Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[CE3] WIP Pallet Town & Route 1 (Pokemon) WIP

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Scizz polycounter lvl 11
Still practicing some outdoor environments! Huge Pokemon fan, so I decided to create some more realistic renditions of the areas in the Pokemon games.

References:Pallet_Town_3D_by_Drew108.jpg
Route_1_3D_by_Drew108.jpg
References Created by Drew 108

Current Progress:
9s9b.png
c7.png
92kg.png
ceg2.png

I automatically applied grass vegetation to anywhere with the "grass" terrain texture. I would manually place grass, but whenever I do it leaves empty splotches on the ground instead of filling the area. I manually applied tall grass to the areas on route 1 where the grass is different.

It still looks a little flat to me so maybe with a little TOD adjustments and once I start adding meshes it'll start to fill up. I appreciate any criticism :D

Replies

• nathanbarrett
    Offline / Send Message
    nathanbarrett polycounter lvl 6
    This looks really interesting. What kind of style are you going for on the buildings?
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @nathanbarrett The style of buildings in the reference seem a little to simple for the realistic style I'm going for. So I'm going to try a stab at these.
    Pallet_Town_HGSS.png
    Same town, but from a later iteration of the series, so it's a little more complex. First time making a house so I'll do my best, shouldn't be to much different from what I'm used to though. :D
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    I'm so glad you're doing this. I really hope you see this through and really polish it. Good things will happen!

One suggestion, if you're going for a realistic look, I wouldn't follow the original layout as closely as you're doing. Use it as a base and try to imagine how things would be in reality, but have that small hint of the original layout there. This is just my personal preference though.
  • Sean VanGorder
    This is sweet, I love realistic versions of the Pokemon universe.

I agree with EvanL, I think the layout should bit more natural. Keep the general layout the same, but break up the straight lines and right angles.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    @EvanL & Sean VanGorder

Thanks guys! I added some flowers and more tall grass in the correct areas. I also added some rocks on the cliffs to make it pop more.
    vkmv.png
    Are the rocks an example of what you mean by making it more natural? :D
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    There's that: adding detail to break things up a bit. But I was also thinking about placement of assets. Normally you don't see tree's all lined up or ledges so straight and parallel in the real world. Think about where trees would grow and how ledges would form while keeping the hint of the original layout.

But like I said, it's up to you how realistic you want to take it. If you want to stay more true to the original concept that's your artistic license, but I think it'd be really interesting to see a more real world version of Pallet town.
  • Scizz
    Offline / Send Message
    Scizz polycounter lvl 11
    I just assumed the founders of pallet town planted the trees in a line around the area xD. I will adjust the rotation size and placement of them though, while still maintaining somewhat of a line structure. They couldn't of planted all those trees PERFECTLY straight.
  • Klash-120
    Offline / Send Message
    Klash-120 polycounter lvl 6
  • EvanL
    Offline / Send Message
    EvanL polycounter lvl 11
    Yup, that's up to you how to interpret it. I actually see it as a naturally occurring forest, cause if you think about it the outside of Viridian forest is the same. The tree are always lined up that way for gameplay and art style purposes.