Home General Discussion

Kinect for windows, anyone?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
Do any of my fellow Polycounters have any experience with Microsoft's Kinect for windows?

I'm researching the feasibility of using it for facial performance capture of voice actors in animation.

I've seen some successful results by others using just a regular video feed, as long as they have tracking marks placed and are using suitable tracking software (I'd be using Blender). So would there be any benefit in using a Kinect instead of regular video?

It's possible that we may go to full-body capture in future. I suspect the Kinect would come into it's own then?

I'd welcome any thoughts!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    for full body you`ll wanna use 2 kinects and ipisoft. Its a brilliant and easy program to use. used it at work before with 2 kinects. Just make sure they are set up at about 170 degrees from one another, 1 up high and 1 down low. It really helps capture everything and makes for smooth capture. Unfortunately, i have no knowledge of facial stuff.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks Stefan, I'll take a look at ipisoft. Good advice there about total coverage.