Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Student portfolio critique, dum-dum-DUM!!

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
So this day has finally come. I can't say I am fully prepared for this but at the start of summer I will starting looking for internship and I need to know of my portfolio contains any breaking points.

I would appreciate any critic or comments on: presentation, models, texture, resume, UI and everything else.

So heres my baby: http://www.cnordgren.com/

Replies

• Wingednosering
    The link doesn't seem to be working.
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    Hi Christian,

Here's a list of observations based on a first impression I've had whilst viewing your portfolio. I can reply again later with more specific feedback per asset.

Layout

- The site is simple and clear with the work front and centre. Overall it was easy and quick to navigate.

2d art

- Other than the animated pixel art ( which is cool btw ) I'd be inclined to remove the traditional art sketches as they are not your strongest piece and the equivalent of showing a blockout mesh. The promotional art is fine. When you have finished 2d art I'd consider adding it back in.

3d art

Some good work here, a nice mix of hard surface and some natural. Not much in the way or architectural elements such as buildings though.

I was surprised to see in the breakdowns that the normal map for the gunwalker had none of the rust, wear or damage in it ? Just the rivets and seams.

There are many nice assets in there with good breakdowns. Other than some specific art feedback regarding the scenes and assets you have a good folio to start job hunting with.
  • Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    I was hoping to see a sexy high poly version of Han's blaster, where is it?
  • DireWolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - Nice and clean.

- The site's header is a bit too large and taking up too much space.

- Your pieces look pretty solid.

- Terrible font choice for the Cavern of Hapsomething logo. Looks real ugly and downgrade your piece a ton.

- Probably won't happen to a whole lot of people, but some more tech savy people will have cross-site script disabled by default. In my case, wix was blocked which left me with a blank page initally until I deliberately unblock it. Stay away from Wix if you can.
  • chazzur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a student folio site I think it looks really strong. I like the addition of the 2d section but think it might be a little too much stuff. Unless your primary goal is to get a job as a 2d artist I would take some of it out. Leave the best parts to illustrate your ability though.
  • KillerAnt360
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    738 tris on a zippo lighter seems way too much for me, especially when you set it next to a DS at 44 triangles. Highlight the efficient stuff and cut out the rest. The colour variations in those backpacks are really easy to do and don't show off your skills in texture creation so I would cut that too.

That walker's first beauty shot isn't as easy to read as the one underneath it. You don't need 5 shots, so cut that top one and another angle

Give your gun glass definition on the scope as it's just white.

Make your name and links closer to the top, as half a page before I start looking at your work is wasteful.

Overall, good portfolio. Hope that helped.
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, this is good quality work. I wish I could have you on my team. Just in case you might be interested, you can check us out here: http://www.indiedb.com/games/wake-up-call.

Oh, and you can contact us if you are interested at: careers@leatharianstudios.com. Just say that you are the 3D Artist from Polycount.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wingednosering: Well now it does! :D

Nathdevlin:
    Layout - Good!
    2D - Yes, I agree, I should make some new 2D art thats displays more of a finished product
    3D - Good thing you pointed that out! My next project will be architectural and some more vegetation

Thank you for your answer, I will send it too some companies with coverletters and etc and then starting refining the missing parts

Direwolf:
    - Too bad you didn't like the logo
    - I won't be able to code my website by myself because it will to much time consuming. I think many talent coordinator are aware that a lot of artists use wix so they will have it opened. Because it works for all browsers and even phone, but if I was more experienced in website making I would have worked on it more

chazzur: Thank you! My primary goal is not to become a 2D artist but I will take away the weaker pieces and make better ones, thanks for the insight!

KillerAnt360: I understand with the comparssion about the lighter and the nintendo ds, the lighter was made for the fpsplayer while the nintendo DS was just a prop, as soon as I would get a better asset those are the ones that will go out. I guess its a good idea to cut the backpack thing with the colors. I agree with the name taking to much space, I will fix it, thanks mate!

Fragfest2012: Thanks! But unfortunately I won't be able to work because I have another project coming up and searching for internship, I am glad you considered me working on your project! It did look interesting =)
  • fragfest2012
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, worth a shot. We could always be that internship... :p
  • Pope Adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pope Adam polycounter lvl 11
    Jungle sanctum scene - There's some pretty serious scale issues on this one. I assume, in the context of a video game looking through a first person camera that the hallway the player/viewer would be walking down is roughly 3 meters tall.

So, looking in to the room, the head is the same height as the walls, approx 3 meters.

All of the props look comically over-sized.

The candles on the ground are about 3 feet tall or more. I would recommend scaling them down about 50% and either placing a few more of them around the head or just clustering them closer together around it. It'll help make the head feel larger and give the room a sense of proper scale.

Also, the floor - the bricks in the floor - The crevices between them are quite large and anyone walking over this floor would break their ankle. Consider scaling the floor bricks up to reduce the huge gaps between them, or possibly scale them all 50% smaller, and place them closer together.

The plants that are growing up through the bricks in the floor would be about as thick around the stalk as the fat end of a baseball bat. I think if you made them shorter, skinnier, and had a bit more leafy foliage on them it would help sell the scene a bit better too.

The execution on the art itself is strong, but the scale and proportion of everything in the scene makes it look a bit odd in first person camera. I could see these kinds of proportions if there was a fixed, overhead, isometric camera though. So if you want to sell it that way, I'd suggest framing it as such.

I like your art, I like your website. I think you'll be successful.
  • Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Pope Adam ( haha, dat account name x) )

Sorry for the late answer!

The whole scene is not mentioned to be made by humans, but I understand what you mean. I might want to do a more clear sign that this is made by another lifeform if I am going to pick this scene up agian!

Thank you for all your feedback and constructive critics! Really appreciated! =)