Home General Discussion

Art Test as modeler/texture artist

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Sqwark polycounter lvl 10
Hi everyone ,

A few days ago I have contacted with a company that develop asset's for games and i send my portfolio and resume and get response .
"WE SEEN YOUR WORK AND WE LIKE IT. ..NOW YOU ARE SHORTLISTED IN OUR CREATIVE TEAM AS MODELER AND TEXTURING ARTIST , BUT FIRST YOU HAVE TO GIVE A SMALL TEST FOR MODELING AND TEXTURING ......COZ WE ARE WORKING ON TIGHT DEADLINE "
I received a very precise and professional concept art and I was asked to test examines the capabilities, skills and the time for complete the model .
At the end of the Test I'm supposed to give the model and texture maps .
I was told that only at the end of the Test we can talk about money, transfer arrangement , etc.
I have a fear of what my model was used in their game and I do not get appropriate compensation for that.
I tried to contact the company about that and they said they are very professional and they do not use it.
They do not identify themselves by their first name and didn't gave me a link to their site which arouses my doubt .
It seems very suspicious and I've been working for 3 days and complete most of the model .
Is there a way to encode the file? Or guarantee in any way that they are not being ripped off?
Can i show it on my own portfolio after that ?
Would love to hear opinions if anyone encountered a similar problem or situation and can enlighten the all thing for me

Thank you,

Replies

• AXiao
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you have not signed a release before you took the test, then i dont think they could use your work and not credit you.

but it's not uncommon to have a company ask you to send in models and textures for an art test.

hope it's legitimate, good luck!
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    That sounds way too suspicious to me. All those things you mentioned seem like big red flags. I wouldn't give them any of my files. And until they could provide you with information on their company and the position at which you're taking the test for, I wouldnt even take the test.
  • Polynaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynaut polycounter lvl 7
    Give out your company info is the first thing you do when you are looking to hiring someone that is taking an art test. You want to make sure the potential employee knows your work, your style and atmosphere. You are hiring more than just an artist, you are hiring someone that you will working with for a long time.

If they can't give out their website, company name, location or anything like that.. they are not legit. I would send the images to the company, but not the model or textures until they can tell you a bit more about themselves, but that's just me.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    if they used all caps in an email its a nope from me.
  • Meteora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meteora polycounter lvl 8
    "Coz"? Did they seriously say that in the email? No adequate information? Not even a website link? What the hell is their company name anyway? This sounds suspicious to me.
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    I would just drop whatever you're doing for them right now and just cut off communication with them. The fact that they have to confirm they're a legit company immediately smells fishy.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    It honestly sounds like some outsourcing freelancer trying to scam you with the way you've typed it out. If that is a direct quote from the e-mail, in all caps and bad grammar....yeah. Sounds pretty fishy to me.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I think the 1st thing to look at is the url of the email address. if its a Hotmail or gmail email address, chances are its some 15 year old in his moms basement trying to make his own game and being a slimy little fuck to get free art.

seems suspicious, would probably present them with a bag of dicks to put in their mouth and draw upon succulently with their mouths.
  • Sqwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the quick comments and responses , i really appreciate that guys !
    I found that company via Linkedin on some group related to games and they call themselves Dream Creator , I see that they are from India ( i don't like the idea if you ask me )
    At the end they will say we can pay 100$ for model with medium complexity if all my suspicious is wrong , i hope I'm wrong of course !
    I talked with them on Skype .
    I Google them and found this website http://dreamcreators.in/ which not have any 3D artwork but i found on Facebook this https://www.facebook.com/dreamcreator.vfx?hc_location=stream
    which looks much more likely , found only one creature there which looks really good ! but only one character work ! i think with all those materials that i found i can trust them somehow
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    sounds pretty sketchy dude
  • SonicBlue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SonicBlue polycounter lvl 10
    Sqwark wrote: »
    thanks for the quick comments and responses , i really appreciate that guys !
    I found that company via Linkedin on some group related to games and they call themselves Dream Creator , I see that they are from India ( i don't like the idea if you ask me )
    At the end they will say we can pay 100$ for model with medium complexity if all my suspicious is wrong , i hope I'm wrong of course !
    I talked with them on Skype .
    I Google them and found this website http://dreamcreators.in/ which not have any 3D artwork but i found on Facebook this https://www.facebook.com/dreamcreator.vfx?hc_location=stream
    which looks much more likely , found only one creature there which looks really good ! but only one character work ! i think with all those materials that i found i can trust them somehow

The facebook account you linked is not the same DreaCreators of the other link, they used some Andraoid camera icon as their account picture, this is the actual facebook page:https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dream-Creators-The-Design-Studio/156425427789700, but I don't think its the same people who contacted you.

If they wrote that email with "COZ" you have to run away from them, also, as they didn't even gave you information about who they are, how did you think that's something legit?
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Not worth the time you'll put into it. Walk away and don't glare back.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    On the plus side, you just made a cool model for youself. Post it here for criteque.

But yeah, double on what everyone said. Fake names? Not telling you there company? They some spy agency? Would drop it altogether.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Also, the fact that they are in a different country than you means if they fuck you, you don't really have much of any legal recourse.
  • Sqwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sonicblue - i know those website are different owner i just Google and share with you my thought , those website looks like this guy is probably the guy I'm talking to in the Skype .

skybones - i think you right but after almost finish the all work i will give him the model .
    i hate when i start a project and never had the chance to finish it .

whatstrue - hahaha that's right ! it is a great practice and i will share it here when it's completed , i guess in a couple of hours .
    if i didn't sign on NDA it's mean i can share the model here ? can he sue me or accuse me about something if i share it ?
    i didn't say fake names, i ask him for his name and he never answer or introduce himself like usually client do .
  • Sqwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus - that's right ! so in a matter of fact that's a big risk ... i knew it from the beginning !
    Somehow all the customers spoke to them recently had slipped from my grasp and I became desperate to find a job which lead me to this guy ...
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    The fact that the facebook page isn't even a business page, but rather a personal page is also very unprofessional. If there is no easily available information on a company, I'd steer clear of them...

Any company that is for real, would want to be found, if they can't be found, they can't do business.
  • TheWildHunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Always be wary of people who jump around your questions.

I was contacted a few months ago by an "indie company" to create seven or eight characters. The person I was speaking with was from Saudi Arabia, and I suspect he was using a translator. Regardless, they came to me after another PC member had turned down the job, and I was ran around for days (ie, wont discuss payment until I provide them with a model, wont provide me with concept art till I agree to work for them, etc) it was funded by a very well spoken Danish fellow, but he didnt seem to be in control of the situation, often leaving the conversation to let the arabian fellow, "deal" with negotiations.

Needless to say, it was turned down. If I had as much trouble getting payed as I did negotiating pay, I think I wouldve broken something.
  • Sqwark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaptainkernals - you are absolutely right ! i agree with you

TheWildHunt - thanks for the information dude ! sometimes it's really sucks to work with people as you mention , we should be cautious in those situations .

here is the model i did for this guy , early stages of the blocking of the proportions
    i took a few days of vacations and now i working on the high poly model and textures

aui0.jpg

aui0.jpg
  • DanBe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tywin Lannister: Any man who must say, I am the king, is no true king.

Nuff said...
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Hope you get paid and your shit doesn't get stolen. I would have just reported the email as spam.
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Good luck man! Hopefully it's all legit.