Home Technical Talk

Maya Duplicate UVs. Combine? Layer?

So I'm working on a scope model, an Eotech, and am unwrapping and sewing edges together.
I see this here

http://i41.tinypic.com/1gohoi.png

Two pieces, identical. What can I do to combine or layer or merge them together so when texture time comes I don't have to put in double the work? You know? Like The left side will be textured the same as the left and I only have one UV to texture to accomplish this. Is this possible and if so how?

I have many other identical pieces from the unwrap so this would be helpful trick to know I think.

Thank you

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Flip one of the shells and stack on top by moving the pivot to the corner and snapping using v
  • m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    What haidasalami said, but remember to go into the UV translate tool settings, and turn on "retain component spacing" else all the UVs will snap together.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I will try the overlapping. Does it need to be perfect line up? I have a nearly a 1:1 ratio of duplicate parts since every object has two sides......

Does that make sense?
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    If you delete half of the model and mirror it again the UV shells will be stacked/flipped exactly on top of each other. However, you might have to split the UVS along the middle edge and offset the shell +/- 1 in any direction in order for your normals to work properly.
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't get how seams actually show up. Can you explain this to me?
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moving forward... uv snapshot issues. If I can get some help that'd be awesome. Project is moving along pretty good
    x4g8x1.png
  • olivierth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olivierth polycounter lvl 9
    Some game engine don't like when UVs are stacked. You can move the duplicate UVs to exactly +/- 1 to offset it like zakhar2 said.

The fact that the pattern gets bigger and bigger in the viewport is perfectly normal. The only important thing about the checker is that it's the same size on the whole gun and that you still have squares not rectangles. Of course, if the gun was made to only be seen in first person view, there would need to be more texture definition near the camera.

If you simply scale the UVs there shouldn't be more distortions than before. Maybe you mean it gets more blurry? If so, it's perfectly normal.
  • zakhar2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zakhar2 polycounter lvl 6
    The only reason the checker map is getting bigger is because when you scale down your UVs the texture is stretched across less area and the blurring is probs caused by whatever texture filtering you have set in the viewport. All you have to do to fix this is make the checker map tile more. The settings for that should be under the "place 2D texture" node for the checker map.

Also put your UVs into the 0-1 space or else your actual texture is gonna end up trying to tile weirdly across your mesh.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    Viewing the default checker pattern in High Quality mode will make it nice and crisp again. If you still have checkers stretching, it's because your UV shells are the wrong shape for its respective polygon.