Home General Discussion

Don't update your PS3?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
From Kotaku: "We've started getting reports from some readers that the update is bricking their system, locking their consoles on the boot-up "ribbon" screen, and a thread on Sony's official forums shows the issue is far from isolated."

http://kotaku.com/dont-update-your-ps3-today-514213464?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

..and on PS3 support forums:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-3-Support/Problem-after-update-to-4-45/td-p/40712247

Quoted comment on the Kotaku page: "I feel I should point out that according to the linked thread, this seems to mostly be on PS3's that have upgraded HDDs. One person even specified that Sony support told them it was effecting PS3's with upgraded hard drives. So that's an important point; a lot of people will also be just fine updating"

Replies

• Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Are Sony offering refunds for fucking up peoples systems?

I never understood what happens at this point since the blame lies with Sony right./?
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Really? last nights? i updated it... then it gave me an error that i lost connection.... and then when i tried to update again it told me i had the right update at the end. So i dunno whats up. This morning i booted it up again and played like an hr of Last of Us, so no issues on mine.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh suck, I upgraded last night, then went to sleep. Hope mine isnt messed up, just got it
    :(

I didn't upgrade the hard drive though
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    seems to be affecting people with default theme (if you have a dynamic theme it probably won't affect you).

also, this is why "always online" isn't such a fantastic idea :P
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really? i have a custom picture on the backdrop... but mine still works.. it 3was weird tho... i should check it its the latest update on the version number. But mine works fine.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    seems to be affecting people with default theme (if you have a dynamic theme it probably won't affect you).

also, this is why "always online" isn't such a fantastic idea :P

no it isn't. Unless I'm mistaken this is one of the constant "you can't go online unless you download this mandatory update that can't run in the background" that plagues the PS3. I pretty much only use my PS3 to watch netflix & amazon movies - how dare those services require me to be online to use them!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    with an always online system, the end user cannot control how/when updates are applied to their machine. so at the moment anyone who updates their ps3 manually will not update and they'll be fine. those who update automatically (the same way the xbone will, and the 360 already does in the background) have been affected by this.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    with an always online system, the end user cannot control how/when updates are applied to their machine. so at the moment anyone who updates their ps3 manually will not update and they'll be fine. those who update automatically (the same way the xbone will, and the 360 already does in the background) have been affected by this.

My computer is always online, but Windows let's me decide on when to download the updates and decide on which ones I want to install. I actually disabled auto-update entirely and update when I feel like it. Surely Sony could incorporate that? With how often updates cripple electronics, I would like to think Sony is smart enough to allow the user to pick and choose.

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw the Xbone comment, is that true? I figured after the number of minor Windows updates that broke some sort of functionality, they'd realize updates aren't always good haha.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, you might as well tell me not to use my PS3, when it's on, it's online. If it's not online I've lost a large portion of it's functionality.

I'd say this shows the need for a failsafe system similar to how some PC Motherboards have dual BIOS chips so they can recover from a failed firmware update.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    leleuxart wrote: »
    My computer is always online, but Windows let's me decide on when to download the updates and decide on which ones I want to install. I actually disabled auto-update entirely and update when I feel like it. Surely Sony could incorporate that? With how often updates cripple electronics, I would like to think Sony is smart enough to allow the user to pick and choose.

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw the Xbone comment, is that true? I figured after the number of minor Windows updates that broke some sort of functionality, they'd realize updates aren't always good haha.

there are quite a lot of false positives on microsofts windows authenticator server causing peoples computers to not work for longer than 15 minutes at a time before shutting down because the authentication server believes their license to be bad after an update.

while i can't say that windows automatic updates have been a bad experience for me personally, i do know people who've had horrible issues with stuff not working after an update and having to format or roll back to fix it.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Windows update once knocked out my sound card by installing the wrong driver, but that was easy to fix for myself. I usually have windows update disabled though.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should do this disable updates... its so annoying to see my pc restarted when i didn't tell it to.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    argh, turn your computer off at night! Even if you don't care about the environment that's some extra money you can pocket off of your electric bill.
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    who says i don't turn it off?i always turn it off. its just during the day, when your pc decides to restart.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    glottis8 wrote: »
    I should do this disable updates... its so annoying to see my pc restarted when i didn't tell it to.

First thing I do with a fresh install / new computer is set windows update to grab but don't install updates, sometimes even less than that. It initially complains about it being set that way but only once or twice.

As for the updating the PS3.. something like this happening doesn't totally surprise me, even years ago when I was QA'ing on PSP dev, Sony would push out updates without properly testing and often not even telling the devs about the update in advance... at least if you weren't a first party or Japanese dev.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I'd say this shows the need for a failsafe system similar to how some PC Motherboards have dual BIOS chips so they can recover from a failed firmware update.

You mean like this?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei wrote: »

So is Sony charging $100 to do something the owner can perform themselves? laaaaammmmme! Sony bricked my PS3 and wants 100 to fix it

(I mean, you can fix a red ringed 360 yourself but it's significantly more involved)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I don't know myself if it actually works as I never updated to that defective firmware.
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    updated tonight w/ no issues *shrug*
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter

Oh man ... THAT thing ... That's probably the most infuriating windows feature ever. By default it is set to reboot around 3am or so, and even tho there is a popup warning, clicking "cancel" doesn't cancel the reboot but just pushes it back a little. And of course, the popup doesn't show up if you are working in PS in full screen. Resulting in the computer shutting itself down without much warning.

This thing seriously made me consider switching to a mac workstation for good (the update process on OSX is about a hundred times smoother and more user friendly than on windows.) The fact that some engineers somewhere thought that rebooting a computer to install updates could ever be more important than the work (or the safety) of the user really baffles me. And no, no update should ever be required to be installed right away - after all, OS updates are fixing bugs that went unnoticed for years, therefore one more day cannot hurt.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. There is definitely a way to totally turn off that behavior, but I am afraid I forgot how to do so. A little bit of googling should bring it up tho.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Oh man ... THAT thing ... That's probably the most infuriating windows feature ever. By default it is set to reboot around 3am or so, and even tho there is a popup warning, clicking "cancel" doesn't cancel the reboot but just pushes it back a little. And of course, the popup doesn't show up if you are working in PS in full screen. Resulting in the computer shutting itself down without much warning.

This thing seriously made me consider switching to a mac workstation for good (the update process on OSX is about a hundred times smoother and more user friendly than on windows.) The fact that some engineers somewhere thought that rebooting a computer to install updates could ever be more important than the work (or the safety) of the user really baffles me. And no, no update should ever be required to be installed right away - after all, OS updates are fixing bugs that went unnoticed for years, therefore one more day cannot hurt.

Anyways, sorry for the rant. There is definitely a way to totally turn off that behavior, but I am afraid I forgot how to do so. A little bit of googling should bring it up tho.

You are gonna hate me for saying this, but Windows 8 will only put it on your reboot menu. As in it wont auto reboot right away when it installs an update. It either waits a few days, or if you go into your boot menu, it shows an update and restart option.

Say what you will about 8, but that is an improvement.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah it sure is :D Makes me wonder why they dont roll that out into 7 by default too ... Oh well ...
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    I was glad I read this before turning on my PS3. Then realized I am in leagues with the mighty Playstation Cloud and it does it automatically for me. LUCKILY my PS3 is fine and I was able to play Capcom's Dungeons & Dragons. (it's so good)