Home General Discussion

Sketchfab portfolio

Boozebeard
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
I was wondering what you guys thought of using sketchfab for a portfolio? It uses html 5 so no plugins required.

https://sketchfab.com/portfolio/tour/sample

Replies

• Lloydyy89
    I think it's pretty neat, and the portfolio is presented nicely. I managed to get free access because students from my uni asked to be a part of their student program they have going with schools and colleges.

One thing I would like to see is the ability to upload images/video links onto the portfolio. I have created some environments in UDK and CryEngine so I'd also like to display them somewhere within the portfolio.

I suppose if you're into characters or want to show off individual assets, I think it's a unique way to showw off your models.
  • Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    Chrome / FF only it seems. Couldn't get it to run on Opera, Safari and IE since they don't do WebGL by default. It doesn't even display static images. Unless they know that they're supposed to use Chrome/FF then some people might dismiss your folio right away - i.e. same issue Flash folios have ("What? I have to install XY to make it work?"). It's also a tad slow = and no progress bar - did it crash? still loading? maybe I'll just skip this piece and move to the next? (that's not really what you want that happens if somebody reviews your folio!)

If you really want WebGL then have it as an extra, in addition to your regular folio images.
  • Boozebeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Boozebeard polycounter lvl 11
    Ah ok. I'll probably just embed them as part of a regular site instead then. Thanks.
  • Lloydyy89
    Kwramm wrote: »
    Chrome / FF only it seems. Couldn't get it to run on Opera, Safari and IE since they don't do WebGL by default. It doesn't even display static images. Unless they know that they're supposed to use Chrome/FF then some people might dismiss your folio right away - i.e. same issue Flash folios have ("What? I have to install XY to make it work?"). It's also a tad slow = and no progress bar - did it crash? still loading? maybe I'll just skip this piece and move to the next? (that's not really what you want that happens if somebody reviews your folio!)

If you really want WebGL then have it as an extra, in addition to your regular folio images.

I think you've got a very good point Kwramm. I think Miklas' portfolio is a great example of using both images and embeds: http://karolmiklas.com/