Home General Discussion

Manga studio 5, anyone else using/used this?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
its not even listed in the polycount software wiki of tools used for concepting but its really blown me away.

what I love most about it is the line stabilizing feature, I have the worst line control ever I swear, yet I can do clean lines.

its my go to sketch app now, only features it lacks seems to be cropping, which is a odd thing not to have, but otherwise I am loving it, ive also not looked into brush customization but have been happy with the out of the box stuff.

its easy as hell to use and really intuitive I think, works great with tablet too out of the box.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ETOEKIokNU"]Manga Studio 5 Product Tour - YouTube[/ame]

theres a promo video on it lol

Replies

• Jeremy Lindstrom
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I use it, and love it. I still use photoshop for most of my coloring, Gabe at Penny Arcade uses it for all the PA strips.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqRtjLzQuwE"]Gabe Art, Season 2, Episode 08 - Negotiations (8x) - YouTube[/ame]

I need to get back to drawing though.. I miss it.. I did this in Manga Studio 5..

katniss_large2.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    I've heard it's pretty much a more advanced paint tool sai, which is what i use.
  • Rhinokey
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i use manga for all my www.coffeeoutlaws.com stuff (starting with my 3rd strip
    and use it for any line work concepting. it has the best line work brushes i've seen
  • skankerzero
    MS5 is amazing.

If you haven't used the vector layers, then you should.
  • Baron Flame
    Offline / Send Message
    Baron Flame polycounter lvl 12
    I always was intrigued by MS and wanted to use it but I need to get good with a pencil and paper first before jumping on to a digital medium, but once I do, I am definitely going to give MS and sketchbook pro(for some reason) a go. :P
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome looking webcomic Tracy!

Still on v.4 EX. Just waiting to see what the upcoming v.5 EX upgrades are before switching.

Frenden ink/pencil brushes are reputed (at least on twitter) to be great for v.5

For folks who are into drawing but might be turned off by the brand name, there are lots of MS pro users who draw in non-manga style. Off the top of my head, Axe Cop (4 pgs. a day!), Battle Pug, Penny Arcade.

I recommend it for beginners too. Perspective only "clicked" for me when I experimented with the perspective tools.

e3b3c72e.jpg

d579f1ed.jpg
  • skankerzero
    MS 4 and below suck, especially after using MS5.

MS5 is a port of Clip Studio. Clip Studio is by the guys that made Sai.
  • ikken
    A note. Instead of MS5 I bought the original japanese version called 'Clip Paint Studio'. There´s translations available and the price tag is almost the same. The benefit for this version is the fastest updates you get using a non-localized software. MS5 doesn´t have the dark UI feature, per example.

I believe manga studio is supposed to have a "pro" version coming sometime this year - current one is a light/starting version, or something.

By the way, does clip paint studio lag as much as current release of manga studio?
    for me, it's sometimes crawling almost as bad as corel painter 11/12 on large files, which is surprising given it's 64 bit and (assumingly) multi-threaded as well.
  • ikken
    ^ thanks for the opengl hint... it's a viewport performance thing, brushes are always perfectly fast at all reasonable sizes
    I'll try to check it on a different set-up, maybe it's my low endish laptop radeon card not being enough (photoshop runs much faster on same document sizes though)
  • Michael Knubben
    I use it, and love it! I haven't done enough concepting recently to get much use out of it (And I think to use it at home I have to deactivate it at work, which is an enormous fucking pain), but I really want to get deeply into brush creation sometime soon.

I have the Frenden brushes, and they're not earth-shattering. Just kind of nice.
  • Michael Knubben
    If anyone's made their own, or found some nice ones: I'd love to see them. I've got a thread on here for collecting Photoshop brushes, might as well start sharing our MS stuff!
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    And this is where someone comes in and plugs Krita as another alternative.

=)

Seriously, try Krita. Probably has one of the best brush engines out there. http://krita.org/
  • Stromberg90
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    Dataday wrote: »

=)

Seriously, try Krita. Probably has one of the best brush engines out there. http://krita.org/

I am waiting for a update, I would love to use Krita from what I have tried and seen, it looks like a nice alternative to photoshop..

BUT... for me it's horribly unstable, crashes all the time, might not be a problem for others.
  • Michael Knubben
    Yeah, Krita's looking better and better (certainly with their proudly proclaimed focus on texture artists!), but last I tried it, it was rubbish on Windows. I checked recently, and the download still comes with a warning that the Windows version isn't really up to scratch.
    There have also been quite a few mentions of Krita on here already, I'd like it if this thread could just be about Manga Studio.
  • ikken

=)

how do I install gentoo on a macbook pro to use this
  • DerekLeBrun
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    Manga Studio 5 is on sale for 40% off for a limited time if anyone is interested.

http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5/
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Manga Studio 5 is on sale for 40% off for a limited time if anyone is interested.

Smith-Micro can only sell the box version. Factor in shipping with total cost.

It's a long story, but if you want the demo and downloadable (and version forward upgrade price), go to the Japanese developer site. They sell an English version too, but brands it as Clip Studio Paint (and they currently don't honor MS licenses from SmithMicro customers).

Buyer beware. Surface tablet users might be inconvenienced by lack of SM download version.
  • praetus
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I'm....a little confused by their pricing. It is cheaper to buy Manga Studio 5 and then upgrade to Ex 5 than to just buy Ex 5 from the get go. And that's not just with the sale, that is even true for the base price.
  • monster
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    MagicSugar wrote: »

I bought a copy of Manga Studio 5 from the Smith Micro site about 2 months ago. I only got a digital download copy, I didn't get a physical disc.

Huh..., I guess they changed their policy. I only see a physical option now.
  • Dataday
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    It has to do with Clip Studio, the original creators of the software, deciding to start selling localized versions in english. This means any future version probably wont be found under the Manga Studio name anymore. MS5 will probably be their last release as everything is going over to the original brand. Selling box copies pretty much lets them get rid of inventory.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    It has to do with Clip Studio, the original creators of the software, deciding to start selling localized versions in english. This means any future version probably wont be found under the Manga Studio name anymore. MS5 will probably be their last release as everything is going over to the original brand. Selling box copies pretty much lets them get rid of inventory.

Very interesting, its strange how they have differentiated these versions and sold under different names with different licenses, how hard could it be to do a translation in house.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    MagicSugar wrote: »

It's a long story, but if you want the demo and downloadable (and version forward upgrade price), go to the Japanese developer site. They sell an English version too, but brands it as Clip Studio Paint (and they currently don't honor MS licenses from SmithMicro customers).

Buyer beware. Surface tablet users might be inconvenienced by lack of SM download version.

Thanks for this info. I ended up returning my copy of manga studio and buying Clip Studio instead. Since Celsys pulled localization from smith micro, there won't be anyway to upgrade manga studio beyond it's current version. So it's probably a better idea to own Clip Studio.
  • plastikki
    I think that's the wise decision, Derek
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow what a random necro thread resurrection plastikki!, besides I am a krita fanboy now! lol.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Much better painting tool than Photoshop.