Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Walther p22 - WIP

Working on this walther p22 silenced for a game. Wanted to get some critiques and also some advice for how to approach the low and retopo. I'll get some more wips up when I finish the magazine.

Most current:

YCzlEYl.jpg

Gebnq5u.jpg

5teIx0u.jpg

Replies

• DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Assuming this is for an FPS, you'll want to concentrate your efforts on the parts the player will focus upon - the sites, the slide, the hammer and (to a lesser extent) the safety.

The arm of the safety is a bit off - it should align exactly with the bottom of the cylinder.

The ridges on the hammer also seem off - they should cover little more than a quarter of the cylinder.

The trigger actually has a very deep groove at the rear, but I'm not certain it's worthwhile to model something the player is unlikely to see. Perhaps you can just rely on the texture/normal maps, or the probability that nobody has ever seen one in real life. ;)

When you get to texturing, notice the beaded texture on the body of the pistol (rather like the material on scope mounts.)
    walther_p22_left_1200px.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, ill try to apply those changes
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Cool to see another p22 :) Looking great so far. And good technical modeling, Especially on the saftey cutout on the slide. Having done this gun, I know that was a bitch :D Assuming you didn't use floats ;)

All my 2 cents for what they may be worth.

1. Edge consistency is a bit strange on this piece. The fore sight has rather tight edges, And being farther from the player it will be more prone to aliasing before parts like the hammer: Which at the moment is overly soft. It looks like a low poly with SG's on it right now. I can dig doing a different edge widths on different materials(plastic VS Metal) but even on the frame the edges appear a bit soft in places(the "Indents" where the fingers rest) and a bit tight in others (The rail). Not a huge deal, But consistency is always good to strive for.

2. Watch for that rivet type bit on the grip, That is just before the tang, when you go to bake. Racer warned me it would bake weird, But i didn't know how to fix it. So it baked wired. You modeled it differently than i did, So maybe that will fix it.

3. Forget about the safety. its impossible to model. Don't even have one. Always on PEW PEW PEW PEW

:D

Aside from that that, There are some minor pinches, and stuff like that. On the slide for example, where the has the "indent" to lock onto the slide release, It seems there are no control loops above it. Couple others but w/e. Pinches gonna pinch. most unimportant for baking.

Silencer could use some flavor. but that JMO. All this is really JMO. just nitpicking really :p

If for whatever reason, your interesting in seeing how i approached something, lemme know. I'm no pro, But i find it fascinating to see someone else do the same piece. So maybe your the same. :)

Good work man! Keep it up.

Edit: Would be cool to see a FPS view too. Thats all that really maters. To I'm curious what the back of the slide and frame look like.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the notes s620ex1. I actually used your model for reference because its the nicest model i've seen for the p22. This is by far the most complex gun i've modeled so it was pretty rough for me on certain parts. I'll go over it again and try to even out the edges.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah. It definitely had some tough bits. But you seemed to manage them well!

And thanks:poly136:
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick update. Still need to tweak a few things on the high and fix the bottom so that it looks like the magazine actually goes in, and also the rear sight looks off. The magazine also doesn't look right and I've been having a hard time getting some good examples of what it looks like. I've also seen some 3d models that all look a little different. I'm not going to spend much time on that though as it will probably not be seen that much in game. I'm probably going to use a few different tools to get the lowpoly the way I want it. All crits welcome and i'll get some more renders up later today.

7xNooVP.jpg

ZmbIaKa.jpg
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Love the edges and how it came out

The back ironsight looks odd to me. They look like a small version of a LMG sight because you first extruded it sideways and then towards top, but theyre coming straight out of the metal more or less which is usual for pistols.
    On the reference you can see that aswell, it looks different. I dont find the ironsights in FP that appealing right now, thats what made me wonder. Usually theres also little space between both in perspective, theyre often very blocky, people
    are expected to just look over them , not through them. Always be careful with ironsights, theyre maybe done fast and are small, but they are the heart of any FPS gun.

(AO for presentation ?)

what the hell was the designer thinking by making that grip for that gun, overall really crazy design, but cool and interesting

do people say cool in english ? I always feel stupid when I write it
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I think i just realized your plan for those "rivets" on the grip/frame, Do you anticipate baking those floating cylinders straight down to that curved surface? If so, You will have some major skewing, and likely end up baking the side of one those cylinders down to the LP. because the face angle of the LP at those points will be quite different than that of the floating rivets, The ray will also cast at a different angle. And lets set aside for a moment the skewed projection, The shading would be off as well because the floats edges wont match the angle of the spot your baking it down to.

If I'm unclear, here is how the projection would be for the bottom part of the grip. On that flat face. All the face will be facing one direction, and the cage will more or less and to push out that direction.

uWZ7iT.png
    kRY9es.png

My proposed solution would be :

A. Add those details via Ndo2. Stupid easy program to use, and really easy to get details like this.

B. Make those floats as shallow as possible, And deviate from the weapon design. Angle them to be more or less in line with the surface direction of the underlying grip.

...C? Depending on your budget, You could model these into the HP, And into the LP. Which, Would pretty much be a waste. But its possible and would create an accurate result, and no errors.

Would you mind posting an image of the FP view that is well lit and a bit brighter?

Gun is looking sharp overall. Some areas on the grip you have some obvious faceting due to control edges that are breaking a curve, But it won't be seen in game. So really your call on revisiting those. The bulk of the mag looks clean, but that very bottom part looks rather strange. The front most part, specifically.

And im gonna contradict myself a bit here, I said don't even try for the correct safety lever, But i would make something that is a bit closer. Right now it looks a little natural. Like it was just a planer thing, Then inset, then extruded.

@Shrike: Ye. people say cool, Quite often. Doesn't sound odd at all how you wrote it.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback. I've made a few changes to the sights and the magazine. I also realize now that a lot of the detail could have been done in ndo. I've also included some more first person screenshots.

JMtyGRP.jpg

c0yEhTt.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    and update is long overdue for this. Here is what I got so far.

PbLBvua.jpg

GEjkvX3.jpg

xVsF8kp.jpg
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miscoloration is coming off a bit strong so I'll probably go back in fix that.
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    Good start here. I think your biggest issue so far is defining the separate materials. Your metal appears very similar to the plastic, and both of them have more "bump" than they would in reality. It feels as if i reached out and touched it, it would feel rough. But in reality, it would be very smooth. Could be due to the noise being too strong in the spec, or diffuse, or both.

Gather LOTS of reference. It will be your best friend especially on a piece as tricky as this.

walther_p22_left_1200px.jpg

Notice how different the noise is between the plastic and metal? The plastic has a more powerful specular, has more contrast, and is overall more prominent. The metal has a lot of noise the same size, But some scattering of larger dark/light variation. I don't mean oil stain larger, but about .25 cm^3 sized spots, scattered around in a separate pass of noise.

Also notice how the grip scatters a lot more light, and has a a broad highlight, Vs the metals highlight.

It's also a bit dark right now. The weapon is one of those that are pretty much black in the diffuse, But you could lighten it up a bit, And possibly add stronger lights so you can see the model fully lit.

So my advice is mainly to: See. don't look at reference. See them, Study them, Dissect them. You're texturing will be a lot better if you understand how the material. Which is a hard skill to be. one I'm currently trying to kick start :)

Looking forward to seeing the progress.
  • sipher3325
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I went back and tweaked the materials a bit.

YCzlEYl.jpg