ill try to do all the hole process such complex as i can. ( Sculpt body under clothes , and etc, only for my own practice).

The idea of my hero is a basically forest stranger lurking in dark woods and swamps , he is pretty kind man , but no one knows how actually old he is and how much real he is ( or just a fairy tail in folk minds... But the purpose of that foggy person is to find strangiest and the most powerful artifact - the Voynich Manuscript.( missed pages of that book) Its a book about health , about curses , poisons and antidots, and with help of that missed pages he would probably have a powerful might to heal all the curses and diseases, to help people and animals... but at this moment he is just a stranger, alone , very cloth to nature and very hungry).

zf6i.jpg

Decided to make third concept.

Replies

• Alara
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alara polycounter lvl 8
    Interesting!) Good Luck!
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    Alara thank you!!

Little progress :

7h77.jpg

xu0u.jpg
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    Enough for today, learned a lot , funny day=)

3l43.jpg

More tweaking .... Shoes made from a wood timber and some kind of lianes..

d355.jpg

---

j9m1.jpg
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    Hope ill end sculpting tomorrow , still a lot oF i want to make. At this moment have no idea how to retopo a lot of elements and how to bake them, and the same situation with textures )
    Some shoulders , may be it is too agressive , but he is alone man , in wild nature , so that bones is his proud.
    otds.jpg

He is leaving in warm weather climat , so only T-shirt for his upper body.
    1x5c.jpg

His backpack is fool of herbalistic ingredients (More Mooshrooms tomorrow)
    ors0.jpg

Just view from behind
    --
    y0fb.jpg
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    For today ...

Done Highpoly , going to view lessons for retopo tonight)

Some wrinkles on shirts
    9z1q.jpg

Foot bandage
    hgjt.jpg

ozhf.jpg

Staff
    cp28.jpg

Books and Mushroom behind
    il9p.jpg

Complete Hight poly view
    --
    9fci.jpg
  • chudork
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    cool concept! i like the details of the bag and clothes :D
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    chudork thank you for kind words! )

Guys i have a problem ! ( Symmetry and Normalmap) that i cant solve due of time , tryed different ways of exporting -importing but cant understand what is the root of the problem. ( Model is symmetrical , and i'm baking 1 half low poly to 1 half hight poly and then mirror and weld lowpoly, all is perfect with my AO map (as diffuse ) and all is good with all other normalmap elements but this symmetry line...
    (I used Padding 8 pixels, and tested with 16 and 32 same results with seam)

g5ex.jpg

And Lowpoly with AO about 17.000 Tris
    eo2n.jpg

Still few things i want add but this problem ( i think its all know aspect of normal baking for all who ever baked something but not for me))
  • MonteCristo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can't mirror a normal that way because of the way the colour information simulates light. Red equals left -> right, and green = up -> down. So by flipping as is you are basically saying that light is travelling into a seam in the centre of the model, hence your result.

Anyway, on the flipped side only of your normal map, go into the red channel only and invert it. That should sort things for you.
  • Cerbiron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt wrote: »
    chudork thank you for kind words! )

Guys i have a problem ! ( Symmetry and Normalmap) that i cant solve due of time , tryed different ways of exporting -importing but cant understand what is the root of the problem. ( Model is symmetrical , and i'm baking 1 half low poly to 1 half hight poly and then mirror and weld lowpoly, all is perfect with my AO map (as diffuse ) and all is good with all other normalmap elements but this symmetry line...
    (I used Padding 8 pixels, and tested with 16 and 32 same results with seam)

g5ex.jpg

And Lowpoly with AO about 17.000 Tris
    eo2n.jpg

Still few things i want add but this problem ( i think its all know aspect of normal baking for all who ever baked something but not for me))

My character have a symmetry map too, but no problem about about the seam in AO map or Normal. (either it is, but not much to notice.)

Here's the few things when you want to use symmetry mesh and symmetry map on you model.

- You have to apply the symmetry modifier and weld it before baking. Make sure your symmetry seam is soft edge, not hard edge.
    - You have to shift other half of uvmap out to +1 or -1.
    - That's seam in uvw better be straight line. It's easier to be fix that If you get any problem when baked.

That's all I know

Sorry I don't have any testing picture, buy you have to test by yourself.
  • KatArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KatArt polycounter lvl 5
    MonteCristo thank you for information!!!i understood that i was fault thinking about normal seams, found more lessons about it. Now all fixed.
    Cerbiron thank you for advices, will catch them for later works

Texturing..
    qq23.jpg

Wire ---- 19 996 Tris ----

lcs1.jpg
  • Anais
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Such a cool idea. Glad you were able to fix the normal seaming issue. :)

Just a quick reminder that the deadline for your submission has been extended: you have until tonight (Monday July 8, 11:59:59 pm PST) to email us your entry.

If you have any issue with the Auto-Rigging or Animating, our awesome support team is here to help out so feel free to email support@mixamo.com and use the word "contest" in the subject of your email so that we get back to you before the end of the day.

Good luck!