Home Unreal Engine

Matching Maya and UDK cameras to avoid perspective distortion

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
Hello,

Would anyone know how to match the camera settings for Maya and UDK, so when working from one to the other, perspective distortion will stay consistent? I was thinking if I knew the camera values for the default udk camera, I could plug them into the maya camera. Is this possible?

Maya camera has inputs for angle of view, focal length, and camera aperture and I'm guessing I would have to change one or all of these values to match UDK's. Thanks for any help or insight on this matter.

Replies

• haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Just change your Angle of view to match whatever your fov in udk is.
  • Subtle 1rony
    Offline / Send Message
    Subtle 1rony polycounter lvl 10
    Oh cool, sounds like this might be a simple solution. How would find the FOV value for the default camera in UDK?
  • Obscura
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    You can type it to the console. fov "angle".
  • Hourences
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    That only goes in-game.

In the editor, UDKEngine.ini carries [UnrealEd.EditorEngine] - FOVAngle=90.000000

However that has been in there for many many years and may not work anymore. If that doesn't do it, numpad 1 and 3 do this as well but it will just reset when you let go.
  • Harbinger
    Offline / Send Message
    Harbinger polycounter lvl 8
    I'm doing the exact same thing right now actually, so that I can build my scene to match some concept art 1-to-1. I would recommend creating a new camera actor. You can change the FOV on the actor, keyframe it in Kismet, and lock the movement or keyframe the movement in Kismet so it doesn't move anywhere. It seems to work pretty good and I have both cameras matching with the scene between Maya and UDK.

I just wish there was a way to change one of the viewport panels in UDK to a different camera instead of the default Persp/Front/Top/Side.
  • Danface
    Offline / Send Message
    Danface polycounter lvl 7
    Harbinger wrote: »
    I'm doing the exact same thing right now actually, so that I can build my scene to match some concept art 1-to-1. I would recommend creating a new camera actor. You can change the FOV on the actor, keyframe it in Kismet, and lock the movement or keyframe the movement in Kismet so it doesn't move anywhere. It seems to work pretty good and I have both cameras matching with the scene between Maya and UDK.

I just wish there was a way to change one of the viewport panels in UDK to a different camera instead of the default Persp/Front/Top/Side.

I've been doing just what you have Harbinger
    with creating something from reference and my perspective was completely different from maya to udk but I just recreated it. What you said about being able to have two different perspectives, I found a way for you to do that. You create another camera and then you click the eye icon at the top, just under the green glowing black K icon. This lets you see through the object and so I've just been using that. However, as I'm still new to udk, I havent been able to lock down my camera, so I just never touch it once its been placed correctly.

I hope this helps :)
  • Clark Coots
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    Does anyone know if its possible to do a tilt shift with the camera to correct distortion of converging vertical lines? I have a tight interiors space and a high FOV right now and it feels very distorted, I'd like to minimize that if possible. I just am going to do some still images of the environment

example of what i'm looking for in Modo: http://community.thefoundry.co.uk/tv/training/view.aspx?id=152
  • Endfinity Jon
    Offline / Send Message
    Endfinity Jon polycounter lvl 8
    This is an interesting topic for sure.

I wonder if there's a conversion trick that we don't know about. Of course, as others have said, adjust the FOV in Unreal to match.

But...How do we know what FOV is correct? Eyeballing seems to be about as close to it as you can get. In Maya, once you select your camera, the default FOV is actually called "Focal Length" and it starts at 35. Going higher gives you a tighter, telephoto look, while going lower gives you a fisheye or wide-angled lens look. In UDK, these numbers are reversed, where 90 FOV is default (I think) and going lower makes the shot appear tighter.

I guess I'm curious what Maya's default 35 Focal Length translates to in Unreal's FOV?
  • LMP
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    This is an interesting topic for sure.

I wonder if there's a conversion trick that we don't know about. Of course, as others have said, adjust the FOV in Unreal to match.

But...How do we know what FOV is correct? Eyeballing seems to be about as close to it as you can get. In Maya, once you select your camera, the default FOV is actually called "Focal Length" and it starts at 35. Going higher gives you a tighter, telephoto look, while going lower gives you a fisheye or wide-angled lens look. In UDK, these numbers are reversed, where 90 FOV is default (I think) and going lower makes the shot appear tighter.

I guess I'm curious what Maya's default 35 Focal Length translates to in Unreal's FOV?

Well, in Max, a camera with an FOV of 90 has a focal length of 18mm, and a focal length of 35mm has an FOV of 54.432